Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Darkmage
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Re: Gun prOn!

Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:49 pm

That sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. I'm very jealous. We were planning on going to the range for the holiday yesterday, but 3 inches of snow stopped that cold. Heh.

When taking friends out to the range, I try to remember to swing by the grocery store on the way out there. Tangerines are usually cheap for the number, as are key limes. Key limes are not large targets, so careful shooting is required.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:32 pm

I like grapefruit, cantaloupes, etc. Acorn squash if they're cheap at the time are fantastic--they tend to make this really great explodey sound.

What distance do you shoot key limes at? I'm doing good to hit tangerines and the like at 20 with a 1911 :oops:
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Darkmage
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:41 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
What distance do you shoot key limes at? I'm doing good to hit tangerines and the like at 20 with a 1911 :oops:
50 yards or so if we're taking friends to the range. We let them shoot the Ruger Charger and it gives them a good feeling of accomplishment.

If it's just me & SWMBO, 100 yards with the precision rifles. We haven't tried it on the 200 yard range yet. Maybe this year.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:37 am

[quoteIf it's just me & SWMBO, 100 yards with the precision rifles. We haven't tried it on the 200 yard range yet. Maybe this year.
][/quote]

Holy crap. Once I finish my zeros I'll give that a go. I have a hunch it's going to be a pain int he butt and a learning experience but that's how you get better
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Darkmage
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:02 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Holy crap. Once I finish my zeros I'll give that a go. I have a hunch it's going to be a pain in the butt and a learning experience but that's how you get better
It's not so tough as you'd think. Shooting from a bench, no time limit, big honking rifles. At 100 yards, the key lime is about 1.5 MOA. Of course, at 200 it's going to get interesting. Maybe we'll work up to that.

Masha
Gerbil In Training

Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:42 am

Bleh. Except my BB gun nothing else. I don't even think civilians are allowed to have guns here

Darkmage
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Masha wrote:
Bleh. Except my BB gun nothing else. I don't even think civilians are allowed to have guns here

I need more clues.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:19 pm

Masha wrote:

I demand pictures of this BB gun.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:21 pm

Not a BB gun. Wears a Ziess 4-12x on it and a sling set up like the appleseed shooters. So far I haven't really gotten to stretch it but I figure I'll finish sight in over spring break (my wife's going to classes for a Computer Engineering/Systems Information degree so time is tight). I plan to zero just an inch or two high at 100 yards.

Recoil is very mild and groups are very tight if I'm slow and steady; I've only been using the cheap Prvi Partizan 139 grain FMJ's but at 100 yards they were just a hair over an inch for a 5 shot group. Pretty happy with it. Ugly, but accurate and comfortable to shoot

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:45 am

What caliber again? 25-06?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:06 pm

6.5x55. The place I ordered the 25-06 from went tits up before it got there.

FWIW I got it as a package deal but sold the scope for 75 bucks and put the better glass on it...so the rifle wound up costing me in the mid 400s. Not top of the line but I'm pretty happy with the Howa

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:47 pm

I really like my 6.5x55, you'll enjoy yours. Soft shooting, accurate.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:33 pm

It's the rifle that's pushing me into reloading though. Prvi isn't that expensive but it's about the only load Ic an find reliably (139 FMJs or softpoint)

Darkmage
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:11 pm

A couple guys at work are getting into 6.5mm. They seem to like it a lot. I'm tempted to go that way myself for the next long range rifle.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:41 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
It's the rifle that's pushing me into reloading though. Prvi isn't that expensive but it's about the only load Ic an find reliably (139 FMJs or softpoint)

You can reload for like $30. Buy a LEE loader.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:29 pm

I'm torn between a single stage and a turret...probably order the single stage (along with the monthly order of diapers and wipes) from amazon tomorrow. You know any good inexpensive places for reloading supplies? I know Monmouth, Midway and Brownells but Midway and Brownells ain't cheap

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:23 am

Get a LEE Classic Turret kit if you are going that route. You are looking at $220 for one. It's worth it. I would not buy a single stage press kit, you won't save much money and you lose a ton of speed.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:21 am

I wasn't sure if the kit would be a good option; a lot of the reviews of the kit were kind of meh. people loved the press itself, just not the stuff the came with it...but since I'm brand new to it it'd be at least a starting point and I can upgrade individual things later I guess.

