Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Winter weather

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:13 am

Got 2 feet headed our way through tomorrow AM. Leaving the office now to get home ahead of the worst of it.

EDIT: State gov't closed up at noon today. This is VT; if gov't closes, run home. Snow is pounding down right now. Thankfully it's powder, so I shouldn't have to worry about power issues. At the rate it's falling, the revised estimate of 18" to 26" seems quite reasonable.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:13 pm

This was my afternoon project. There's a Subaru Forester somewhere in that pile. The one piece you can see is the passenger side mirror, so not only is there a lot of snow on the car, there's even more on the ground.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:17 pm

A coworker that lives in or around Yarmouth, ME said that he ran the snowblower for two hours this morning just to get the driveway clear, along with a lot of digging to get his car out. I would have just worked from home if that was my other choice. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:23 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I would have just worked from home if that was my other choice. :lol:

Well, that's what my boss thinks I'm doing. In reality, I'm just relocating snow. Can't wait to brave the road and dig out the mailbox. Dog is not happy, as the snow is deeper than he is.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Re:

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Vrock wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
A 2 hour delay for 3" of snow? Why so long of a delay? Long trip?
He probably lives in the South. It's like that everytime we get snow in VA. It's frustrating. Everytime it snows here everyone acts like it's the first damn time they've ever seen the stuff. Traffic backs up, cars and trucks slide into ditches, and there's general pandamonium. It's ridiculous.
Doesn't matter whether it is the South. Up here in the so-called Great White North the first snowfall is going to be chaos.

Ok, may be Toronto cannot be counted as the GWN then? Manitobans and Albertans deal with this better?

No Toronto can not be counted as the Great White North............sorry. And probably a good majority of the people currently in Toronto now, are probably from places where snow does not exist.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
This was my afternoon project. There's a Subaru Forester somewhere in that pile. The one piece you can see is the passenger side mirror, so not only is there a lot of snow on the car, there's even more on the ground.

Lucky you. We had rain here the other week and now -25C, like a skating rink everywhere and crappy for snowmobiling. My sled is drooling looking at that fresh powder :(

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:47 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Lucky you. We had rain here the other week and now -25C, like a skating rink everywhere and crappy for snowmobiling.

Ah, my January, then.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:55 pm

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Two days out of school for the kid, and two hours late start tomorrow. Unheard of in NY. However, while we missed the really heavy stuff like Vermont had, we had moderate snow for 48 hours straight. Even after the wind and settling I measured 19 inches average. If it came all at once, and straight down, it would have been 24" easily. Sure beats brown and cold though. Very pretty out!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:41 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
Sure beats brown and cold though. Very pretty out!

100% agreed. I hate brown season. The big dump we got in Feb was followed by rain and temps in the 50s, so it didn't hang around. This one looks like it'll be here for much longer.

VT ski areas are plotzing as I type.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:57 am

LS will love this one. Spotted on an e-signboard in the Crotchfester area. BTW, they still stink on the inside.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Re:

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:21 am

anotherengineer wrote:

No Toronto can not be counted as the Great White North............sorry. And probably a good majority of the people currently in Toronto now, are probably from places where snow does not exist.

I used to live just north of Newmarket (Holland Landing/Marsh). I gotta tell you when a winter clipper comes through and the temp is -25c it is still damn cold.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:44 am

Lol, Dick Ide Honda! Crotchfester... never hear it called that before :wink: don't go there if I can help it.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:22 am

While I was at work yesterday I had a call from my wife at home saying that the ERV was making a funny noise. I told her to unplug it (just Google for HRV recalls related to fires) and I'd deal with it when I got home.

When I got home I first have to spend 1/2 an hour snowblowing the plow poop and drifting snow that had accumulated over the day (wife is scared of the snowblower and will shovel rather than run it). I finally got in the house and headed downstairs to look at the ERV and saw water dripping out the corner :o

With towels and a bucket to hand, opening the cover revealed the thing was 1/2 full of slush. I took out all the parts, emptied out the slush, dried off as much as I could with towels and left all the parts to dry overnight. I put it back together this morning and it all works :)

Looking out of the window gave a clue to what happened. With the winds and the snow yesterday the drift is all the way up to where the intake is and so it must have been sucking the snow in. I was surprised that the slush managed to get through the filter and the fan and was even under the enthalpy wheel, but I guess once the filter was wet it was drawing the water off the filter and then refreezing as slush further through the system. I've left it turned off with instructions for when the 12 year old drags himself out of bed to go shovel the snow bank away from the intake.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:43 am

