Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Gun prOn!

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Heads up to anyone reading this: Academy's got a pretty big clearance thing. I'm sure prices vary by location but I got a blued 6" Ruger GP100 for 499.89 this morning

Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:25 am

Great deal on a great revolver. If I didn't have one already, I'd be all over that.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:43 pm

I traded into a 41 magnum Taurus Raging Bull this morning. Lets see how this goes :D  Hoping to test it out next week when my brother's in town. 
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:38 pm

So I finally got around to going hunting this past weekend with a group of guys from... well, "work" in that they're fellow enthusiasts from my time in the secret squirrel spaces. I didn't actually work with them. What an interesting experience. There was much walking involved. Much. Walking. Through brambles, up ridges, down ravines and most of it as quietly as possible. A thoroughly miserable experience. Surprisingly, a successful shot will make you forget most of all of that fuss for a few hours. Well, until you sit down for more than 5 minutes and your muscles start to scream again. I'm too old for this crap.

Anyhow, the rifle is a Steyr Scout Rifle in .308 Winchester. We were all shooting Hornady Full Boar in various calibers (a lot of .223, one 7.62mm, a few 300 Blackout, a couple of .308 and one 50 Beowulf).
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:18 pm

1: I always pictured you being younger.

2: Nice oinker! 

I'm at about 300 rounds through the Ruger and about 100 through the Taurus; both are fine so far, but I have to old a bit right of where I want to hit. 

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:27 pm

speaking of hogs...we're mostly using our tax rebate responsibly this year (yay) but I did order a Savage Hog Hunter in 308 with part of it :D Should be here in 2-3 weeks. Did a store to store transfer with Academy because they have it at 480 and everyone else is like 515 or higher. Now I have to decide on a scope; kind of leaning towards a prostaff 5 or something. And a decent sling.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:35 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Now I have to decide on a scope.........

Shameless plug: http://www.vortexoptics.com/
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:51 pm

I've got a crossfire II on a 223 that I like and the SPARC II on my cheaper AR so I know the brand.

Kind of looking at a Vortex Diamondback, Nikon Prostaff 5 or an SWFA fixed power (probably 6 or 8x). Anything in the mid 200 to 300 range. I know they're all good so it's just picking between good options I guess

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Darkmage wrote:
So I finally got around to going hunting this past weekend with a group of guys from... well, "work" in that they're fellow enthusiasts from my time in the secret squirrel spaces. I didn't actually work with them. What an interesting experience. There was much walking involved. Much. Walking. Through brambles, up ridges, down ravines and most of it as quietly as possible. A thoroughly miserable experience. Surprisingly, a successful shot will make you forget most of all of that fuss for a few hours. Well, until you sit down for more than 5 minutes and your muscles start to scream again. I'm too old for this crap.

Anyhow, the rifle is a Steyr Scout Rifle in .308 Winchester. We were all shooting Hornady Full Boar in various calibers (a lot of .223, one 7.62mm, a few 300 Blackout, a couple of .308 and one 50 Beowulf).
Been a long time since we met up in NOVA and I bought that Hi-Point from you. The beard suits you! And nice hog.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:54 pm

Vrock wrote:
And nice hog.
Even better, one that won't be making more hogs. Glad we don't have them up here, though we do have coyotes/coy-dogs in abundance. Saw 6 road kill today on a 77 mile drive to work this AM. They're the only critter VT allows to be hunted year-round, with lights, and with no license or tagging rules. If they'd put a bounty on them, the Northeast Kingdom (where I've been road-working) would finally have a cash crop and Bob knows they need one.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:00 pm

They apparently tried putting a bounty on hogs on Ft. Benning a few years back. Alas, they had a cobra effect going on after a while and they discontinued the program. Now they just make it as easy as possible to hunt hogs. There's no season for them, the license is about 1/8th of a deer license and you can shoot hogs whilst hunting deer. They trap about 1100 per year on the base and they give them away to anyone who wants them. While I was wandering through the woods, you can see the damage they cause everywhere. It's as if someone decided to draw tracks in the dirt with the heel of their boot.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:25 pm

I've seen/read all about the damage they can cause. Quite happy that they can't do VT winters.

