Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

who is your favorite mainstream guitarist?

Eric Clapton
10 (25%)
John Petrucci
5 (13%)
Steve Vai
5 (13%)
Eric Johnson
4 (10%)
Joe Satriani
12 (30%)
Yngwie Malmsteen
4 (10%)

Total votes: 40

jinjuku
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:43 pm

NeXus 6 wrote:
I didn't see Tom Scholz mentioned. He's not greatest guitar player but he definitely gave Boston a sound all its own.

And not one mention of David Gilmour? He's probably my favorite.

Dave Gilmour is one of the best slow players out there. Extremely expressive.

Another that hasn't been mentioned: Paul Gilbert...
Computers and OS's are tools, not religions. Use the best tool for the job.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:45 pm

NeXus 6 wrote:
And not one mention of David Gilmour? He's probably my favorite.

Doesn't need to. He's already been immortalized. We're just figuring out who's next :lol:

cass
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:53 pm

django reinhardt
Doc Watson
Roy Clark (hee haw wouldn't his best work)
Merle Travis
Chet Atkins
Mark knopfler
Al Dimieola
John McClaughlin
Paco Delucia
Dan Crary

Yeah, seen G3 with Malmsteen,Vai,Satriani,McAlpine, and Stu Hamm... Just incredible for the most part.... Satriani rocked consistently, Vai played some stuff I didn't understand and Malmsteen was anywhere from brilliant to in his own space.

Ritchie Blackmoore gotta be here for the most well know riff of all time.
Iommi.... Accidental or not the sound is known everywhere. and damn other than Angus young... who plays the SG?

George Lynch
Tony Rice... (pre cocaine meltdown)
Norman Blake

Seen some mention Kottke, and Hedges.. 2nd that.

Not sure I ever put clapton very high... more along the lines of classic rock like Van Halen, jimmy page, townsend...

Hendrix, SRV good music to me.

Just proud to live in a time when we have easy access to so many great performers/performances.

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:01 pm

cass wrote:
who plays the SG?

me.

this is my guitar (for now... until i get my f-250)

haha

EDIT: Travis Miguel of Atreyu (one of my favorite bands) uses a custom ESP Viper (SG). unless you meant the actual Gibson SG. in that case... Angus and Tony are the only big ones i can think of.
Last edited by mafropetee on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Here we stand at the threshold of paradise, stealing a new world. I never would have thought our place in history would come to this, but we are infinite. We are one."
-Spencer Sotelo

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:07 pm

cass wrote:
Iommi.... Accidental or not the sound is known everywhere. and damn other than Angus young... who plays the SG?.

Dickie Betts
Eric Clapton in his Cream days
Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult
Jimi Hendrix in his early days
Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd
Carlos Santana at Woodstock
Pete Townsend in the Tommy days
Derek Trucks
Frank Zappa through the '70s
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:41 pm

NeXus 6 wrote:
I didn't see Tom Scholz mentioned. He's not greatest guitar player but he definitely gave Boston a sound all its own.

Yup, that counts for a lot. Having a unique, recognizable sound is a big part of what makes a truly great musician IMO.

Captain Ned wrote:
Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult

Oooh yeah... gotta agree with that.

A lot of people seem to dismiss BOC as second-rate Black Sabbath wannabees or something... I'd rank them as one of the truly great bands of the '70s. Definitely above Sabbath in my book.

