Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Scary Spider Situation *pics*

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:40 am

Okay guys,

I'm sitting at my comp, watching a movie, when out of the corner of my eye something sizable comes scurrying across the white carpet towards the desk. A flippin' spider comes towards me and tries to hide under the desk but due to the (thankfully) sh**y design gets trapped. I murdered his a** and went back to what I was doing, a little shaken.

Within the next five minutes, ANOTHER friggin spider of the same size and specie crawls under my bed. So I spend the next couple minutes removing items/potential hiding spots. Finally I found what I thought was the spider, hiding behind a black sock next to the wall. I told him he was ugly and huge, and was ready to kill him, but then ANOTHER one makes a run for it to the left, along the wall. I curse and kill that one, and then quickly squish the sock one. When I lifted the sock one, there were TWO of the same size and specie spider. Damnit! What the hell is going on here!

After looking around on the wiki, I had to figure out for myself what kindof spider I had just killed. I took a specimen that was the least-damaged and put him on a white CD sleeve. It took courage just posing his huge legs with tweezers. Here are some pics of the specimen:

According to what I've researched, it should be a Hobo Spider. It matches the region and has the same gnarly looking fangly things. I guess that means I can rest knowing I won't die in my sleep from a spider bite, but still. I'm effing freaked. What should I do? Any home-owning gerbils here have experience with spider infestations? I'm afraid to open the water-heater closet. I'm fielding any and all suggestions.[/img]
2014 21" iMac w Intel Iris Pro

toxent
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:07 am

I am highly arachniphobic, so i feel your pain. I almost didn't read this thread.

I suggest you get a cat. I've seen my cats eat every kind of bug, and spider they could get a hold of. It's a nice way to get a fulfilling companion, and potentially reslove your spider problem.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition w/Scythe Ninja HSF | ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 | GSkill 8GB(2x4GB) PC3-12800 | PowerColor Radeon 4850 512MB | Samsung Spinpont F1 1TB SATA

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:16 am

They make good pets actually, very low care requirments--but that's just me.
Get some spider traps and/or bug bomb your place. it isn't perfect but it cuts down on the creepies rather a lot.

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:26 am

Poor little spider, you should have just picked it up and but it outside.

Looks like a huntsman spider, but I'm on a different continent.
http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/hu ... piders.htm

http://www.floridanature.org/photos/Het ... 020402.jpg
Edit: Pic to big, switched to a link
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

SteveL
Gerbil In Training

Nothing to worry about...

Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:11 am

It just looks like a common house spider to me (Tegenaria gigantea). We see loads of them, varying from little ones to "oh my god, what's that?" size. They don't hurt and they keep the bug levels down! Shame you had to kill them.

Steve

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:32 am

Oh man I hate spiders. When I lived in Texas we had a big problem with Black Widow spiders and Scorpions. The ultimate cure was DemonWP, this is the best stuff.

http://www.pestproducts.com/demonwp.htm

snowdog
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:37 am

I live in a basement apt, in an old building (from 1800's) I have spiders everywhere. I have a deal with them. I leave them alone and they leave me alone. Actually I like spiders as they kill other bugs and don't bother me.

The thing that creeps me out are the House Centipedes that attack my spiders! If you think they look creepy standing still you should see them moving. They make my skin crawl.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:39 am

Man I hate spiders, and if I seen one that big in my house it would up for sale the next day. Poison gas the entire house...

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:53 am

snowdog wrote:
I live in a basement apt, in an old building (from 1800's) I have spiders everywhere. I have a deal with them. I leave them alone and they leave me alone. Actually I like spiders as they kill other bugs and don't bother me.

The thing that creeps me out are the House Centipedes that attack my spiders! If you think they look creepy standing still you should see them moving. They make my skin crawl.

Bout 7 years ago one of those woke me up as it crawled across my chest. I woke up thinking I was imagining things and then it crawled across my neck. I proceeded to FREAK out for the next 20 seconds.

Fighthouse
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:01 am

Eeeek!
/high pitched girly scream

that is all
Does not compute

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:12 am

And do we all know why geeks freak out when we see creepy looking bugs?

Casue we all remember that scene in STII:TWoK.

You know the one I am talking about. :o

I know at that age it royally freaked me out.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:22 am

snowdog wrote:

those things are DISGUSTING!! i hate them. my sister calls them "eyebrow bugs" and a week or two ago i was waken at 4 AM to kill one that was hiding in her bathroom. they always creep me out.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:30 am

snowdog wrote:

Yeah, house centipedes are seriously freaky bugs. They sort of... ripple, in a fluid flowing sort of way. And they move fast.

We never had 'em at our previous house, so I hadn't seen one until about 6 years ago. One day shortly after we moved I opened the garage door, and one of 'em dropped right onto my head, then to the floor, whereupon it took off down the driveway at a really good clip and ran under my car. Really freaked me out, since I had no idea WTF it was.

Since then I've caught at least a dozen of 'em in the basement.

