Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: dymt reloaded

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:35 am

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... 43001.html

I find this even more amazing than the primitive tribes that shun contact with the modern world. This family came from civilization, and intentionally left it behind.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:04 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Well, at least one thing enjoys the cold. The hood scoop on my turbo Subie funneling very cold air to the intercooler has done wonders for instantaneous power response this past couple of days.
I've seen figures of ≈1% horsepower increase per 10°F bandied about on the internet. I know that the seat-of-the-pants dynamometer tells me that my Acura's engine also likes the cold dry mornings much better than our humid summer weather.

If we look at the slopes of the specific volume lines on the psychrometric chart, we can probably calculate the benefit of cold dry air vs. hot humid air with more precision. I expect that the winter gasoline blend helps, too. It's a shame that the cold pavement provides less traction. Also remember that whomever you're racing will benefit from the same ambient conditions that you do. :wink:

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:20 am

Aagh... Once again I can't sleep.

(Doesn't help that I took a 3 hour nap earlier this afternoon.)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:22 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Also remember that whomever you're racing will benefit from the same ambient conditions that you do. :wink:

Having a finely-calibrated butt dyno comes in handy, and I still win most times. Need to evaluate the competition before committing to combat. As for cold-weather traction Subie AWD plus a set of Hakkapeliittas takes care of that.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:07 pm

It's been a while since I've needed to use a psychrometric chart, but here's what I see:

With a (dry bulb) ambient temperature of 95˚F and a wet bulb temperature of 80˚F (about 51% relative humidity), there's 0.019 lbs of water along coming along with each pound of dry air. Each pound of dry air has a specific volume of 144 cubic feet.

With a (dry bulb) ambient temperature of 45˚F and a wet bulb temperature of 34˚F (about 20% relative humidity), there's about 0.0015 lbs of water with each pound of dry air. Each pound of dry air has a specific volume of 127 cubic feet.

Your engine (or turbocharger in your case) might take in 13% more oxygen with each revolution when supplied with the cool dry air rather than the hot humid air.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Your engine (or turbocharger in your case) might take in 13% more oxygen with each revolution when supplied with the cool dry air rather than the hot humid air.

Um, this Vermonter could have told you that. The bitch of it is that when the motor makes the most power the roads are the most unreceptive to that power

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Just missed a call on the cell phone. Reversed the number, it resolves to Wilmington, DE, a/k/a the world's credit card management location. Zarking fardwarks, we're doing this dance again. Call my card's customer service number expecting to get the usual "we'll reissue a new card/number and you'll have it within 2 weeks" game while fully prepared to tell them that I will see it tomorrow AM courtesy of the quickest shipping FedEx can manage.

For some reason their fraud monitor twigged on four absolutely everyday normal charges (gas for both our cars, the prepaid lunch money program at the daughter's school, and an eye exam for the daughter). Sirens stopped howling and my BP might be back down to normal by the time I go to bed in 6 hours or so.

I'm glad they're watching, but they really need to work on the heuristics in their fraud detection given the bog-standard and dreadfully repetitive nature of the twigged charges.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Well, you never know what you'll find when you traipse through Wikipedia and YouTube at the same time.

The Movie: Fast Times at Ridgemont High. A classic of the early '80s teen sexploitation flicks. Phoebe Cates in THAT red bikini. Need I say more. Lovingly "cited" in Fountains of Wayne's "Stacy's Mom".

The Scene: Brad is delivering food wearing his Long John Silver outfit complete with dorky huge hat. Cute blonde comes up alongside in a Vette. Brad makes googoo eyes at her and she finally breaks down in laughter because of the hat. Brad doesn't realize it until he sees the hat in his own rear-view mirror.

The Payoff: The cute blonde in the Vette is Nancy Wilson of Heart fame. Seeing as she's been married to Cameron Crowe (the movie's writer) since forever, it makes perfect sense. Never knew it was Nancy until 5 minutes ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnejXxT_JUA

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Filthy Critic is back!
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:16 am

idchafee wrote:
Filthy Critic is back!

