Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

who is your favorite mainstream guitarist?

Eric Clapton
10 (25%)
John Petrucci
5 (13%)
Steve Vai
5 (13%)
Eric Johnson
4 (10%)
Joe Satriani
12 (30%)
Yngwie Malmsteen
4 (10%)

Total votes: 40

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:35 pm

morphine wrote:
jinjuku wrote:
morphine wrote:
jinjuku wrote:
Shawn Lane

I thought we were discussing guitarists, not note machines (Lane, Michaelangelo Batio, etc). :P

I can only assume 2 things: 1 your joking, or 2 you have no clue... Pick one

How about nr. 3, I have little interest in guitarists that spend 99% playing 1/32nd notes and 1% doing actual music?

hey now. speed is a great skill. but i do agree that the ones who focus ONLY on speed and not what they are actually playing are just hindering their potential.
"Here we stand at the threshold of paradise, stealing a new world. I never would have thought our place in history would come to this, but we are infinite. We are one."
-Spencer Sotelo

jinjuku
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:20 pm

JJCDAD wrote:
jinjuku wrote:
EJ is IMO the singular virtuoso of the last 25 years in guitardom. The tone that man has is nothing short of amazing. He can play any style with grace and taste (jazz, blues, rock, classical (merry axemas vol 1), fusion, acoustic finger style).

All I had ever heard was the song Cliffs Of Dover. So...I'm 5 songs into Venus Isle right now. Wow! 8)

You really need to check out 'Ah Via Musicom' and his side project 'Alien Love Child'

Those are his stand out albums.
Computers and OS's are tools, not religions. Use the best tool for the job.

jinjuku
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:22 pm

mafropetee wrote:
morphine wrote:
jinjuku wrote:
morphine wrote:
jinjuku wrote:
Shawn Lane

I thought we were discussing guitarists, not note machines (Lane, Michaelangelo Batio, etc). :P

How about nr. 3, I have little interest in guitarists that spend 99% playing 1/32nd notes and 1% doing actual music?

hey now. speed is a great skill. but i do agree that the ones who focus ONLY on speed and not what they are actually playing are just hindering their potential.

Shawn Lane put out alot of tasteful music, I don't know where this 'he was a shredder only' is coming from.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:32 pm

jinjuku wrote:
Shawn Lane put out alot of tasteful music, I don't know where this 'he was a shredder only' is coming from.

I guess some people just tend to latch onto the "shred" aspect.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:43 pm

What aspect are you looking to get an opinion of? Technical, or just listenability.

Technically I would vote for Yngwie. Hands down, he is the most talented guitar player out there, but for those not interested in the technical side of guitar he can be very boring to listen to. If anyone doubts his ability, go find a video of him and see for yourself. For listenability it's between Satriani and Vai for me. About 3 years ago I saw these guys at the G3 concert in Toronto. The crowd was almost all musicians (I am not a musician per se, but I do understand the talent needed to play like they do). You could tell because most of us were sitting down and just taking in the enormous amount of talent on the stage.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:48 pm

jinjuku wrote:
mafropetee wrote:
morphine wrote:
jinjuku wrote:
morphine wrote:
jinjuku wrote:
Shawn Lane

ohh i know that. hes great. i wasnt talking about anyone specifically.
"Here we stand at the threshold of paradise, stealing a new world. I never would have thought our place in history would come to this, but we are infinite. We are one."
-Spencer Sotelo

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:53 pm

Hoser wrote:
What aspect are you looking to get an opinion of? Technical, or just listenability.

Technically I would vote for Yngwie. Hands down, he is the most talented guitar player out there, but for those not interested in the technical side of guitar he can be very boring to listen to. If anyone doubts his ability, go find a video of him and see for yourself. For listenability it's between Satriani and Vai for me. About 3 years ago I saw these guys at the G3 concert in Toronto. The crowd was almost all musicians (I am not a musician per se, but I do understand the talent needed to play like they do). You could tell because most of us were sitting down and just taking in the enormous amount of talent on the stage.

good point. malmsteen is a great guitarist, but his music gets kind of redundant to me. vai and satriani are quite varried in what they play and i enjoy it more. i saw the g3 with vai, satriani and malmsteen on dvd. it was great... except malmsteen seemed too much like a drunken idiot throughout the performance. but thats only because he was probably... well... drunk. but of all the popular mainstream solo artists, petrucci has to be my favorite.
-Spencer Sotelo

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:01 pm

I've never been much of a Malmsteen fan. The whole "hey lookit how fast I can play minor scales" schtick gets old.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Tony Iommi is the greatest guitarist. He should be on the list, unless 'mainstream' rules out 'hard rock / metal'. Still, he founded a musical style that got carried on by Ozzy, and Ozzy is pretty mainstream these days. Heck, you'll find both Black Sabbath and Ozzy on classic rock radio stations.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:23 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Tony Iommi is the greatest guitarist. He should be on the list, unless 'mainstream' rules out 'hard rock / metal'. Still, he founded a musical style that got carried on by Ozzy, and Ozzy is pretty mainstream these days. Heck, you'll find both Black Sabbath and Ozzy on classic rock radio stations.

i tried to pick actual solo artists who arent as associated with one band like tony iommi is.
-Spencer Sotelo

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:21 pm

mafropetee wrote:
i tried to pick actual solo artists who arent as associated with one band like tony iommi is.

Why? Seems like an artificial distinction to me.

