Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:09 pm

Nice stuff, LFK, though I still don't understand why some people prefer carbine style AR's.

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
Anyone else worried that post 08' elections hold a re-enacting of the AWB?

A bit, but I rather expect some sort of regulatory action if things go that direction. Sort of like the OSHA attempt to destroy the civilian ammunition market that was just put off by the public uproar during the comment period. If Congress does it, they know many people will hold them accountable.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:24 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Nice stuff, LFK, though I still don't understand why some people prefer carbine style AR's.
Thanks. I prefer the A2 furniture, but went with the adjustable for my kids. :wink:

At least I didn't go this route... http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=61&t=156130
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:36 pm

I meant the shortened barrel.

My stomach actually flipped a little on first seeing that picture. Then again, once you get used to it, and since it's not all that expensive... if your girl wanted it, hey, why not? As long as you keep the orgiinal stuff. :wink:

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:40 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
I meant the shortened barrel.
I hear ya. I went back and forth between a 20" HBAR and the 16" CAR. In the end, I went with the better package deal.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:25 pm

Anyone else worried that post 08' elections hold a re-enacting of the AWB?
Not if they know what's good for 'em. And that's as far into R&P territory as we should go right now.

My newest baby is a Glock 30 to replace my SW99. Now I get to accessorize!
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

BoBzeBuilder
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:07 pm

Is this **** legal? You guys are a bunch of nut cases, seriously. Glad I'm living in Canada. The craziest thing I saw in my life was my friend getting punched in the face in grade school.
i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz / Cooler Master V8 / Asus P8P67 Evo / 8GB G.skill DDR3-1600 / Zotac GTX 780 3GB / Seasonic S12-650 / Samsung 850pro 256GB SSD / Corsair 600T Graphite / those cheap 1440p Korean monitors

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:22 pm

BoBzeBuilder wrote:
Is this **** legal? You guys are a bunch of nut cases, seriously. Glad I'm living in Canada. The craziest thing I saw in my life was my friend getting punched in the face in grade school.
Everything posted in this thread is legal....unless you live in Kalifornia (heh). With an attitude like yours, I'm glad you live in Canada too. We don't need anyone else that associates firearms with nut cases and crazies. :roll:

Also, What does getting punched in the face have to do with guns? Was that why your friend got punched? The last anti-gun person to threaten me with a punch in the face did it <a href="http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40599&start=33">over words</a>, not guns. :D

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:39 pm

BoBzeBuilder wrote:

Yes, it's all legal. If you'd like to argue otherwise, or continue your thought that gun owners are nut cases, please feel free to do so in R&P.

Thanks for listening.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:14 pm

Darkmage wrote:
My newest baby is a Glock 30 to replace my SW99. Now I get to accessorize!
What, no pictures? There was once a time when Pr0n meant something! :wink:

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:51 am

What, no pictures? There was once a time when Pr0n meant something! :wink:
Okay! Okay! I'll take some tonight when I get home. I've been out of town this weekend, including a road trip to Illinois, which is not exactly a gun-friendly state.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:08 pm

Not to be a jerk or anything, but a picture of a Glock? That's like a picture of a flatbed truck, or a golf cart, or someone's grandmother, or something. :P

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:33 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Not to be a jerk or anything, but a picture of a Glock? That's like a picture of a flatbed truck, or a golf cart, or someone's grandmother, or something. :P
I'll try to make it interesting. :)

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:38 pm

As promised... an "interesting" picture. Thanks to generous firearms laws in Virginia, and a very patient and tolerating wife. :D

Behold! My new Glock 30...

**EDIT BY MOD: Removed image. Sorry, goes a bit over the line for rule #8. -Kevin**

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:10 pm

Sorry. Is this one better?

Last edited by Darkmage on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:12 pm

That passes the Kevin test.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:41 pm

Darkmage wrote:
Sorry. Is this one better?
I can't speak for Dan, but I thought it was nice. :D But...I still want to see the one I missed... :-?

Is it her gun or your gun?

DASQ
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:17 pm

BoBzeBuilder wrote:

I live in Canada. I've only got two rifles and a shotgun (M1 Garand, Kar 98k, and a Winchester 1897 copy by Norinco). You'd be surprised how many gun owners there are in Canada.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:57 pm

At least she's using proper form!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:53 am

:o
You're lucky Darkmage.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:29 am

Is it her gun or your gun?
That one is mine. Still new in the box with only the two rounds fired through it by Glock at the factory.

