Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Blahpony
Gerbil XP

Re: Gun prOn!

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:35 pm

I use Aguila SuperExtra 22LR in my Beretta ARX160. The rifle says it calls for high velocity ammo. The Aguila is standard velocity and I've fired hundreds of rounds of it with no cycling issues. I've used various calibers of Aguila and it works well. Though, some of the types smell a bit weird when fired.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:17 pm

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 pm

That was disappointingly short.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

durt_b1ker
Gerbil

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:28 pm

New shot of the more modern members of my crew

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:31 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
https://youtu.be/7x6LibuC4N0

FG 42 in action.

Shoulder fired 8mm Mauser in full auto would be no joke. He appeared to have excellent control, though.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:06 pm

Vrock wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
https://youtu.be/7x6LibuC4N0

FG 42 in action.

Shoulder fired 8mm Mauser in full auto would be no joke. He appeared to have excellent control, though.

It was Ian's post about the M1908 Semiauto Mondragon (1st mass-produced military semiauto) that introduced me to his Forgotten Weapons series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU6vWFXhwk4
I like his interest in the unique weapons and the history behind them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewyPin9CLcQ

I'm continually fascinated at the engineering and quality of craftsmanship of these 100+ year old rifles that function just fine today.
My last acquisition was an M1917 Eddystone 30-06, US WWI battle rifle. My second shot with it and I nailed the bulls eye at 75 yards.
This 100 year old model is used today by one active Danish Guard unit in Greenland because it functions well in sub-zero conditions.
https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/201 ... greenland/
Very cool :)
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:28 am

That was a good read. I was surprised to see mention of a standard 168gr military load for the 30-06, though. I am guessing this is a Greenland loading as neither US M1 nor M2 cartridges were tipped with 168gr projectiles.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Finally got the 30-30 checked over and wound up putting a box downrange with it.

Accuracy is....pretty bad tbh. I don't think I can ethically use it to hunt. It's not just POI, but the groups are really bad. Like, can't cover them with my palm at 25 yards bad (but I don't think there's any keyholing, based on the holes I'm seeing). I'm a little sad but it's also still a family heirloom and a blast to shoot. Now I want to get another, more functional Winchester 94 but damn new ones are expensive (and made in Japan anyway)
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:24 pm

I just got around to taking the CZ 452 out recently. Next time I'm out shooting, I'll need to zero the irons. The rifle seems fully capable of shooting a quarter sized groups at 25 yards (but I'm not). :lol:

The following groups were quickly shot at 25 yards with the stock tangent sights off some sandbags.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:16 am

What do you mean by "tangent sights?" If you mean a blade or post front and a notch rear, set the big orange bull on top of the front sight flanked by the notch, flat across the top. If you mean the peep sights from the original picture, punch a circular hole near the center of the orange bull or paste a round black sticker near the center. The punched hole / sticker should appear slightly smaller than the front peep sight circle at your shooting distance. A punched hole / round sticker will also help with blade and notch iron sights as the smaller your aim point the smaller your groups will be. Always focus on your front sight, let the target and rear sight fuzz a little. It is impossible to focus at three different distances at the same time.

Make sure all sight elements are securely attached and do not wiggle. Also make certain the barreled action will not wiggle in the stock. I assume you inspected the barrel bore before you bought the gun. If you didn't, remove the bolt and make sure the bore is bright and shiny with no signs of rust or corrosion. Also make sure the grooves have nice sharp edges. This is also a good time to give the bore a good cleaning. Always work from the chamber to the muzzle with a one piece cleaning rod. It is OK to go back and forth sparingly with a brass brush as long as the rod allows it to rotate with the grooves. Use solvent or gun oil. I like Rem oil. Always push patches from the chamber to the muzzle and allow the rod to rotate. Also inspect the muzzle for any dings or dents on the bore edge.

When testing for accuracy always load each cartridge one at a time. It gives you and the gun time to cool between shots. Always remember the fundamentals: establish your sight picture, take a breath and exhale a tiny bit, then squeeze the trigger.

Be sure to keep those slide top CCI boxes. They are very handy when you buy cardboard boxed ammo. Also any lead bullet cartridge that falls on the ground or is carried loose in a pocket becomes a bore grinder, Do Not Shoot It.

If you can receive directly shipped ammo in your state, http://www.cheaperthandirt.com has quite a selection of 22 long rifle ammo at fairly reasonable prices and any order over $99 is free shipping. Not sure how they do on sales tax as I haven't ordered from them yet. My shopping list has thirteen types of 22 l.r. ammo, most at less than ten cents a bang.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Finally got the 30-30 checked over and wound up putting a box downrange with it.

Accuracy is....pretty bad tbh. I don't think I can ethically use it to hunt. It's not just POI, but the groups are really bad. Like, can't cover them with my palm at 25 yards bad (but I don't think there's any keyholing, based on the holes I'm seeing). I'm a little sad but it's also still a family heirloom and a blast to shoot. Now I want to get another, more functional Winchester 94 but damn new ones are expensive (and made in Japan anyway)

If you are wanting a family heirloom shooter and not a collector piece, you might shop around for a decent deal on having it rebarreled. I imagine most barrel makers make all kinds of 30-30 barrels.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:12 am

between the cost of a gunsmith and the cost of a barrel I don't think that's in the cards.

It isn't as simple as swapping barrels on a T/C or something
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Dagwood
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 25, 2019 5:28 pm

I have a lot of trouble with iron sites of any kind. A low power scope with a lot of eye relief makes shooting a lot more fun. I don't know if that is true or not for you, but if you buy a scope spend money on a good quality one. I like Vortex myself.

P.S. post generally directed at Dr. D and his CZ who posted a month ago.

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 29, 2019 11:49 am

farmpuma wrote:
What do you mean by "tangent sights?" If you mean a blade or post front and a notch rear, set the big orange bull on top of the front sight flanked by the notch, flat across the top. If you mean the peep sights from the original picture, punch a circular hole near the center of the orange bull or paste a round black sticker near the center. The punched hole / sticker should appear slightly smaller than the front peep sight circle at your shooting distance. A punched hole / round sticker will also help with blade and notch iron sights as the smaller your aim point the smaller your groups will be. Always focus on your front sight, let the target and rear sight fuzz a little. It is impossible to focus at three different distances at the same time.

Make sure all sight elements are securely attached and do not wiggle. Also make certain the barreled action will not wiggle in the stock. I assume you inspected the barrel bore before you bought the gun. If you didn't, remove the bolt and make sure the bore is bright and shiny with no signs of rust or corrosion. Also make sure the grooves have nice sharp edges. This is also a good time to give the bore a good cleaning. Always work from the chamber to the muzzle with a one piece cleaning rod. It is OK to go back and forth sparingly with a brass brush as long as the rod allows it to rotate with the grooves. Use solvent or gun oil. I like Rem oil. Always push patches from the chamber to the muzzle and allow the rod to rotate. Also inspect the muzzle for any dings or dents on the bore edge.

When testing for accuracy always load each cartridge one at a time. It gives you and the gun time to cool between shots. Always remember the fundamentals: establish your sight picture, take a breath and exhale a tiny bit, then squeeze the trigger.

I probably should have said that "quickly" means I was firing just about as fast as I can cycle the action in that post. :P To clarify on the sighting, I had removed the peep sight in the picture from the dovetail mount and was using the notch sight (see here).

Next time I'm at the range, I'll have to see if I'm any better with the peep sight on the dovetail.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD