Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

imi
Gerbil Elite

Re: dymt reloaded

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Guess who now works in the UK experian IT department. Career change alert!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:56 pm

imi wrote:

It's our Saint Imi returned after so long!!!

Boffo on the job.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

imi
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 pm

boffo?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:21 pm

imi wrote:
boffo?

Good job, essentially. Or congrats.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:38 pm

BiffStroganoffsky wrote:
It was part of your inclusive backup/redundancy plan.?.

Redundant array of expensive cars? Catchy.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
imi wrote:

It's our Saint Imi returned after so long!!!

Boffo on the job.

Yup, congrats!

Random trivia: My current boss used to work for Experian.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

imi
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:58 pm

thanks all :)

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:09 pm

random question: I've been a pc builder, hobbyist, tinkerer since I was 8 years old. I decided at a young age that I didn't want to do "IT", so I never went after any "formal" training in the field (have a BS in Biology). I have found that extremely well versed in a multitude of software/hardware scenarios, can "learn" a new software thrown at me very quickly, and just "get" computer related activities naturally.....BUT I am terrible with the "book" definition/vocabulary of these things, as well as not having X, Y or Z certification/piece of paper.

Anyways, how do you guys word/describe on a resume / during an interview that kind of experience, especially without it sounding like I'm just some yahoo that is trying to thicken his qualifications section?
I am jaded. I am cynical.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:16 pm

lilbuddhaman wrote:
random question: I've been a pc builder, hobbyist, tinkerer since I was 8 years old. I decided at a young age that I didn't want to do "IT", so I never went after any "formal" training in the field (have a BS in Biology). I have found that extremely well versed in a multitude of software/hardware scenarios, can "learn" a new software thrown at me very quickly, and just "get" computer related activities naturally.....BUT I am terrible with the "book" definition/vocabulary of these things, as well as not having X, Y or Z certification/piece of paper.

Anyways, how do you guys word/describe on a resume / during an interview that kind of experience, especially without it sounding like I'm just some yahoo that is trying to thicken his qualifications section?

Resume would be difficult without something to point to. A published article might suffice, as would listing a specific program OS under a skillset (if you can), but without something solid, I would not add anything.

At the interview, however, you might be able to sneak in the fact that computer stuff has been a hobby for some time. If you can point to your hobby helping you on a "real job," that would certainly get their attention (at least it would mine).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:39 pm

Depending on the type of employer to which you are applying, you might be able to tailor a version of your resume with a brief "Hobbies & Interests" section that includes your self-taught PC troubleshooting and building experience. Obviously you won't get an IT-centric job that way, but at some shops -- particularly the smaller ones where employees have to wear multiple hats -- it might alert your interviewer to the possibility that you can wear at least two.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:46 pm

A truly geek marriage proposal. I likey.

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2013- ... e-proposal

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 am

It's amazing what happens when your city's cut off for 1-2 days O.o The grocery stores on Tuesday afternoon were as barren as I've ever seen a grocery story in my life (and I was working at one when the panic buying happened for 9/11!). Frigging blizzard.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:52 pm

About to leave DMV with the daughter and her shiny new learner's permit.

I need a very stiff drink.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:11 pm

That sounds rough. The people, the lines, and an offspring driving!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Good luck Ned.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:03 pm

All right, give me a hand here.

Each year, 75% of the teams make the playoffs
The past 7 years, this team has not made the playoffs once

What are the odds of that happening?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:12 pm

If the team's players, coaches and management all suck, it's a pretty high percentage.

If the playoff berths were determined simply by randomly drawing the team names out of a hat rather than on the meritorious performance of those teams during the regular season, the probability would be (1/4)^7 = 0.006%.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:15 pm

idchafee wrote:
All right, give me a hand here.

Each year, 75% of the teams make the playoffs
The past 7 years, this team has not made the playoffs once

What are the odds of that happening?

Well, if you are treating the outcome each year as completely random, I believe it would be 0.25^7, or 0.000061. That's roughly 1 in 16,000.

Of course in this case, there's probably a pretty high correlation between sucking one year, and sucking again the next. So it's not a purely random process.