We'd have to kill a whole lot of coy-dogs before farming them became profitable.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:23 am

It's as if someone decided to draw tracks in the dirt with the heel of their boot.

They're also the only critters I've seen that can destroy prickly pear and mesquite thickets like they do. It's absolutely freaky to walk up to an acre or more of prickly pear only to realize it's all been uprooted and eaten on and that the whole thing's a wash. Hell on ground nesting birds, small animals, reptiles, etc.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:20 am

Did you get some good pork chops and bacon out of the deal?

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 pm

No bacon, but some good chops and ribs. Also two shoulders and two hams. We took the spine and slow cooked it for a day to get the meat off of it. Added some beans and turned it into a stew. The ribs are very different than farm raised ribs. Not nearly as thick bones and not much fat on them at all. Of course, I did most of the work, so I trimmed as much fat as I could. This hunting thing is a metric buttload of work.

The lack of fat threw off my smoking technique. The flavor was great, but the ribs were really dry. I'm going to put 'em in foil for longer next time and add some butter to the foil packet.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:25 am

The only ribs I've ever really liked came off a wild boar. Friend marinated them in a whiskey/brown sugar mix and smoked them with as much of that in the foil wrapping as he could get. Glorious ribs.

In the last few months I've wound up with that GP 100, a Taurus Raging Bull in 41 magnum (fun fun fun) and just yesterday a Ruger Vaquero in 357. Haven't shot that yet--the whole fam damily is sick and it's no fun to shoot if you're puking.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the Taurus actually. I know their reputation sucks but the guns' been fine so far

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:33 pm

41 magnum is an interesting cartridge, but one you really need to handload if you're going to any serious shooting and/or want to get the most from it.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:08 pm

I've just been using the less expensive remington plinking ammo; I plan to buy a set of dies but I've got an electricians bill and a car repair I have to pay for this month :evil: Also looking for good solid bullets to buy for it. Figure I'll just reuse my brass; it came with 50, and I've got 150 rounds plus what I shot, so it isn't like I'm swimming in brass but it isn't like this is a gun I'm going to shoot by the thousands either. I may buy some bear loads for it too; 230 grains at 1800 FPS sounds pretty good for a handgun. Bet it kicks like a bastard, but it'll be good for any cranky black bears on our (possible) fall NM trip this year too

Though when/if I buy that Henry in 41 that may change.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:56 am

My hog hunter is back at savage. It came into Academy...and the damn action was cut wrong. You couldn't even get the bolt in. So frustrated.

On the happier side a nearby pawnshop had a Glenfield Model sixty for 85 bucks. Significant wear in the trigger guard and visible wear on the stock but seems in good mechanical shape. Also I can't tell if they put an aftermarket stock on it or it came with a fancy stock but it's got some carvings and nice checkering which I haven't seen in a model 60 before

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:18 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I've been pleasantly surprised by the Taurus actually. I know their reputation sucks but the guns' been fine so far

I own a Beretta M9 (92FS) and my brother-in-law has a Taurus PT92 which is the Beretta clone. Just for fun we did a comparison at the range. The Taurus build quality was noticeably less refined and it had trouble with its magazine loading however I was able to shoot more accurately with it. Probably because it had the three-point sites and my M9 has the mil-spec "dot over the i" site which takes some adjusting after shooting mostly a six-oclock site picture. My favorite hand gun is my first and still own Springfield Armory (compact) 1911-45ACP. Accurate and reliable but a pain to break down and clean. I don't own a revolver however I've always been attracted to the Ruger GP100-357mag.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:58 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
My hog hunter is back at savage. It came into Academy...and the damn action was cut wrong. You couldn't even get the bolt in. So frustrated

I recently restored an old Savage 30-30. It's a short length "bush rifle" for the wild hogs we called "Piney Wood Rooters" in FL. Mainly for close range shots due to it being more like a carbine in size. Also good for white tails at less than 100 yds. It's was a cheap rifle sold in hardware stores back in the 1970's but Savage barrels were built to last.