She has her own. ;)

paulWTAMU wrote:
You're lucky Darkmage.
That I am. :D

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:59 pm

Sorry, couldn't get my wife to strip down to her panties....

Well, actually, I couldn't get her to do anything related to this picture. :-?

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:46 pm

Sorry for two in a row, but I just picked up my first Glock.

I've shot my brother's Glock (10mm) and I've shot my other brother's girl friend's Glock (.40 S&W), but I never had a Glock of my own....until now.

Haven't fired it yet, but did already spend $$ on a Glock Light+laser for the rail. I plan on putting my Browning HP in the safe, and using this as my primary "bump-in-the-night" gun.

This thing is big! Makes my old 1911 seem small in my hand, and I'm not a little guy. :o

So, Darkmage....you mentioned that your wife was carry this when you met, and I think there's a picture of a 21 on her side around here somewhere)...is there a trick to holding the thing while firing? I've owned some big handguns, but the grip on the 21 is in a whole different ballpark. Anything I need to know about Glocks?

Can't wait to hit the range with it! :D :D

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:53 pm

Sorry for two in a row, but I just picked up my first Glock.

I've shot my brother's Glock (10mm) and I've shot my other brother's girl friend's Glock (.40 S&W), but I never had a Glock of my own....until now.

Haven't fired it yet, but did already spend $$ on a Glock Light+laser for the rail. I plan on putting my Browning HP in the safe, and using this as my primary "bump-in-the-night" gun.

This thing is big! Makes my old 1911 seem small in my hand, and I'm not a little guy. :o

So, Darkmage....you mentioned that your wife was carry this when you met, and I think there's a picture of a 21 on her side around here somewhere)...is there a trick to holding the thing while firing? I've owned some big handguns, but the grip on the 21 is in a whole different ballpark. Anything I need to know about Glocks?

Can't wait to hit the range with it! :D :D

That's nice. Wish i was 21 or new somebody that would sell me a pistol. When I turn 21 i'll pick something up, any suggestions for a first?
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Deathright
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:03 am

BoBzeBuilder wrote:

I use to live in a Canada, I use to feel the same way about guns. That changed when I moved to the states. Since then I have fired both AKs and AR's, 12 gauge shotguns, etc.
Network theory sucks.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:09 am

Good idea. Lights on pistols is a wonderful combination. I'm surprised gun manufacturers haven't started trying to incorporate them together. Kind of like the cell phone/digital camera merger.

So, Darkmage....you mentioned that your wife was carry this when you met, and I think there's a picture of a 21 on her side around here somewhere)...
That would be here.:)

is there a trick to holding the thing while firing? I've owned some big handguns, but the grip on the 21 is in a whole different ballpark. Anything I need to know about Glocks?
Actually, yes. Because Glocks are so light compared to steel or aluminum frame handguns, you need to keep a firmer grip on it. If you limp-wrist while firing it, the slide will rise up and snatch the case before it clears the ejection port. You'll end up with a stovepipe. It's not like you have to keep a death grip on it, but you can't shoot with a limp wrist.

Other than that, make sure you get as high a grip as you can with it. The web of your thumb should be jammed up tight to the top of the backstrap. You should be fine.

Congrats on your new Glock!

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:38 pm

I want a barrett 82A1

until I get a huge piece of land I can safely use one on, I don't think I'll get into firearms.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:21 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
That's nice. Wish i was 21 or new somebody that would sell me a pistol. When I turn 21 i'll pick something up, any suggestions for a first?
Suggestion: try before you buy. There's probably a local gun range that rents. Find something you like. Have a friend who's into guns introduce you to several models and have them explain what makes them different.

What are your goals? Fun plinking? Self-defense? Ride the recoil? :)

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

My new baby

Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:22 pm

Kimber CDP Pro II, .45, 4" model. It passes through Kimber's custom shop, getting checkering on the front of the magazine well and under the trigger, night sites, and ambidextrous safety, as well as a bunch of rounded edges all over, to make for a better carry weapon.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:00 pm

That's a sweet-looking shootin' iron.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:03 pm

Ooooooh... me like!