Now excuse me while I crank "Lips In The Hills" (from their "Cultosaurus" album)... some absolutely killer playing from Buck Dharma in that one. :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:07 pm

Eric Johnson - Camel's Night Out is my new "gotta see a stripper dance to this song song". Used to be Kiss - Take It Off. Been there, done that, and it was everything I hoped it would be. 8)

MixedPower
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:56 pm

A few of my favorites:

Peter Frampton, especially his new Fingerprints CD
Eric Clapton
Robby Krieger
Brian May
Don Felder
Henry Garza
Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield, particularly in their S&M album

That's it for now, I'll probably remember more later on.
i5 4690K | Sabertooth Z97 Mk2 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 970 | 500GB 840 Evo + 500GB Spinpoint F3 | Xonar DSX | SS-660XP2 | Heligon | FT05 | U2413 + 2209WA | Corsair K90 | Logitech G502 | ProMedia 2.1 | Win 10 Pro x64

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:08 am

Another guitarist I enjoy listening to that I don't think anyone has mentioned: Mattias "IA" Eklundh. He's a crazy dude from Sweden, who fronts a rock group named "Freak Kitchen". His singing is pretty weak, but his guitar playing is definitely entertaining in the least. He also has a side project by the title of "Freak Guitar". I wouldn't say he is the best, but he's definitely a lot better than your average rock band guitarist. Here's a video of a one of his solos. I wouldn't rate it as his best solo actually, but it gives you an idea for what his playing style is like. He uses a lot of harmonics. A lot.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:20 am

one i forgot to mention (i think) is Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom. i love his playing. like carl's guy, hes not one of the best of the best, but i love his style. and his guitar.
"Here we stand at the threshold of paradise, stealing a new world. I never would have thought our place in history would come to this, but we are infinite. We are one."
-Spencer Sotelo

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:31 am

You guys have clearly never heard Swiss rock it!
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

Pettytheft
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:24 am

No love for Prince. He's probably one of the most underrated guitarists alive. I'm not saying he's number one, but not even a mention on anyones list? I'm a bit confused on this thread. Define "Mainstream". I see alot of obscure technically proficient guitarists there. Half of them most folks have not even heard of.
Last edited by Pettytheft on Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

hellokitty
Gerbil XP

Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:38 am

Dave Gilmour

Pete Townshend

Yngwie Malmsteen

Joe Satriani

Steve Morse

Eddie Van Halen

Buckethead

Al di Meola

Paco de Lucia

Jimmy Hendrix

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:52 am

prince is pretty good. i dont like his style very much though. and his guitars are butt ugly

and why is hello kitty the first to mention buckethead (that ive seen)? i was waiting for someone to say him.
-Spencer Sotelo

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:36 am

mafropetee wrote:
prince is pretty good. i dont like his style very much though. and his guitars are butt ugly

and why is hello kitty the first to mention buckethead (that ive seen)? i was waiting for someone to say him.

Because the man has enough loose screws to put him in the "genius but unreliable" section :lol:

Regarding Prince, I think he's a awesome guitarist too, but he doesn't put his guitar playing in enough relevance/songs for the world to take notice, imo.

ric
Gerbil XP

Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:50 am

Pettytheft wrote:
No love for Prince. He's probably one of the most underrated guitarists alive. I'm not saying he's number one, but not even a mention on anyones list? I'm a bit confused on this thread. Define "Mainstream". I see alot of obscure technically proficient guitarists there. Half of them most folks have not even heard of.

I've seen alot of guys that play well on the electric, but suck on the acoustic and guys that play well on the acoustic and really suck on the electric

To me, you have to dominate (no one really dominates the guitar) or at least be proficient on both (leading)

Jimmy or Van Halen on the acoustic?..lol

No matter how many years, you have been playing...you never cease to learn.. A new chord or picking technique that has to be explored
Veritas vos liberabit
--------------------------------------------------------
Sugo evo (falcon nw handle) - gigabyte ga-g33m-ds2r/ 1:1 divider - corsair 620watt psu - QX6700 - patriot eXtreme 4gb - evga 8800Ultra 768mb - 150g raptor - dell 24"

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:06 am

ric wrote:
Pettytheft wrote:

I've seen alot of guys that play well on the electric, but suck on the acoustic and guys that play well on the acoustic and really suck on the electric

To me, you have to dominate (no one really dominates the guitar) or at least be proficient on both (leading)

Jimmy or Van Halen on the acoustic?..lol

No matter how many years, you have been playing...you never cease to learn.. A new chord or picking technique that has to be explored

you dont have to be good on both to be an awesome guitarist. people have their own styles and dont feel the need to play acoustic. in fact, some guitarists hate acoustic, not because its hard but just because they dont like it. namely a lot of heavy metal guitarists. personally i love playing on either one, but i mainly play on electric because thats just my thing. metal leads. but when i pick up my ovation 1778 elite i can still do a lot with it.

