Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Gun prOn!

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Vrock wrote:
Recoil from a 380? Surely you jest.

There’s a difference between recoil like our little snub-nosed .38-sp revolver and the LCP. The former I expect and can deal with. He latter is downright-scary. Maybe it’s my big hands.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:43 pm

ermo wrote:
Has anyone here shot the CZ P-09? (suppressor-ready / no suppressor)

I like the way it looks and it sounds like it has a reasonably low bore-axis and is quite accurate out of the box?

I live in a country where gun ownership is very restricted compared to the US of A, so it's not like I can just pop down to the nearest gun store or gun show and have look...

I own a somewhat similar model, CZ-75 P-01 (9mm) like this one:

This version of the CZ-75 is all metal alloy so it does have some weight to it even being a compact model.
The slide rail is configured differently keeping a low profile to the barrel which I like and find easy to aim.
CZ's have a good reputation and record of reliability. The NSN# on it this model refers to a national stock number (not a serial #) that is used for ordering/issuing to NATO military member countries. The recessed oval above the trigger holds the disassembly pin which makes it easy to break down and clean.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:58 am

I had a CZ-75 and I regret selling it. It's a superior pistol to the M9 Beretta IMO.
Last edited by Vrock on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:03 am

I sold mine and don't regret it.

It was well made, fairly well finished, and reliable but I just really didn't like shooting it and had a hell of a time being at all accurate with it (other people didn't, and I've got other guns I'm much more accurate with so I'm not sure why). I wanted to like it but didn't. But I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend people try them out either. Well made guns and reasonably priced.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:39 am

Any recommendations for a first time AR-15 buyer? Been eyeing up the S&W Sport II and the Ruger in the budget range, trying to stay sub $700 unless a bit more nets you a much better long term rifle? Just want reliability, not a piece of junk.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:58 am

Welch wrote:
Any recommendations for a first time AR-15 buyer? Been eyeing up the S&W Sport II and the Ruger in the budget range, trying to stay sub $700 unless a bit more nets you a much better long term rifle? Just want reliability, not a piece of junk.

I'm relatively happy with the Colt I bought a few years ago. It shoots fine and hits targets. No complaints.

I'll upgrade the trigger some day to something with a softer touch, but the firmer stock trigger works well enough.

Honestly, if you stay out of the bottom tier of manufacturers, I'm sure they're all good rifles.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:48 pm

Vrock wrote:
I had a CZ-75 and I regret selling it. It's a superior pistol to the M9 Beretta IMO.

I agree, I own the Beretta M9 as well. I don't recommend the Beretta 92 series unless you like a large bulky hand gun since there are so many better designed 9mm firearms out there. For the time (cold war era) it was fine and it served it's purpose as the standard military side arm for many years but the design is outdated now. The open top slide rail will rip up your hand if you try and rack it by hand over the top. I purchased one for my history collection since it's what I trained on during my active duty years and I deployed with it.

The DoD's decision to go with a new modular handgun system was long overdue. The Sig Sauer variants will provide many options.
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017 ... istol.html
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:24 am

I have the Civilian Sig P250. And while it's nice and very modular it's not all that. Mine is a .40 and I usually carry it in subcompact mode. Very rarely do I go full size. The modular system is neat but if you are not careful you could easily mess up the spring of the trigger and firing mechanism.

I do love that its DAO and its a smooth trigger pull.

For the Army to get the most out if it Armorers will have to stock every single grip and caliber barrels en masse, and I just don't see that happening. Given how the supply chains are structured. (I do admit it's probably changed since I was on AD in the 90's)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:52 pm

The Sig MHS seems silly to me for military use. When you get down to brass tacks, you're still just buying another gun. OMG YOU CAN USE THE SAME $20 TRIGGER HOUSING OVER AND OVER. Meh.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 pm

The Cabot Big Bang Pistol Set:

http://cabotgun.com/oak-collection/the- ... tol-set/#1

Built from meteoritic iron. Only $4.5 million for the only pair available
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:13 am

Ok that's freaking cool. If I were to win the lottery.......

I wonder what they weigh.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:47 am

Interesting, but isn't meteorite iron pretty low carbon? Got to wonder about the hardness and strength if it's purely "meteorite metal".

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:20 am

Cabot Guns wrote:
The pistols are fully-functional – and resultant of their National Match barrels, accurate; verified both on the rest and in off-hand shooting. Leaving nothing to chance in terms of functionality, our engineers used electron beam technology to meticulously add bimetal support only to the frame/slide rails, hammer, guide rod and extractor of the Big Bang set. – and the pistol’s components, down to the barrel bushing and trigger – are 100% Gibeon meteorite.

