Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Carry Me Back to Old Virginia

Fri May 18, 2007 2:25 pm

I'm heading to Fairfax for a business trip at the end of the month (29th - 2nd) and was wondering if anyone in the greater DC area wanted to meet up somewhere (like someone's favorite restaurant). Friday night will probably be the easiest but I'm willing to drink on a work night. :D

**UPDATE**

We'll be meeting at P J Skidoo's starting at 6 PM on Friday, June 1st. Here's the list of people who've said that they'll be there:

Kevin
Darkmage
Vrock
JdL (Maybe)
Blahpony
flybywire
Last edited by Kevin on Wed May 23, 2007 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

toxent
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 18, 2007 5:35 pm

I thought about offering, but i'm working that weekend. It would be a bit of a drive too, coming from the peninsula.

good luck.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition w/Scythe Ninja HSF | ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 | GSkill 8GB(2x4GB) PC3-12800 | PowerColor Radeon 4850 512MB | Samsung Spinpont F1 1TB SATA

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri May 18, 2007 9:16 pm

I'm about 2.5 hours away, and my girlfriend might be out of town that weekend. I'll let you know. Heck, I owe you at least a beer for putting up with my **** for all these years. :lol:

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat May 19, 2007 8:23 am

My wife will be out of town on business that week. Sure, let's grab a drink.

Edited to add: And food! Can't forget the food. Sorry, I'm pre-coffee.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 19, 2007 8:39 am

You'll probably be less than 10 minutes from my place. I'm game for meeting up with you guys, except I don't drink. Let me know where you plan to meet up and I might join you!
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat May 19, 2007 10:44 am

So Friday night works best for everyone? And yeah, let's definitely go to a restaurant or something. I'm up for anything (expense account FTW) but you'll all have to decide what's in your budget. :D

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat May 19, 2007 10:55 am

Kevin wrote:
So Friday night works best for everyone? And yeah, let's definitely go to a restaurant or something. I'm up for anything (expense account FTW) but you'll all have to decide what's in your budget. :D
Friday night definitely works best for me. I'm off that day so I won't have to rush the drive up. Anyplace for food works for me. I defer to Darkmage on that topic since he's a local of sorts.

Blahpony
Gerbil XP

Sat May 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Meeting up sounds like fun. June 1st would work.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat May 19, 2007 6:56 pm

Okay then, Friday it is! What kind of food is everyone in the mood for? To keep it easy on Kevin, we'll shoot for the Fairfax area.

I'm a steak & potatoes kind of guy, but there are all kinds of yummy things in the area. Kevin, you're the guest of honor. What are you in the mood for?
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat May 19, 2007 8:23 pm

I can usually find something to eat at most places but steak sounds good to me. Is there a nice local type place? (i.e. not a chain like Outback, not that there's anything wrong with Outback, but I can eat there anytime.)

james1202
Gerbil

Sat May 19, 2007 10:16 pm

I live in Fairfax.. its boring here. :D

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat May 19, 2007 10:31 pm

There's lots of local... don't know about "nice" so much... :D

I've had good luck at P J Skidoo's, right in the heart of Fairfax. It's about a half mile west of Fairfax Circle. They're large enough to hold however many people we're going to have and they have enough twists & turns in the restaurant to give us some privacy. They do have a DJ later in the evening, but if that's a problem we can find a place that is more restaurant-oriented and not bar-scene oriented.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun May 20, 2007 6:39 am

Darkmage wrote:
Okay then, Friday it is! What kind of food is everyone in the mood for? To keep it easy on Kevin, we'll shoot for the Fairfax area.

I'm a steak & potatoes kind of guy, but there are all kinds of yummy things in the area. Kevin, you're the guest of honor. What are you in the mood for?
I'll eat just about anything provided it is dead and cooked.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sun May 20, 2007 1:46 pm

I don't know why I'm posting this because I won't be there, but here's a list of restaurants in the Fairfax area. Seeing as how Kevin's the guest of honour, he should pick the place.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 20, 2007 2:27 pm

Vrock wrote:
Darkmage wrote:

Oh Vrock, always causing problems, does it HAVE to be cooked :wink:
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun May 20, 2007 4:01 pm

king_kilr wrote:
Vrock wrote:
Darkmage wrote:

Heh, well I tried sashimi once and it was okay. I guess I could eat it if I had to. And I like raw fruits and vegetables, though I guess they're not technically dead?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun May 20, 2007 4:21 pm

Vrock wrote:
king_kilr wrote:
Vrock wrote:
Darkmage wrote:

Heh, well I tried sashimi once and it was okay. I guess I could eat it if I had to. And I like raw fruits and vegetables, though I guess they're not technically dead?
I take it you're not up for Casu Marzu.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun May 20, 2007 4:24 pm

I had to look that one up.

I'll pass. :o

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Tue May 22, 2007 4:40 pm

Seeing that the wife will be out of the country by then, my schedule will be wide open. P J Skidoo's was a decent place last time I was there, though I must admit that was a few years ago. :P Just let me know where and I'll do my best to meet up with you guys.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 22, 2007 10:05 pm

At the moment, it sounds like Friday June 1st at P J Skidoo's. I think we'll start at about 6 PM unless there are objections. I may be a little late: I have to get home to Manassas to walk the dogs and then head back into Fairfax.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed May 23, 2007 6:19 am

Darkmage wrote:
At the moment, it sounds like Friday June 1st at P J Skidoo's. I think we'll start at about 6 PM unless there are objections. I may be a little late: I have to get home to Manassas to walk the dogs and then head back into Fairfax.
This thread is kind of funny...my company delivers to all of the Target stores in this area. Maybe I'll just hitch a ride out there and save some gas. :lol:

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2007 6:50 am

Darkmage wrote:

Sounds good. I'll update the first post with that info and the people who have said they are attending.

I might also be a little later then 6, depending on how testing goes that day.

Do we need to get reservations?
Last edited by Kevin on Wed May 23, 2007 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 23, 2007 6:55 am

Darkmage wrote:

Dam June 1st is my birthday .. Sorry will not be joining you .. Anyways you can have one extra drink on my behalf :D :wink:

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed May 23, 2007 9:02 am

Vrock wrote:
This thread is kind of funny...my company delivers to all of the Target stores in this area. Maybe I'll just hitch a ride out there and save some gas. :lol:
And just how are you planning on getting back? :)

Kevin wrote:
Do we need to get reservations?
I'll take care of it once we get a head count. Do we want to push it out to 7PM to give you time to finish testing and trash your hotel room?

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 23, 2007 9:18 am

7PM will work.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed May 23, 2007 9:53 am

Darkmage wrote:
Vrock wrote:
And just how are you planning on getting back? :)
Backhaul, my friend, backhaul. :wink:

Blahpony
Gerbil XP

Wed May 23, 2007 9:55 am

This looks like it will have a pretty good turnout. I have flex-time at work, so I'll come in late to be able to leave late. That will save a trip to MD and back.

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2007 10:07 am

Darkmage wrote:
Do we want to push it out to 7PM to give you time to finish testing and trash your hotel room?

Actually, it looks like all of the testing will be done on Wednesday and Thursday. With Friday just being a cleanup day, I shouldn't have any problem making it at 6PM.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 24, 2007 10:58 pm

james1202 wrote:
I live in Fairfax.. its boring here. :D
Well, the obvious solution is to come out with us on June 1st! Besides, what else is there to do on a Friday night except watch the cops raid Fast Eddie's for a prostitution ring again? :D

Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 24, 2007 11:29 pm

That happened? Awesome.. I was just at fast eddy's last june playing some pool. Too bad I missed it :-?