Before:

After cleaning up the rust/patina and refurbishing the stock:
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Vrock wrote:
The best buy in milsurps is probably the Yugo Mausers (either M48 or M24/47) chambered in 8mm Mauser. That being said, I wouldn't recommend either to a new shooter.

I enjoy collecting milsurps that are historic and fully operational. Mostly own USGI Springfields since I'm retired USAF, had family members in the Army and I like military history even when I was forced to study it for PME. I visited the US Ordnance Springfield Armory museum in MA a few months ago and had a good time speaking with the park rangers learning the history of US rifle development and John Garand's work when he was employed there.
My two favorite milsurp shooters currently:
- M1898 Springfield Krag-Jorgenson 30-40 based on the Norwegian design with the neat flip-out loading cartridge box which was very innovative over 100 years ago. It has the smoothest bolt action I've ever experienced.
- K31 Swiss Karabiner. This is little rifle is super accurate and I've nailed bull's eyes numerous times at 100 yds with the standard iron sites. The straight-pull bolt is just fun to use too.
The 7.5x55mm Swiss ammo is not the cheapest ammo but I do see GP11 surplus for sale quite often and it is high quality.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K31
I'll probably use the K31 with soft point ammo next time I go deer hunting.
Later, -G8tor

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:34 pm

I have always wanted a K31, but have been unable to find one under $800 that doesn't look like it was chewed by a gang of beavers.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:26 pm

Vrock wrote:
I have always wanted a K31, but have been unable to find one under $800 that doesn't look like it was chewed by a gang of beavers.

True, there are still many for sell $300-$500 however wood stock conditions are in rough shape usually and the Beech wood does not look good compared to Walnut IMO. The Swiss took good care of the barrels, kept them cleaned/oiled, but beat the hell out of the stocks during training.

Mine was a lucky find a few years ago. Some nicks/dings but stock had most of it's finish left. Also forgot to mention these have smooth trigger action too.
Later, -G8tor

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri May 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Never sell that! Unless you want to sell it to me. :)

Here's my best five shot group of the day (at 100 yards) from my Mosul-Nagano PU Sniper. It measured 0.870". Sure with a trigger job, a modern scope, and a better shooter that 1/2" groups would be the norm.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:08 pm

Spent 6 hours in Bass Pro this morning to pick up a couple deals. $199 for a 20 ga. Remington shotgun. I have a friends 12-ga that I’m babysitting, but it isn’t fun to shoot honestly. too much buck. Also picked up the RM380 for $170. I want something to carry smaller ham my Shield, which for some situations is too large. I’ve shot the LCP and I really didn’t like the feel of it. I’ve heard the Remington is better at recoil, so we’ll see. If price were no object, I’d prefer the Bodyguard, but the real world
Involves a budget. Alas. If I don’t like it I’ll relegate it to back-up purposes.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:47 pm

I've never found a real pocket 380 that didn't suck to shoot

Gebo's has a RIA 9mm 1911 for 300 in the black friday ad but I just bought a new barbell online too...decisions decisions...

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Recoil from a 380? Surely you jest.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Full sized or close ones are easy but the little pocket ones are *snappy*. I like shooting my LC9 more than an LCP

ermo
Gerbil

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Has anyone here shot the CZ P-09? (suppressor-ready / no suppressor)

I like the way it looks and it sounds like it has a reasonably low bore-axis and is quite accurate out of the box?

I live in a country where gun ownership is very restricted compared to the US of A, so it's not like I can just pop down to the nearest gun store or gun show and have look...

Linux: 2x FX-8350, 16/32GB, GTX970/HD7970, Solus+KDE/Exherbo+Xfce
Hackintosh: i7-2600K, 32GB, HD7970, High Sierra
HTPC: Q9400, 8GB, GTS 450, Solus/GNOME
Server: FX-8350, 16GB ECC, iGP, F30/Srv
Wintendo: R7 2700X, 32GB, 2x RX Vega 64 (air), W10Pro