And Petrucci is primarily associated with Dream Theater, so you didn't really even follow your own rule. :wink:

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:
mafropetee wrote:

And Petrucci is primarily associated with Dream Theater, so you didn't really even follow your own rule. :wink:

yes but not as exclusively as tony iommi is. i see a lot more cd's with the artist as "john petrucci" than i do "tony iommi" in the music store
-Spencer Sotelo

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:06 pm

mafropetee wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
mafropetee wrote:

yes but not as exclusively as tony iommi is. i see a lot more cd's with the artist as "john petrucci" than i do "tony iommi" in the music store

John has five solo albums. Tony has three. Not a big difference. Just sayin'. :wink:

I'd like to give a listen to some of the artists in the poll. I figure if I run down this list and try a few, they'll all be winners.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

balzi
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:24 pm

that is so rude - leaving out Tommy. you yanks should be ashamed of yourselves. Tommy Emmanuel has not been mentioned yet.. and I still say that 'The Journey' is the most alive piece of instrumental every written. Love it love it loovvveeeeitttt!!!!!!

my two bits done. bye!
Japanese officer from Goons: "Honourable English Soldier - have unexplectedly run out of ammunition, could please borrow two boxes?"
Bloodnok: "What? what? .. No!!! You haven't returned our lawn-mower yet!?!"

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:29 pm

mafropetee wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
mafropetee wrote:

Still seems artificial.

For example... guitarist Robert Fripp is the bandleader and creative vision of King Crimson, and has been since 1969. That's thirty eight freakin' years! He's the only musician who has appeared on every album they have ever released. The fact that they're called "King Crimson" (and not "The Robert Fripp Band") seems rather arbitrary to me.

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:07 am

The G3 Live CD's are my favorite guitar instrumentals. I don't think anything can beat a live performance. It's just more alive.

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:25 am

balzi wrote:
that is so rude - leaving out Tommy. you yanks should be ashamed of yourselves. Tommy Emmanuel has not been mentioned yet.. and I still say that 'The Journey' is the most alive piece of instrumental every written. Love it love it loovvveeeeitttt!!!!!!

my two bits done. bye!

thank you for a half-useless post.
-Spencer Sotelo

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:38 am

just brew it! wrote:
mafropetee wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
mafropetee wrote:

Still seems artificial.

For example... guitarist Robert Fripp is the bandleader and creative vision of King Crimson, and has been since 1969. That's thirty eight freakin' years! He's the only musician who has appeared on every album they have ever released. The fact that they're called "King Crimson" (and not "The Robert Fripp Band") seems rather arbitrary to me.

ok did you really want a long list of choices running all the way down the page? no i didnt think so. troy stetina is another one of my personal favorites. if i really thought about it there could have been hundreds of them. but i chose the ones that stick out to me the most in today's music world.
-Spencer Sotelo

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:42 am

mafropetee wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Still seems artificial.

ok did you really want a long list of choices running all the way down the page? no i didnt think so. troy stetina is another one of my personal favorites. if i really thought about it there could have been hundreds of them. but i chose the ones that stick out to me the most in today's music world.

I wasn't trying to say "you need to include semi-obscure guitarists like Robert Fripp". I was using him to illustrate why I think the distinction between "solo artist" and "member of a band" is pointless.

ric
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:28 am

One of the best is Glen Campbell. Outstanding technique on both acoustic and electric

Clapton is overrated. Average speed/mediocre riffs

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:34 am

ric wrote:
One of the best is Glen Campbell. Outstanding technique on both acoustic and electric

THANK YOU

im so tired of clapton. "ohh clapton is soo amazing" "ohh im gonna pay millions of dollars for clapton's crappy guitar." yeahh he made music and he was decent at it. but i definately dont consider him one of the greatest.
-Spencer Sotelo

ric
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:47 am

mafropetee wrote:
ric wrote:

THANK YOU

im so tired of clapton. "ohh clapton is soo amazing" "ohh im gonna pay millions of dollars for clapton's crappy guitar." yeahh he made music and he was decent at it. but i definately dont consider him one of the greatest.

Another overrated hack is Santana. Have you ever seen/heard that guy on an acoustic? Complete ****

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:51 am

ric wrote:
mafropetee wrote:
ric wrote:

THANK YOU

Another overrated hack is Santana. Have you ever seen/heard that guy on an acoustic? Complete ****

no. ive never listened to him very intently. but what i did vaguely hear, i didnt like at all.
-Spencer Sotelo

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:48 am

ric wrote:

Easy there... "overrated hack" is way too harsh. Santana is great, and has very clean playing. His problem, so to speak, is that he sticks to one very specific style and that's it. Still, what he does, he does very well, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:52 am

Santana's old stuff was good, but he gets old quick. His new crap with all the different singers is too commercial too. I'm sure he got rich, but I'd never buy that garbage.

ric
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:33 am

morphine wrote:
ric wrote:

Easy there... "overrated hack" is way too harsh. Santana is great, and has very clean playing. His problem, so to speak, is that he sticks to one very specific style and that's it. Still, what he does, he does very well, and there's nothing wrong with that.

His 'leading' doesn't permit him to switch to rhythm that easily due to the way he holds his pick. Mostly forearm and not wrist movement

Thats why he completely SUCKS on the acoustic.....Any hack can sustain and slide on the electric.

Lets talk about technique/finesse, eh?

tsoulier
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:58 am

SLASH
Core I7 2600K @ 4.6 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | EVGA GTX 570

jinjuku
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:30 pm

tsoulier wrote:
SLASH
is just another guitarist that when put into a room of his contemporaries and listen to all of them blind, you couldn't pick out.

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:34 pm

jinjuku wrote:
tsoulier wrote:
SLASH
is just another guitarist that when put into a room of his contemporaries and listen to all of them blind, you couldn't pick out.

as much as i love slash, i completely agree with that.
-Spencer Sotelo

NeXus 6

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:39 pm

I didn't see Tom Scholz mentioned. He's not greatest guitar player but he definitely gave Boston a sound all its own.

And not one mention of David Gilmour? He's probably my favorite.