They also have a defense mechanism where if something grabs one by a leg, it sheds the trapped leg in order to escape. A few times where I've tried to trap them under a glass, I've pinched a leg or two under the rim of the glass; the leg comes off and keeps twitching for quite a while... now that's creepy! :o
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MBIlover
Gerbil

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:31 am

Since you have many spiders that size in your place, there are two assumptions:

1) You don't dust/vacuum often enough in the corners of your house.

2) There are many bugs that are to be consumed by these spiders that do not have a natural predator anymore.

:o

or I could have just posted four words:

Arachnophobia. Call John Goodman.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:35 am

GAH!! I HATE spiders. A couple of times a summer I have a "spider purge" where I walk around my house with a broom (or a long stick), grab the spiders from their webs, and proceed to smash/squish the spiders on the pavement. Sometimes I use household cleaners on them, but that can get expensive.

Fortunately I live up in Canada where we don't have anything poisonous.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Justice
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:55 am

I have a different arachnid problem in my house... scorpions.
|FN|Steel wrote:
Millions of sheep doesn't make [Censored] right.

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:17 am

I don't have a problem with most spiders (as long as they're not poisonous to people). There is a bunch of them hanging out on my balcony and I just leave them alone since I almost never go out there. It's almost like a gentlemen's agreement, they don't come in the apartment and I don't come out on the balcony. :)

They're doing a pretty good job of keeping flies and other insects out of my apartment and I'm grateful to them for that. Occasionally if I find a spider inside my place, I will declare it being in violation of the aforementioned treaty and usually sentence it to death by flushing (down the toilet) although exceptions have been known to occur.

Just recently, however, I had a spider problem with one of my cars. They were living in the mirrors and would continuously weave webs from mirrors to doors. The car is sitting most of the time since I'm driving the other one so it makes sense. I tried destroying the webs every time I saw them but new ones would appear the next day. So I finally washed the car (it was long overdue) and tried to water the mirrors quite well. So far good results with no webs for a couple of weeks. Of course I don't know spider logic enough to say that I got rid of them for sure. Maybe they're just trying to trap me. :D

Spiders, if you are reading this, it's nothing personal, just business.

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:30 am

Oooh, big strong man kills tiny defenseless arachnid! Homo Sapiens again demonstrates his absolute superiority over all other living things!

Ahhh, if there is such a thing as balance in this universe, one day something will come along and squash us underfoot for no other reason than "I don't like you." Sigh, I can only hope...
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

vince
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:30 am

Reading this thread just made me happy to live in Canada, where the cold temps of winter means no big bugs in summer :D
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work unless it's open"... Frank Zappa

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:31 am

Looks like a plain old Wolf Spider to me. We have tons of them here in Oklahoma. They're nothing to worry about.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:34 am

vince wrote:
Reading this thread just made me happy to live in Canada, where the cold temps of winter means no big bugs in summer :D
You must be a looonnng way up if that's the case.

Why all the spider freaking out? It's not like they're out to get you or something.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:40 am

Pfffft, why do people have a irrational fear of small invertebrates? The vast majority of them are harmless. The species that can be harmful are reluctant to attack humans. I would be more afraid of nasty strains of bacteria than some pesky bugs.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:41 am

I generally leave spiders alone if I find them in the house.

Centipedes and silverfish, OTOH, get flushed.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:41 am

Spiders is good. They eats the cockroaches.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:28 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Oh my!

Zenith
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:39 pm

mattsteg, I've stared down big dogs with mean attitudes. Had confrontations with rattle snakes. I've relatively kept my calm in situations with animals where my life could have been on the line. Most bugs don't bother me. Beetles, flying insects, crustacean and a lot of other arthropods.

Jesus. H. Tap Dancing Christ do spiders bother me. Really itty bitty spiders don't bother me as much, but anything over 1/2 in total length including legs scare me instantly. I few select other bugs that look like spiders receive the same reaction from me. To me, it's not the idea of them being venomous. It's the visual factors. The darn things look scary at any size. It's their physiological layout that gives me the hibbe-jeebies.

My pet snake, on the other hand, doesn't do anything to me.
I have discovered that all human evils come from this, man's inability to sit still in a room. ~Blaise Pascal

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:43 pm

I hate anything that buzzes or crawls because I know it is irrational and incapable or thought. "Hey I'll sting you because I may perceive you as a threat" or "Hey sexy, how about a necrotic wound!"

Hate bugs.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Here in the wilds of suburban DC, we get a lot of spiders. We have a good sized garden spider living on the deck I call "Charlie" and he's allowed to live as long as he stays on the deck. Spiders indoors get evicted if I catch them, and killed if my wife catches them.

The exception are the Black Widows (and we have a lot of them here). They die immediately.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:07 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Pfffft, why do people have a irrational fear of small invertebrates? The vast majority of them are harmless. The species that can be harmful are reluctant to attack humans. I would be more afraid of nasty strains of bacteria than some pesky bugs.

I think I mentioned the most likely reason. They can crawl into places you don't want them too.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:11 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070801