College was Fall '81 to Spring '85. Most of the teen sexploitation movies had already been made or were made during my college years. I remember most of them.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:23 am

Ugh. Will no one rid me of this turbulent Weather Channel and its need to name winter storms?

Thomas, I apologize.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:58 am

Why can't they choose better names that are more representative of the storms, like Fluffy - the Nor'easter! :P

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Ian Anderson and whatever he calls Jethro Tull are touring this spring/summer playing the full Thick as a Brick.

I sense my credit card getting bent soon.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:18 am

OMG. Ten inches of light fluffy powder and the entire local world pre-emptively shuts down.

This is VERMONT!!!. This is normal. You're supposed to be able to deal with an everyday snowstorm. If it was ten inches of mashed potatoes, I'd sympathize. It's 10 inches of fluffy powder. Why aren't you all on the mountain enjoying same (bad knees forced me off the slopes back in the mid-'80s)?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:20 am

There are too many TV stations and not enough content. They have to hype every little event out of proportion.

We're also old enough to remember when New Englanders were hardier folks who didn't panic when it got cold and blustery outside. People who put "Live free or die!" on their license plates should not be such wimps.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:35 am

I think we're JUST under 2 feet. Weather dude said ~22inches.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:56 pm

2 feet...in a place where it snows regularly, often and heavy...and they're freaking out? WTH? In Colorado where I grew up (similar snow occurrences) 2 foot wasn't even a snow day for us.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Uhhh to be fair it doesn't snow two feet in 16 hours in Boston very often.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Thank god for living in Portland,OR.

So glad I missed this foot + of snow.. NOT.

(Wouldn't mind a foot of snow in downtown Portland,OR right now...)

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:01 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
2 feet...in a place where it snows regularly, often and heavy...and they're freaking out? WTH? In Colorado where I grew up (similar snow occurrences) 2 foot wasn't even a snow day for us.

On the front range it would be, if it fall that fast :wink: Nothing unusual for the high country to get that kind of snow, but the population density is a lot lower and the residents are used to it.

When we had a 30-in her back in...was it 2002?...the entire Denver metro pretty much shut down for a day and a half.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:15 pm

late 02 or 03 we had that awful 6 blizzard, I remember that. Yuck.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:25 am

I was there for the blizzard of '78. As an elementary-school student, I enjoyed the sledding opportunity and the school cancellations. :D

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:52 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I was there for the blizzard of '78. As an elementary-school student, I enjoyed the sledding opportunity and the school cancellations. :D

I was 14 at the time and spent the day with Dad in the old Willys CJ-5 running errands for the city gov't who didn't have much in the way of 4WD vehicles available to them. Our mayor "politely requested" anyone with a 4WD to show up at City Hall.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:52 pm

Hmm, the 'Net seems stormy tonight, though the Internet Weather Report says all is fine. Power levels both down & up on the modem are fine, so it must be a Comcast issue. Oh well.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:27 am

A little PUI fun with fractals tonight this morning... (and the 'P' might stand for 'posting' or 'programming', take your pick). Supersampled anti-aliasing FTW; these were generated at approx. 50 megapixels then downsampled. It really brings out the detail, even when displayed at lower resolutions like this!

Edit 2/16: Here's another cool one:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:31 am

Very cool JBI.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Man :( Poor Samuel seems to have my allergies. Poor kid's been sneezing and occasionally retching with mucus this week. I feel exhausted but he feels worse.
Of course I'm using the late nights as a chance to read him LOTR on the kindle :lol: He might as well get a good start with literature and music (lots of metal, some Celtic, some red dirt).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Ugh. Just finished replacing the garage door opener and I'm whacked. Getting too old for this stuff. Major hand cramps really got in the way of progress.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Another weekend, another oil change and tire rotation. Someone remind me why I thought it was a good idea to own two of these hungry machines?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:52 pm

It was part of your inclusive backup/redundancy plan.?.