Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: dymt reloaded

Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:32 am

Hope nobody ever gets locked in the server room, too. If you're in there and the internet goes out, do you suffocate? :lol:

That should totally be IoTOT

Off topic: I'm kicking myself for not getting in on the employee stock purchase program right when I started there in 2008. Looking at what would have been the purchase date after that first quarter of eligibility, I'd have around 12x my initial investment. More, actually, since I get a 15% discount.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:18 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Off topic: I'm kicking myself for not getting in on the employee stock purchase program right when I started there in 2008. Looking at what would have been the purchase date after that first quarter of eligibility, I'd have around 12x my initial investment. More, actually, since I get a 15% discount.

I knew a guy who was offered a job at Google right after university, just at the start of the century, and turned it down because he wanted to go to grad school. The offer included stock options as a hiring benefit. When Google went public, he calculated that just the stock options he was offered at hiring would have been worth over $1M, and had a bit of a crisis.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:08 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Hope nobody ever gets locked in the server room, too. If you're in there and the internet goes out, do you suffocate? :lol:

Nahh, the door could be opened from the inside without swiping a badge. And if it didn't, you'd probably cook before you suffocated; there was a huge set of UPSes for all the server gear, but the cooling system did not have a backup power source.

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I knew a guy who was offered a job at Google right after university, just at the start of the century, and turned it down because he wanted to go to grad school. The offer included stock options as a hiring benefit. When Google went public, he calculated that just the stock options he was offered at hiring would have been worth over $1M, and had a bit of a crisis.

When my current employer got bought out last fall a number of the long-time employees became instant millionaires. Unfortunately I had only been there a couple of months, so I did not have any stock options.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:40 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
If you're building an IoT pet feeder, you should probably build in an offline mode.

Actually, if you're building an IoT pet feeder, stop. Just stop.

Didn't Nest build something that relied on their servers for basic functionality, people paid good money for it, and then they shut the servers down a few years later because they discontinued it/got tired of supporting it?

This is exactly the sort of crap I refuse to go along with unless there's a good reason for it. Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't. (Smartphones, I can see it. IoT pet feeders, ehh... Sony bluray player that requires a Sony account to use Netflix, really guys?) Hey, I have a Sony alarm clock from the 80's, dumb as can be, and it keeps on ticking just fine (even though support for it is long gone and I kinda broke some of the mounting pieces trying to take it apart a decade ago :wink:). Seems like some things have gotten more durable/more reliable over the years, and others have become a race to the bottom/race to upgrade to the latest.
Last edited by localhostrulez on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Makes me want to contact myself out. I'll offer a service to check design decisions through simple questions, and 90% of the time, all I will ask is: "what happens when this fails?"

@ localhostrulez, frankly I think a lot of it has to do with designers and engineers being obsessed with what they "can" do without having to think about whether or not they should. I do think that IoT pet feeders and door locks are cool and even useful, and that's why someone is trying to make them work. It's just that the coolness factor can blind designers from all the "what if" questions required for a robust design.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:02 am

Here endeth DYMT-R. It has nothing to do with content and everything to do with a per-thread post limit none of us knew existed until my disastrous attempt to merge ur-DYMT with DYMT-R. Morphine/Bruno sent a dunce cap to the recent BBQ for me to wear, Jeff took pics, and I'm all OK with them being posted. In that fiasco we found that phpBB has a hard-coded limit of 26,500 posts in any one thread. We're knocking on that so it's time for another DYMT. This one will honor she who brought DYMT to us in the first place and shall be called DYMT: Imi's Legacy.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118295
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.