Looks like they strengthened the necessary parts through EBW and didn't even try to use the meteor for the barrels.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:57 pm

This sounds like the setup for a b-rated fantasy novel. "No Earthly weapon may strike me down! So says the Prophecy!"
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Before the iron age of civilizations there was a cosmic magical property attributed to meteorite material since it was much more durable than the bronze weapons. If I had a choice I think a sort of blade would be more appropriate with homage to Tolkien's "Anglachel and Anguirel"
Later, -G8tor

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:19 pm

I finally got a chance to put some rounds through the RM380 and I firmly love it.
The positives: The recoil is quite manageable, right in line with my 9mm Shield. Accuracy wise, I was doing about 6" groupings from around 10 yards out, which is about the same as I can do with the Shield (I need more work on both clearly). I shot the LCP again side-by-side with it and what a word of difference.
The different, but not bad: The trigger pull is really, really long. I'd say almost an inch of travel. It is really smooth and consistent, so I got used to it pretty quick, just very different from any other pistol I've shot
The not ideal: The build quality is pretty good, but the magazine sits proud of the bottom of the handle by about 1mm. You can push it us so that it is flush, but when you release pressure, it pops back out a little. Not a big deal; it doesn't seem to affect the performance and both magazines sit the same way. I'm guessing not as tight tolerances are part of what help it hit the price-point. I'm ok with it. The 2nd quibble is a personal preference in that it doesn't have a manual safety. Since it is a carry gun, I obviously leave one in the chamber. This makes me mildly nervous since there is no safety. I guess with the long trigger pull this reduces the likelihood of it getting caught or bumped. My wife may end up carrying it, so I'll need to make sure that the pocket holster I get for it covers the trigger area fully so that it is safe when thrown in a bag.

Overall I'd give it a 9/10. It was actually enjoyable to shoot, which was a pleasant surprise. I was not originally planning on picking up any FMJ ammo for target shooting, but I guess I will now.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:11 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I finally got a chance to put some rounds through the RM380 and I firmly love it.
Overall I'd give it a 9/10. It was actually enjoyable to shoot, which was a pleasant surprise. I was not originally planning on picking up any FMJ ammo for target shooting, but I guess I will now.

Hickok45 gave it a decent review, not in love with it, but he likes it. I like his video reviews. He's a former LEO and done hundreds of reviews shooting just about everything there is under the sun. He cracks me up when he chuckles as he's plinking away. I wish I lived near him and could just shoot the breeze and try out his target range.
Later, -G8tor

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:25 pm

I don't think I've seen him review a gun he didn't like, except maybe hi point
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

ermo
Gerbil

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:06 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
The Cabot Big Bang Pistol Set:

http://cabotgun.com/oak-collection/the- ... tol-set/#1

Built from meteoritic iron. Only $4.5 million for the only pair available

Pardon me for thinking that creating an interesting time-piece of sorts would've been a much more appropriate and worthwhile endeavour given the origins and history of the metal.
Linux: 2x FX-8350, 16/32GB, GTX970/HD7970, Solus+KDE/Exherbo+Xfce
Hackintosh: i7-2600K, 32GB, HD7970, High Sierra
HTPC: Q9400, 8GB, GTS 450, Solus/GNOME
Server: FX-8350, 16GB ECC, iGP, F30/Srv
Wintendo: R7 2700X, 32GB, 2x RX Vega 64 (air), W10Pro

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03 pm

So Remington is looking to declare bankruptcy. Accordingly to this bloomberg article (ironic source), since Hillary didn't get elected, people aren't hoarding guns as much. :lol:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... bankruptcy

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:36 am

The few people at local stores I talk to said sales are down...but as far as Remington, they've been mismanaged since the buyout. Crappy QC, nearly no innovation, and high prices in an increasingly competitive marketplace are not good for success.

My grandfather passed after about a month in hospice; we're all going to meet in early March to go over his guns. He only had 7, but most of them were pretty good. There's a M77 257 Roberts and a Remington 700 in 30-06 I'd kinda like. Nostalgia for both of them runs high. I mostly learned to shoot rifles on that 257. My brother's getting the M1 Garand. IDK if my cousin wants anything or not; he may get the truck tbh.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:19 am

My condolences, Paul.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:50 am

Thanks...he'd been in a dementia wing of a nursing home for ~8 months before going into hospice. Crappy way to go out. We're torn between sad and relieved tbh.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:15 pm

Com-bloc handgun day at the range today. I have some cleaning to do this evening.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Can you enlighten me as to the makes/models there? Do you still post stuff on your blog?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Well, the one on the far right is a CZ. 52 (or something within that family).

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:57 pm

My project 870 is physically completed; but does anyone have experience using chemical bluing treatments? I'm probably going to clean up the wood but otherwise leave it alone, but the finish is flat gone from the magazine and the receiver.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:44 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Can you enlighten me as to the makes/models there? Do you still post stuff on your blog?

Left to right: Polish P-83 Wanad, Bulgarian PM, Polish P-64, and Czech Vz.52.

The first three all fire the 9x18 Makarov cartridge, and the last the 7.62x25 Tokarev.

The blog is dead for now. Just don't have the time.
Last edited by Vrock on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:46 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
My project 870 is physically completed; but does anyone have experience using chemical bluing treatments? I'm probably going to clean up the wood but otherwise leave it alone, but the finish is flat gone from the magazine and the receiver.
Cold blues are worthless for anything besides screw heads IMO. If you want it blued, take it to a Smith. Otherwise, consider Duracoat or even Alumnahyde, they are spray in finishes and work quite well.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Vrock wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:
Cold blues are worthless for anything besides screw heads IMO. If you want it blued, take it to a Smith. Otherwise, consider Duracoat or even Alumnahyde, they are spray in finishes and work quite well.

Wonder what the cost for re-bluing a super Blackhawk would be? Mine has seen better days since it was made in the early 70's.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x