Edit: Oops, JAE beat me to it!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
There's probably a pretty high correlation between sucking one year, and sucking again the next. So it's not a purely random process.
This is where the NFL's genius shows. The draft rewards the teams that miss the playoffs with the first shot at the best available new talent the next year. The schedule strength rewards the bad teams with an easier schedule the next year. The salary cap and revenue sharing ensure that the bad teams have the financial resources to compete with the good ones.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

druidcent

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:31 pm

And then you've got the management and owners to help guarantee that the team will suck again next year :) Glad my team isn't so bad...

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:25 pm

This is where the NFL's genius shows. The draft rewards the teams that miss the playoffs with the first shot at the best available new talent the next year. The schedule strength rewards the bad teams with an easier schedule the next year. The salary cap and revenue sharing ensure that the bad teams have the financial resources to compete with the good ones.

Agreed. I kind of suspect that's part of what's helped make football more appealing again. It isn't just the same 2-3 teams for a decade at a stretch (although you certainly do have dynasties still).

BIF

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:36 am

Guys, are you talking about the National Frisbee League? Or maybe the Nuclear Flambé Lobbyist organization?

I really found the NFL this year to be very boring. I stopped watching right around week 8 and couldn't be bothered to watch the Superbowl until the end of the 3rd quarter, and even then only because I didn't want to see reruns of "The Golden Girls" or "Just Shoot Me".

:-?

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:33 am

I was talking about the Chicago Sky, our local WNBA team. And before you go all LOL on me for following the WNBA, my mom and both kids love it. And even though the WNBA isn't my favorite sporting event to watch, it is sometimes nice to see an actual 5 on 5 basketball game, with pick & rolls, and strategy and all that. I like the NBA, but its really just 5 little games of 1 on 1.

EDIT: but yes, their management and coaching has been suspect almost since day 1
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:58 am

idchafee wrote:
I was talking about the Chicago Sky, our local WNBA team. And before you go all LOL on me for following the WNBA, my mom and both kids love it. And even though the WNBA isn't my favorite sporting event to watch, it is sometimes nice to see an actual 5 on 5 basketball game, with pick & rolls, and strategy and all that. I like the NBA, but its really just 5 little games of 1 on 1.

EDIT: but yes, their management and coaching has been suspect almost since day 1

Do you watch Futurama? ;)
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:56 pm

Finally into the home stretch for the Drunk Monk Challenge this weekend.

I'm 1/2 of the volunteer IT team (with a co-worker) supporting the web app entrants and judges use to register, and 1/2 of the team (with my wife) responsible for recruiting qualified judges and assigning them to flights. It's a challenging optimization problem: given 800+ entries, 100+ judges, and 3 judging sessions, figure out how to ensure that every entry gets judged by at least one BJCP judge of "Certified" rank or higher, that nobody is judging a beer they entered themselves (most people who judge in homebrew competitions are also homebrewers), and that nobody is assigned to judge a style of beer that they have indicated they do not want to judge.

We've successfully worked around all of the bugs (that we know of so far...) in the competition management web app, and judging assignments are done. Competition day is (mostly) the stewarding team's problem now -- they need to get each of those 800+ bottles of beer to the correct judge team, keep things moving along, and collect and tally all of the scoresheets.

I need a beer. Or three. But it'll be even more of a relief come Saturday evening, when this is all history. Who would've thought being a member of a homebrew club could be so much work? :lol:

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:03 pm

just brew it! wrote:
It's a challenging optimization problem...
With a decently-arranged spreadsheet, Solver will give you an optimum solution in seconds.

BIF

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:21 pm

I'd say "TGIF", but it doesn't feel like Friday. It feels like I've already begun next Monday and I still have last Monday's work to do! :x

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Not really original (since there are like 10 of these already) but I was tooting around in iMovie and this was my goal. I learned about splitting clips and selecting the right length so as not to screw up the timing. Not bad for my first project. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWAlfJdfyH0
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:20 am

Not looking forward to DST.

Losing a hour of sleep will suck,big-time.

Bah humbug.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:47 pm

AMD64Blondie wrote:
Not looking forward to DST.

Losing a hour of sleep will suck,big-time.

Bah humbug.

As one of the co-organizers of this event I've been running on fumes for 3 days. Now that the event is behind us, I slept in until around noon. So my internal clock would've been all messed up anyway! :lol: