Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Re: What are you eating Right Now

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Possibly the best designed dark chocolate candy bar in the world:

Smoke & Stout Caramel Bar
Rogue's Chocolate Stout beer + Alderwood smoked salt + burnt sugar caramel + 70% dark chocolate

Check it out at: http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/ ... -chocolate

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Bit-O-Honey. Classic.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Ghiradelli 62% chocolate bits

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Roast Beef Sandwich with avocado, mayo, mustard, whole wheat Orowheat bread and some green leaf lettuce... Oh and Boars Head pepper jack cheese :D
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:01 am

My grandmother passed away this weekend, and although it was entirely expected, I needed comfort food for dinner. Stouffer's heat-and-serve Mac & Cheese, pan-sauteed smoky links, and a Great Divide rye lager. Not even slightly healthy, but the taste buds loved every second of it.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:08 pm

I just had some leftover soup I made a few nights back. Plus crushed red peppers (mine), a bit of cayenne (mine) in with the onions, half a leftover yellow onion, and 3 leftover pieces of local bacon. Pretty tasty... I have yet to do an entirely local version, but I should be able to manage it (I may have to mix up my own "Italian" sausage, though).

I recently split a cow with a neighbor who took most of the organ meat and I'm trying to decide what to do with the chain (learned me how to cut up a tenderloin). I'm thinking... pound it out and sear it on a griddle for fajitas/enchiladas/tacos, or maybe cheesesteaks. I'm gonna make tongue tacos sometime so I may just go with cheesesteaks, since they're clearly the more heart-healthy option. The stew route seems wasteful.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Jambe wrote:
I just had some leftover soup I made a few nights back. Plus crushed red peppers (mine), a bit of cayenne (mine) in with the onions, half a leftover yellow onion, and 3 leftover pieces of local bacon. Pretty tasty... I have yet to do an entirely local version, but I should be able to manage it (I may have to mix up my own "Italian" sausage, though).

I recently split a cow with a neighbor who took most of the organ meat and I'm trying to decide what to do with the chain (learned me how to cut up a tenderloin). I'm thinking... pound it out and sear it on a griddle for fajitas/enchiladas/tacos, or maybe cheesesteaks. I'm gonna make tongue tacos sometime so I may just go with cheesesteaks, since they're clearly the more heart-healthy option. The stew route seems wasteful.

That's awesome man! what motivated you? health? paleo diet? documentary? what state do you live in? i'm curious about the availability and costs.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:55 pm

aged sharp cheddar and a small glass of Tennessee Honey Whiskey. IT's a great contrast. Got back from a business trip tonight and ate fruits and veggies for supper, so I'm munching some cheese now...why the hell is it so hard to get good, filling, meals with lots of fruits and veggies (barring salads which I don't like)
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:22 am

thegleek wrote:
That's awesome man! what motivated you? health? paleo diet? documentary? what state do you live in? i'm curious about the availability and costs.

Cowtalk! I have a few paleo friends but I'm not one myself (yet...) because I like bread and pasta too damned much. I got this particular lot because I know a preacher who knew the farmer and he didn't want to fill his freezers with the whole cow so we split it (and I gave/sold some of my share to friends). I like buying locally anyway as something of an ethical concern (I'm also gardening).

I'm on the Indiana side of the Ohio river. If you want a large portion of meat you can find a co-op or ask at a farmer's market. Butcher might set you up, too. Also, interwebs! Cost will vary a helluva lot given the cuts you want and based on the breed, rearing, and packaging (and branding, if the outfit is big). Anywhere from like $3/lb for a mostly-burger package of grain-finished lot beef to ridiculous crazytown prices ($12/lb+) for bunches of steaks cut from exotic pasture-finished cows. Also, it can be cheaper if you put a deposit on or buy a calf. Offal and bones shouldn't cost you much if you want them, and you could do as I do and have them grind some stuff in with the ground beef like the heart and tail (you can even cook some tendon in a crock pot to add to a burger mix).

The 209 lb half of a pasture-raised grass fed and finished Angus/Simmental ended up at $5.50/lb (vacuum packed). That's a nice price for the cuts I got (whole tenderloin, lots of steaks, nice mix of burger, bones) and the work, and it tastes great and is well-marbled. It would cost me damn-near twice that at the grocery/butcher. Actually, the groceries rarely sell grass-finished beef (only grass-fed) and the butchers usually do silly markup on it because they can.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:26 am

Jambe wrote:
Offal and bones shouldn't cost you much if you want them, and you could do as I do and have them grind some stuff in with the ground beef like the heart and tail (you can even cook some tendon in a crock pot to add to a burger mix).

Sounds gross. What's the appeal with the heart, tail, tendon? I've always been just a premium steak, top-sirloin ground round kind-a-guy. I'm not much into fat, even if it does provide most/all of the flavor.

Jambe wrote:
Actually, the groceries rarely sell grass-finished beef (only grass-fed) and the butchers usually do silly markup on it because they can.

