Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

 
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Can it be true? AvP the second actually looks good?

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:35 pm

So I was supposed to be studying, but got bored, and decided to go trailer watching. And I stumbled upon this:
http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2007/0-9ABC/AvP2/trailer.php (click on the ign site, age verification required)

Alien vs. Predator: Requim. Sure, I was thinking, probably another steaming pile of filth like the first one was. But something changed my mind, probably when it asked for my age to download. Then the trailer itself was rated restricted. This has potential I thought. After watching it, I gotta say, I'm kind of excited about this. Lots of gore, and a plot I can actually get behind (that is, now humanity itself is threatened, instead of a bunch of arctic explorers nobody cares about)
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.
 
ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:38 pm

If it's by Paul W Anderson forget about it. The only thing that guy was ever good for was Event Horizon.
 
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:42 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:
If it's by Paul W Anderson forget about it. The only thing that guy was ever good for was Event Horizon.


That guy is teh suck. It's directed by Colin Strause and Greg Strause.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.
 
Mr. Bamboo Head
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:59 pm
Location: british columbia
Contact:

Re: Can it be true? AvP the second actually looks good?

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:59 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
Sure, I was thinking, probably another steaming pile of filth like the first one was.

what?? the first AvP was awesome! (just like 'Doom' was awesome) minimal story elements and fast action.
 
kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:47 pm
Location: Communistwealth of Virginia

Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:58 am

Wow, that 2 minute trailer was at least ten times better than the entire first AVP movie. There's hope after all...
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."
 
blitzy
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1844
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:27 pm
Location: New Zealand

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:24 am

I'll stay away from brining Alien or Aliens into this since I know where that'll lead, but it does looks like theres a chance it could be better than AVP. It was a pity the way AVP turned out, the plot actually wasn't that bad just too much emphasis on the heroine.. it didnt really achieve the seriousness that should be there for that type of movie
 
Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8052
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:44 am
Location: Hell, Virginia

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:32 am

ssidbroadcast wrote:
If it's by Paul W Anderson forget about it. The only thing that guy was ever good for was Event Horizon.
Even that isn't saying much.

"Ooooh, the ship is alive! And nobody cares!"
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
 
Vrock
Gerbil God
Posts: 22683
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:50 am

It looks like they just threw in alot of gore for shock value. I'll pass.

The Alien/Predator franchises are dead to me. Even the average Predator 2 looks like a cinematic masterpiece compared to the crap they churn out these days.
 
Vrock
Gerbil God
Posts: 22683
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Can it be true? AvP the second actually looks good?

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:52 am

Mr. Bamboo Head wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:
Sure, I was thinking, probably another steaming pile of filth like the first one was.

what?? the first AvP was awesome!
Let me guess...you're about 21 years old, and you've never seen (or didn't like) the original Alien and/or Predator? Am I right?
 
paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Posts: 6255
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:02 am

23, seen Predator, but never Aliens. Hated AvP. Unsure about this...gore for gore's sake is stupid.
 
roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1316
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: Ambergris
Contact:

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:21 am

please dont judge from this statement: I saw alient vs preditor in the theater 6 times. haha. Im by no means saying its the best movie ever. in fact i thought it was pretty crap. bad acting, no love for characters, poor plot, but to see those two duking it out was totally awesome. ill most likely see the second one, (ONCE). i saw the trailer like 2 weeks ago, (cant rewatch now im at work) but it seemed like 20 people died in the trailer alone. seems kinda rediculous.

huge fan of both alien and preditor series movies. my IDEAL AvP would be just an all out war between the two races with no humans whatsoever, no (comprehensible) dialog, just WAR. now THAT would be a great movie.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"
 
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3050
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:57 pm

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:40 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
23, seen Predator, but never Aliens.
BLASPHEMY!!!

You are now required to turn in your geek identification card. Your membership has been revoked, so say us.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
 
Vrock
Gerbil God
Posts: 22683
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:43 am

roont wrote:
huge fan of both alien and preditor series movies. my IDEAL AvP would be just an all out war between the two races with no humans whatsoever, no (comprehensible) dialog, just WAR. now THAT would be a great movie.
Your idea of a "great movie" is mindless violence with no plot, characters, or dialogue? :roll:
 
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:47 am

Vrock wrote:
Your idea of a "great movie" is mindless violence with no plot, characters, or dialogue? :roll:


Sometimes, that's all I'm looking for in a movie.....sometimes.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.
 
Vrock
Gerbil God
Posts: 22683
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:52 am

That's disturbing. :-?
 
roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1316
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: Ambergris
Contact:

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:07 am

Vrock wrote:
roont wrote:
huge fan of both alien and preditor series movies. my IDEAL AvP would be just an all out war between the two races with no humans whatsoever, no (comprehensible) dialog, just WAR. now THAT would be a great movie.
Your idea of a "great movie" is mindless violence with no plot, characters, or dialogue? :roll:


i didnt say that. just becuase theres no dialog doesnt mean there cant be a plot and characters. it could follow a seasoned general preditor as he tried to get his man out of an insanely infested alien area or something of the like. You dont need dialog for a great movie, i.e. triplets of belleville.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"
 
roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1316
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: Ambergris
Contact:

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:14 am

Vrock wrote:
roont wrote:
huge fan of both alien and preditor series movies. my IDEAL AvP would be just an all out war between the two races with no humans whatsoever, no (comprehensible) dialog, just WAR. now THAT would be a great movie.
Your idea of a "great movie" is mindless violence with no plot, characters, or dialogue? :roll:


and mindless violence... most war to me is mindless violence. and since its alien VS preditor, id naturally assume that it would be a war between the two.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"
 
Vrock
Gerbil God
Posts: 22683
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:39 am

If you think war is mindless violence, you're quite wrong. War is the focused, purposeful, and practical application of violence.
 