EDIT: but i do strongly agree with the fact that theres always something new to learn.
-Spencer Sotelo

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:09 am

I believe his main point is an "awesome" guitarist should, by definition, be more than a one-trick pony, so to say. Let's assume something to the tune of "being able to proficiently and passionately play more than a couple styles".

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:25 am

well to give credit where credit is due, if going by that idea, van halen actually does an excellent job on acoustic. and malmsteen can play some really good acoustic solos.
-Spencer Sotelo

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:16 pm

morphine wrote:
mafropetee wrote:

Because the man has enough loose screws to put him in the "genius but unreliable" section :lol:

QFT.

I have a few of his CDs. While his playing is top-notch, some of the material is just plain messed up. He's just a bit too unpredictable and off the wall to make my list of personal favorites.

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:42 pm

On that note, Mattias "IA" Eklund (Freak Kitchen) is probably the cleanest player I've ever seen/heard, despite using copious amounts of gain, but his music is just so plain weird at times that it's hard to absorb. He's especially awesome doing harmonics and sweep picking.

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:18 pm

CampinCarl wrote:
Another guitarist I enjoy listening to that I don't think anyone has mentioned: Mattias "IA" Eklundh. He's a crazy dude from Sweden, who fronts a rock group named "Freak Kitchen".

I just stumbled upon Mattias "IA" Eklundh and Freak Kitchen over at Last.fm. I think I just found my new favorite band! Yeehaw! 8)

MixedPower
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:16 pm

mafropetee wrote:
well to give credit where credit is due, if going by that idea, van halen actually does an excellent job on acoustic.

QFT. Eric Clapton and Peter Frampton are also very proficient on both.

EDIT: Mmm, grammar...
i5 4690K | Sabertooth Z97 Mk2 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 970 | 500GB 840 Evo + 500GB Spinpoint F3 | Xonar DSX | SS-660XP2 | Heligon | FT05 | U2413 + 2209WA | Corsair K90 | Logitech G502 | ProMedia 2.1 | Win 10 Pro x64

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: guitarists

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:39 pm

Reviving the thread.

Two glaring omissions: Marty Friedman and Vinnie Moore
May have rose to fame since the thread: Guthrie Govan
And a relative newcomer: Nick Johnston

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:12 pm

I'll endorse Guthrie Govan as well. The new Aristocrats album is really good.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Oh man, Guthrie Govan is incredibly good, and also incredibly humble. I can just sit and hear the man speak.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:52 am

Holy 12 year old necro batman.

I don't listen to mainstream...anything. But I'd put Brendon Small up for most talented and fascinating guitarist.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:57 am

As Toki Wartooth or Skwisgaar Skwigelf? :)

And funny that you mention him right after Govan; Small did some vocals in The Aristocrats' Tres Caballeros. (Edit: Apparently their bassist, Bryan Beller, is also part of Dethklok).
Last edited by meerkt on Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:09 pm

meerkt wrote:
As Toki Wartooth or Skwisgaar Skwigelf? :)

As himself. I like is Galaktikon albums more that the dethklok stuff.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Techsavvy
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:08 am

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm not familiar with many of the guitar players mentioned above. Of course, I heard the names (Satriani, Malmsteen, Bettencourt, Vai) but I don't think I've ever heard any of their songs. I promise to fix this.

Right now my favorite guitar players are: Jimi Hendrix, John 5, Dimebag Darrell, Buckethead, Petrucci, Frusciante, Marty Friedman, Chuck Schuldiner and Paul Gilbert