Also; if you reload for 6.5 and have Academy near you, mine's clearancing out some 6.5x55mm Hornady bullets in 129 and 140 grain. Not super cheap but cheaper than Midway seems to be at least.

I'm just not sure where the point is that it's worth going with a turret vs a single stage as far as volume. It isn't like I shoot tons and tons of 6.5, but I also kind of want to reload for .41 mag and 257 roberts

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:43 pm

went ahead and ordered the Lee classic turret press; now to figure out what other components I need/want to buy. I know I need a powder scale and dies; but I found a ton of different types of rifle dies. And extra turrets for the press too...I figure as cheap as they are I can just leave one set up per caliber.

Something to resize the cases with, or does the press do that? And a cleaner of some sort.

Darkmage
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:58 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
You know any good inexpensive places for reloading supplies? I know Monmouth, Midway and Brownells but Midway and Brownells ain't cheap

Midsouth Shooters Supply usually has a deep discount on Hornady stuff. Other than that, they're usually slightly more expensive than Midway. Another place to look is Green Top and, of course, the used market. My local gun board has used single stage presses for sale & dies all the time.

paulWTAMU wrote:
I know I need a powder scale and dies; but I found a ton of different types of rifle dies. And extra turrets for the press too...I figure as cheap as they are I can just leave one set up per caliber.
Refresh my memory: Are you looking for plinking/hunting/trigger time ammo? Or long range competition stuff? Because the list of things for the latter is long. :-?

You've got the scale & dies on your list. You'll also need:
Cleaning tumbler. I have Frankford Arsenal tumbler that is cheap, but it will work for years. Don't buy the gun cleaning media, buy something called Lizard Litter. It's the same stuff: crushed walnuts. Lizard Litter is cheaper. You'll also want a media separator. Something to pull your cases out of your cleaning media. Again, Frankford Arsenal is cheap and effective and they are sold together as a kit. Also, start saving your dryer sheets if you use them. Put one in with your cases and it will keep the dust down.

Case trimmer. Something like this one from Hornady. The exact brand really doesn't matter all that much (mine is RCBS).

A set of calipers. It can be dial or electronic.

Case chamfer and debur tool. This will clean up the edge left over from the case trimmer. Exact brand doesn't matter.

Case lubricant. You can buy the Dillon Case Lube, but it's really just 99% isopropyl alcohol and lanolin. If you're on a budget, it's cheaper to make your own case lube. So, add a 20 oz spray bottle, 99% isopropyl alcohol and food-grade lanolin to your shopping list. When you're ready, come back and I'll tell you my technique for lubing cases the easy way (instead of with a case lube mat).

And lastly... you'll want an impact puller. Because you'll make mistakes and have to take 'em apart.

paulWTAMU wrote:
Something to resize the cases with, or does the press do that? And a cleaner of some sort.
The dies will come with a sizer die that will resize the case and remove the primer if there is one.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:13 am

Hunting/regular range ammo.

Anyone got experience with Everglades Ammo? I haven't seen a whole lot of reviews; what I have seen is generally positive.

I picked up 300 6.5mm bullets today (only sold in 100 packs). 139, 140 and 143 grain weights, Hornady Interlock. Got 1k S&B rifle primers for 22 bucks from a local shop. I wouldn't have bought that many but he said they only sell primers by the thousand.

EDIT: I guess I thought the dies would handle resizing the brass, making me not need a trimmer. Bummed to see I was wrong, particularly as trimmers seem to cost 70 bucks!

So for a caliper:
http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-01407A-Elec ... 833&sr=1-1 seems to be a best seller with decent ratings?

for a cleaner:
http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal ... rd+arsenal

I have *tons* of lizard litter, if you're talking about the pet stuff. It's crappy as animal bedding so it'd be nice to get use out of it... :lol:

For a scale:
http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-205205- ... wder+scale

None of the case trimmers seem to come with 6.5mm pilots, boo.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00162PUFG/ref ... NS70J4E1M4 for dies

Would pretty much cover it?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:09 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I'm just not sure where the point is that it's worth going with a turret vs a single stage as far as volume. It isn't like I shoot tons and tons of 6.5, but I also kind of want to reload for .41 mag and 257 roberts
At some point you'll no doubt want to load other calibers too. The turret press greatly speeds up loading pistol ammo and .223 vs. a single stage. Three (or four) pulls of the lever, and you have a loaded cartridge.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:14 am

