Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

I don't understand this......

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:06 am

Why do people use a 5 year old copy of Norton Anti-Virus on their systems and expect to be protected against new viruses. I just cleaned up a system for a guy at work with the 2002 version on NAV on it. The Live Update was disabled because he didn't pay for the service. So he was well protected against any virii that were 5 years old. :-?

These people know there are free version of stuff on the web, but refuse to use it for God knows why, and then complain when they get infected. I just don't understand that mindset.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:17 am

How about me, I don't have any anti virus installed! How bad is that!

The last time I looked I couldn't find any decent, free x64 AV software.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:23 am

I would hope you know that NAV is just utter crap compared to some of the free apps available, and I certainly hope you know not to use something that's 5 years old ans expect to be well protected.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:23 am

Because they don't realise its not working?

All of their other software and hardware continues to work why shouldn't the anti virus? The user is probably just running the same software that came with the machine with maybe a couple of games installed. The user might not even understands that the anti virus is a separate piece of software, let alone know they have to pay for it every year.

Think of computers as cars. Some people will get them serviced, look after them and pay attention to whats going on but a lot of others will use it till it breaks and then take it in for a repair.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:25 am

SpotTheCat wrote:

Times have changed. AVG free works in x64 Vista, as does Avast.

EDIT: I had Norton on my system for about 4 years only because it came with something, then every year just before the new version came out they would sell the old one free after an upgrade MIR. Worked out well for me. Obviously I only installed NAV and occasionally ran SpeedDisk/DiskDoctor from the CD. Those tools actually were pretty useful. The one's that ran live were the nasty one's.
Last edited by Usacomp2k3 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:49 am

My dad installs every Norton app that comes down the pike, then complains that his system is slow and wants me to fix it. So I uninstall Norton, install AVG and next time I sit down at his PC, he's reinstalled Norton.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:12 am

SpotTheCat wrote:

Neither do I. But then again, I don't get viruses. They're actually really simple to not get, just don't install them.

I always get a laugh when people come up to me (they know I'm good with computers) and ask which anti-virus I use. When I tell them I don't use any, the looks of utter shock and amazement on their faces is priceless. "It's easy" I say "Just don't download stuff you don't know what it is, and be careful when using programs like Limewire"

Simple training is all that's needed, as I've taught my sister how to not get viruses. Fortunately my mom only visits a couple of sites, and they're all large organizations that have clean web-sites. She doesn't know how to download stuff (not that she would anyways), so no need for a Virus Scanner for her either.

So, yay for me and having a family that doesn't get viruses!
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:28 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
"Just don't download stuff you don't know what it is, and be careful when using programs like Limewire"

P2P apps are invariantly conduits for receiving virus'. I'd extend your statement to say "...and don't use programs like Limewire". If you really need to download stuff, it's easy enough to just have a VM that is your download OS. Then you can dl stuff and run it in there to make sure that it's valid. Then you don't need to worry about files. That's a bit extreme though.

p2p apps are rarely needed for legitimate uses by joe sixpack.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:11 am

SpotTheCat wrote:
I don't either. I just take it on faith that I know what to open or not. I don't open attachments unless I'm expecting them. And no one else uses my computer really so... why bother.

bwoodring
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:35 am

Another vote for no Anti-Virus, and 18 years of computer use w/o getting a virus.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:43 am

bwoodring wrote:
Another vote for no Anti-Virus

Yup same here.

I got burned once in college and I learned quickly what to do and what not to do.

Although keyloggers scare the hell out of me and are becoming more and more prevalent. Do any of the free SW protect against this Stuff?

I do however protect the hell out of my home network.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

gerbilspy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:25 am

idchafee wrote:
My dad installs every Norton app that comes down the pike, then complains that his system is slow and wants me to fix it. So I uninstall Norton, install AVG and next time I sit down at his PC, he's reinstalled Norton.

You are a fine son to take such good care of your Dad's computer!
Is there any way to to prevent the Installation of Norton? Maybe block their website? :)
Not retired anymore

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:28 am

I for the last few months haven't run any AV on this machine, although due to a... questionable... download, I'm going to install Avast (which is my normal favorite) before I do anything with it.

Let me put it this way.

If Norton was free, and Avast was $100 year, and those were the only two antivirus programs, I'd pay for Avast.

And Avast is free, and Norton is what's expensive.

Justice
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:04 am

I've used SAV Corporate since version 7.0. No issues yet, and caught plenty of virii and exploits try to attack my system. I agree that the home user version of NAV sucks majorly, the Corporate SAV works great. Been using version 10.1 for awhile now, and just got the email last night for thier new "Endpoint Protection". I have to read more on the product info, but by it's naming, I'd bet it's a AV and Firewall combo program. Something I'll definately not want to have.
|FN|Steel wrote:
Millions of sheep doesn't make [Censored] right.

1970BossMsutang
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:37 am

NOD32 woo!
E6600 2.88GHZ | Asus P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe| 4GB DDR800 Corsair XM2 | 3x 320GB Barricuda RAID 0 |BFG Geforce 8800 GTX OC2| X-Fi Xtreme music | OCZ 700 Watt PSU

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:48 am

Justice wrote:
I've used SAV Corporate since version 7.0. No issues yet, and caught plenty of virii and exploits try to attack my system. I agree that the home user version of NAV sucks majorly, the Corporate SAV works great. Been using version 10.1 for awhile now, and just got the email last night for thier new "Endpoint Protection". I have to read more on the product info, but by it's naming, I'd bet it's a AV and Firewall combo program. Something I'll definately not want to have.

I've had the consumer norton uninstaller freeze on me, then I have to manually delete left over files. :evil: The school requires our students to use nod 32 so we uninstall their 18 month free AV's.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:58 pm

bwoodring wrote:
Another vote for no Anti-Virus, and 18 years of computer use w/o getting a virus.
That you know of, anyway. Download AVGFree and run it, you might be shocked what's lurking in your system files. I know I was when I installed it years ago on what I was sure was a "clean" copy of Windows XP.

I was just like you for the longest time, but with effective free anti-virus out there, there's really no reason not to run it. It's not like the old days where you could avoid viruses and the like by being careful about "what you click on".

Clint Torres
Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:05 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:

Try AVG free. It works great with Vista x64.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:41 pm

Clint Torres wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:

I'm on XP 64. I decided not to install vista because it doesn't have the features I thought it had.

Clint Torres
Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:51 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
Clint Torres wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:

I'm on XP 64. I decided not to install vista because it doesn't have the features I thought it had.

I'm sure it works on XP x64 as well, though I haven't tested it.

jiminyjetson
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:50 am

It really isn't that hard to stay virus free. stay away from the dodgy pr0n, don't use p2p. hell, for the price you pay for a commercial AV program, just get a usenet account, if you really must have yourself some pirated goodies.

I tend to have AVG installed but disabled and just turn it on to run a scan once every 3-4 months. I'm still yet to have any kind of virus after a lifetime of computer usage.
new rig: C2D e6400 (THE OC RETURNS! (currently 3.6ghz @ 1.45v)), gigabyte DS3, g. skill 2gb DDR2 800 6400, Hiper type M 670W PSU, 9600GT, 320gb Seagate Baracuda, Antec P180 Case
maxxcool wrote:
CRONK!
TRAINWRECK!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:10 am

jiminyjetson wrote:
for the price you pay for a commercial AV program, just get a usenet account, if you really must have yourself some pirated goodies.
Some files posted are infected as well. If you haven't seen them yet then you must be lucky.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.