Didn't know what that meant, so I looked it up:

http://www.grass-fed-beef-101.com/defin ... _beef.html

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:23 am

thegleek wrote:
Jambe wrote:
Offal and bones shouldn't cost you much if you want them, and you could do as I do and have them grind some stuff in with the ground beef like the heart and tail (you can even cook some tendon in a crock pot to add to a burger mix).

Sounds gross. What's the appeal with the heart, tail, tendon? I've always been just a premium steak, top-sirloin ground round kind-a-guy. I'm not much into fat, even if it does provide most/all of the flavor.

Generally speaking I'm not into the organ meats much myself; but in spite of that, I do have to say: liverwurst FTW! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:33 pm

thegleek wrote:

An ethical concern, for one (kinda wasteful). Mostly though, I was served bits regularly working on a farm, so it's not a big deal for me. The heart and tail are just muscley/fatty hunks of meat. You honestly can't tell that the heart is mixed in, and the oxtail is just a little gamier than the rest of the animal. If you don't like gamier tasting meat then leave the oxtail out, or try stewing it with lots of seasoning. Tendon is just delicious and gelatinous but still quite beefy, but if you're not into the texture of fat you won't like it, so you can leave it out.

Grass-finished beef is more expensive. But again, for me, it's something of an ethical concern. I saw feed lots first-hand and didn't like them. You can find grain-finished non-lot meat but it tastes different. It is fattier and more marbled than your average grass-finished meat. Grass-finished is (I think) subtly earthier/beefier than grain-fed which has more of the unctuous straight fat flavor than it does the gamy beef flavor... so that puts off many people who were raised on grain-finished beef.
Last edited by Jambe on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Don't skimp on the paté.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Just made steak au poivre with a blasphemous Michter's straight rye pan sauce, mashed potato cakes with a sour cream & chive dip and asparagus pan-fried with garlic in butter. The last bits of my Cowgirl Creamery Mt Tam were consumed, as well. Water and the rye to drink.

I didn't eff up, either! It impressed and was delicious; mission accomplished.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:02 pm

Homemade Penne pasta with 4 cheese sauce, Gorgonzola, Fontina, Parmesan, Mascarpone.... freaking amazing :).
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Green grapes and red strawberries.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:13 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Green grapes and red strawberries.

Do strawberries come in any other color?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue May 22, 2012 7:31 pm

Fresh headless 31-35 count gulf shrimp, steamed with a little Old Bay seasoning.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:42 am

A delicious laab moo from a hole-in-the-wall Thai place here at work.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Home-made mac and cheese leftovers. They're even better sitting in the fridge overnight.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:53 pm

A delicious oyster omelette, prepared by moi.

confusedpenguin
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:00 pm

My girlfriend brought over a fish taco. :)

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Been feasting on the Nutrisystem diet for the past 4 months. Not overly yummy, but I've dropped a total of 53 pounds and feel like a new man. ymmv
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:27 pm

RickyTick wrote:
Been feasting on the Nutrisystem diet for the past 4 months. Not overly yummy, but I've dropped a total of 53 pounds and feel like a new man. ymmv

Congrats, that's quite an accomplishment. I don't think I could last 4 months on the Nutrisystem diet, I would go insane.

I've been eating healthier too though. I've cut way back on meat (especially read meat), and I'm eating more vegetables and non-meat protein (e.g. beans, tofu, low-fat yogurt). I've lost a few pounds, but nothing spectacular. I figure if I keep it up I'll be down to a healthy(-ish) weight in a few more months.

You'll pry my beer out of my cold dead hands, though! :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Read meat? How do you get it in the scanner?

I wish I had your weight issues.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:05 pm

The change in dietary habits was motivated more by a bout of gout this past spring than by a desire to lose weight, though dropping a few pounds would be a good idea too. Pain is a very powerful motivator, and jeez does gout hurt!

I have not had a piece of beef jerky in approximately 6 months. I really miss its savory, salty, chewy goodness. I don't know if I can bear to wear my "Got jerky? Got beer? Got dinner!" t-shirt any more...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The change in dietary habits was motivated more by a bout of gout this past spring than by a desire to lose weight, though dropping a few pounds would be a good idea too. Pain is a very powerful motivator, and jeez does gout hurt!

I have not had a piece of beef jerky in approximately 6 months. I really miss its savory, salty, chewy goodness. I don't know if I can bear to wear my "Got jerky? Got beer? Got dinner!" t-shirt any more...

That's right, I forgot the beef jerky discussion at the BBQ this year. Haven't done gout yet and have no plans to give it a whirl.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Haven't done gout yet and have no plans to give it a whirl.

Does anybody ever plan to get gout? :lol:

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:47 pm

R&P salad. Liberal tossed greens with tomatoes, kani, and a conservative portion of sliced hungarian sausage. Frenchie mango vinaigrette all over.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
Congrats, that's quite an accomplishment.

Thanks. Went from 251 to 196, as of today. Turning 50 on my next birthday and felt it was a good time to get my health in order. Got 2 kids that really need their Dad to be around for a long time. Nutrisystem is not bad at all and it has definitely worked for me. I still have about 2 more weeks on it, and that's where the real challenge starts.
Thanks again. :)
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q