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3050
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:57 pm

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:48 am

roont wrote:
preditor
I really don't like being a grammar nazi, but after seeing you incorrectly spell the word four times, among with others, I feel like I have to point this out to you:

Predator.

And for those that don't know, the race is called Yautja. Yes, I'm a huge fan of the Predator series (especially some of the books) if you can't tell. The Alien series is badass as well, as long as you don't include Resurrection and parts of 3.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
 
lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2956
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:59 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:06 am

I loved the first Predator .. . . .hated the second (couldn't even watch it to the end)

I was 8 when I watched the first Aliens (scared to death - couldn't sleep for 4 months). Loved the second Aliens . . . .the others after that was an absolute waste of film.

I say they should send the predators to the Alien planet for sport hunting like the first predator and go from there.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .
 
Vrock
Gerbil God
Posts: 22683
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:18 am

lex-ington wrote:
I loved the first Predator .. . . .hated the second (couldn't even watch it to the end)

I was 8 when I watched Alien (scared to death - couldn't sleep for 4 months). Loved Aliens . . . .the others after that was an absolute waste of film.

I say they should send the predators to the Alien planet for sport hunting like the first predator and go from there.
Fixed.
 
SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I
Posts: 6208
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:37 am

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:07 am

kvndoom wrote:
Wow, that 2 minute trailer was at least ten times better than the entire first AVP movie. There's hope after all...

I didn't watch AvP, but I'm pretty sure that its 2-minute trailer was ten times better than the movie as well. :wink:
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals
 
Jebus
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 11:29 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:24 am

Hooty hoo. I'll see it.

I actually have the first AvP on dvd. Got it for $3 or something. :P It was ok.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:32 am

Vrock wrote:
lex-ington wrote:
I loved the first Predator .. . . .hated the second (couldn't even watch it to the end)

I was 8 when I watched Alien (scared to death - couldn't sleep for 4 months). Loved Aliens . . . .the others after that was an absolute waste of film.

I say they should send the predators to the Alien planet for sport hunting like the first predator and go from there.
Fixed.

Thanks, that was bugging me too. The first movie is "Alien". The second one is "Aliens".

That said, ya'll know that I like my senseless violence. And yes, I have seen Alien and Aliens and own Predator, but haven't seen Resurrection or Predator 2. Saw AvP and liked it quite a bit, for the fun.

To be perfectly honest, the whole slow, disparaging style of Alien/Aliens was too "2001: A Space Odyssey"-ish for me. Too slow, and at times dull. Different generations, I guess.
 
FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:04 pm
Location: Borås, Sweden

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:44 am

Event Horizon is one of my absolute favorite sci-fi's. And Resident Evil (the first one) isn't too bad either. But the first AvP on the other hand...
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive
 
Vrock
Gerbil God
Posts: 22683
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:06 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
To be perfectly honest, the whole slow, disparaging style of Alien/Aliens was too "2001: A Space Odyssey"-ish for me. Too slow, and at times dull. Different generations, I guess.
OK, I can *almost* agree that parts of Alien dragged, but Aliens? Once they get into space it's balls to the wall action.

Kids these days, I tell you. If there isn't an explosion every five seconds and gallons of stage blood sprayed across the screen, it's "slow" or "dull". Feh. :roll:
 
FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:04 pm
Location: Borås, Sweden

Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:10 pm

Vrock wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
To be perfectly honest, the whole slow, disparaging style of Alien/Aliens was too "2001: A Space Odyssey"-ish for me. Too slow, and at times dull. Different generations, I guess.
OK, I can *almost* agree that parts of Alien dragged, but Aliens? Once they get into space it's balls to the wall action.

Kids these days, I tell you. If there isn't an explosion every five seconds and gallons of stage blood sprayed across the screen, it's "slow" or "dull". Feh. :roll:

Isn't 80-90% of Aliens *not* in space? But yeah, how you can call it dull is beyond me aswell.. :-)
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive
 
Vrock
Gerbil God
Posts: 22683
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:13 pm

FubbHead wrote:
Vrock wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
To be perfectly honest, the whole slow, disparaging style of Alien/Aliens was too "2001: A Space Odyssey"-ish for me. Too slow, and at times dull. Different generations, I guess.
OK, I can *almost* agree that parts of Alien dragged, but Aliens? Once they get into space it's balls to the wall action.

Kids these days, I tell you. If there isn't an explosion every five seconds and gallons of stage blood sprayed across the screen, it's "slow" or "dull". Feh. :roll:

Isn't 80-90% of Aliens *not* in space? But yeah, how you can call it dull is beyond me aswell.. :-)
Yeah most of it is on the planet. But once they get into space is where the film picks up.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:22 pm

Vrock wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
To be perfectly honest, the whole slow, disparaging style of Alien/Aliens was too "2001: A Space Odyssey"-ish for me. Too slow, and at times dull. Different generations, I guess.
OK, I can *almost* agree that parts of Alien dragged, but Aliens? Once they get into space it's balls to the wall action.


Yeah, it's mostly Alien I'm referring to. I don't remember specifically about Aliens.
 
ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:53 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
23, seen Predator, but never Aliens.


"Game over, man. Game over!"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blastdoor, Google Adsense [Bot], Vrock and 2 guests
GZIP: On