For low volume rifle shooting, you can't beat a Lee case trimmer for price.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136199 ... -ball-grip

Add a gauge and shell holder:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/755274 ... ish-mauser

Since you have a bolt gun, consider investing in neck sizing dies. They will make sizing much easier (lube not needed) and potentially increase accuracy, and your brass will last longer. The downside is you will only be able to shoot your ammo in your gun. You can always get a full length sizer later if you want.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/933759 ... ish-mauser

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:41 am

I'm confused about neck sizing I guess; I thought everything would be standard sized? Why would I only be able to shoot my ammo in my rifle?

Darkmage
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:30 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Hunting/regular range ammo.
Anyone got experience with Everglades Ammo? I haven't seen a whole lot of reviews; what I have seen is generally positive.
I use their bullets for reloading plinking .223. I'm afraid that's all I've used them for.

paulWTAMU wrote:
EDIT: I guess I thought the dies would handle resizing the brass, making me not need a trimmer. Bummed to see I was wrong, particularly as trimmers seem to cost 70 bucks!
You're correct. The resizing die will shape the case back into shape, compressing it a bit from where it expanded when you fired it. However, as the case expands & then gets contracted, it gets longer. You're working the brass and technically thinning it out. Eventually, you need to trim off the excess length. You can probably shoot & reload a couple times before it would become an issue. So this is a purchase you delay a bit.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:38 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I'm confused about neck sizing I guess; I thought everything would be standard sized? Why would I only be able to shoot my ammo in my rifle?
Think of it this way: When you shoot your rifle, the brass case expands to fill the chamber, then slightly contracts. Brass is elastic, to a degree. What you have afterwards is a case that's been fire-formed for your chamber. If you resize only the neck to get the tension back you need to hold the bullet (vs. full length resizing the entire case), the rest of the case will be (in theory) perfectly supported by the chamber. Neck sizing is only recommended in bolt guns due to the camming action and force exerted by manually chambering a round. Semi-autos and pumps don't necessarily chamber rounds with the same force.

As for why it would only work in your particular rifle, different chambers have slightly different dimensions, and therefore headspace. Your rounds may work in another rifle, or the may not. It's luck of the draw.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Darkmage wrote:
You're correct. The resizing die will shape the case back into shape, compressing it a bit from where it expanded when you fired it. However, as the case expands & then gets contracted, it gets longer. You're working the brass and technically thinning it out. Eventually, you need to trim off the excess length. You can probably shoot & reload a couple times before it would become an issue. So this is a purchase you delay a bit.
In my experience is also seems to depend on the chamber of the rifle. Those with longer headspace will stretch faster/more. My .30 carbine, for example, required trimming pretty much every loading. My AR_15s, I can usually get away with 2 or 3 loads before I have to trim.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:46 pm

Vrock wrote:
Semi-autos and pumps don't necessarily chamber rounds with the same force.

At least on my Rem Model 760 pump (.270 Win) case length and headspace are the driving factors in safely reloading. Neck-only just doesn't work in that rifle. If the empty brass comes out with dimples on the neck it's time to set the trimmer a couple of mils shorter.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:57 pm

I got to shoot an Anschutz and a custom'd out Mk II (not III) today. I was shooting at the range, and having a hell of a time of it (a combination of a hangover and high winds). Older gent in his 70s pulled up, and offered to let me shoot a few from his Anschutz if I let him shoot a few from my Howa. Not a hard choice. Even with a 2 star hangover and gusty winds that was awesome.

Holy crap I didn't know rifles could be that nice.

Darkmage
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:36 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
If the minimum price is $70, you may wish to consider a Little Crow Gunworks World's Finest Trimmer. They're not suitable for competition, but for making hunting ammunition or plinking ammunition, they are fantastic. I have one for .223 and it speeds up the process considerably. There are no pilots for these trimmers, they index off the shoulder of the case. The downside is that they require full length resizing (or ordering custom index inserts from their service). Up to you, but this speeds up the trimming process considerably. Come to think of it, most of my expenses in reloading has been in finding ways to speed up case preparation.

I do think that if you go with a traditional trimmer, the .270 pilot will work for your 6.5mm cases.