ERV. Not exactly a selling point for a house built circa 1875.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:46 am

liquidsquid wrote:
Crotchfester... never hear it called that before :wink:

Sophomore roommate (first year in the fraternity, '82-'83) had a poster from the 107.1 FM station (whatever they call themselves today) with Crotchfester on it. At least 1/2 of my vinyl collection was sourced from the fine institution at 645 Titus Ave in Irondequoit.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:58 am

We (= Boston area) only got about 8 inches of very heavy, wet snow, so got off easy this time. Spent a good part of Tuesday afternoon shoveling the driveway and the walk, and a kind neighbor with a large snowblower was going up and down the street to help everyone with the plow piles.

Then it rained a bit Tuesday night, and it's been cold ever since, and now the snow is hard a concrete - you could easily break a window if you threw some of this stuff around. I'm very glad I got everything done, because I'd need a pickaxe if I had to clear anything out right now.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:18 am

Captain Ned wrote:
ERV. Not exactly a selling point for a house built circa 1875.

Yup, you have enough leaks for more than adequate ventilation. Ours is only 10 years old and Energy Star certified. It's pretty much air tight so a ventilator of some sort is required. Apart from the ventilator, there's the kitchen range hood exhaust, the water heater exhaust and the tumble dryer exhaust as the only ways through the vapour barrier. The gas furnace has an intake and exhaust and is sealed up, so basically inside the burner compartment of the furnace is outside the vapour barrier.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:38 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
We (= Boston area) only got about 8 inches of very heavy, wet snow, so got off easy this time. Spent a good part of Tuesday afternoon shoveling the driveway and the walk, and a kind neighbor with a large snowblower was going up and down the street to help everyone with the plow piles.

Then it rained a bit Tuesday night, and it's been cold ever since, and now the snow is hard a concrete - you could easily break a window if you threw some of this stuff around. I'm very glad I got everything done, because I'd need a pickaxe if I had to clear anything out right now.

Same here in central NJ. Back is aching from shoveling about 5" of heavy slush off the driveway and sidewalks Tues afternoon. Glad I cleared it off my truck that afternoon or it would have re-froze into a hard shell like you said. We're thawing out a little bit today.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:58 am

I truly hope this is my last winter in Wisconsin (I told myself last winter would be my last one and yet here I am). This cold spurt is definitely not as bad as it could be (daytime temps get up to near 0F/-18C, nighttime around -14F/-26C), and the snow is still tame relative to the NE U.S., but I'm just tired of dealing with it. Windchills this morning are -19F/-30C; the dogs my girlfriend and I are watching want nothing to do with being outside. The abundance of salt on the sidewalks is equally frustrating since it's pretty useless at these temperatures. All it does is wreak havoc on carpets/floors. I'd readily exchange more snow for warmer temperatures any day.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:17 am

Captain Ned wrote:
LS will love this one. Spotted on an e-signboard in the Crotchfester area. BTW, they still stink on the inside.

Grew up there,not to far from that sign, still miss HoG , Garbage Plates and Friday night fish fry. The rest of it I will happily do without.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 am

At a ski resort for a wedding. Sitting here watching the empty chair lifts going up the hill and almost nobody skiing. It's -23C and with the windchill -28C. It's actually too cold for Canadians

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:10 am

Here in the DC area it's been in the teens and single digits for over a week. It's been years since snow has persisted on the ground for so long. It's beautiful out and the temperature is pushing the limits of how warm my winter gear can keep me.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:55 pm

My ski-doo and I are jealous of those lucky Eskimos in Penn State, 5 ft of snow. We have about 6-8 inches and are going on week 3 of this.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/we ... io/timmins

can't wait to see the heating bill in another week.............

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:43 pm

Seeing as it was too cold to ski we went in the hotel pool, then we noticed the outdoor hot tub. Ended up with totally crazy frozen hair.

Getting out and putting the cover back on was painful.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:39 am

Effin' 15 below this AM. Waiting for the bus felt like forever, even though it was less than 5 minutes.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:59 am

The overnight lows until last night here were -33C, -36C, -34C, -31C. Absolutely ridiculous. It's -12C here now after warming up overnight. Hopefully not too many more cold snaps like that one. To top it all off, winter wouldn't be so bad if I could partake in my favourite winter activity, snowmobiling, but we have basically no snow. :evil:

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:43 am

Feeding animals at -17F is not fun!!!
One of the horses needs her feet wrapped and you can't do that with gloves on...

Luckily we only have 5 horses to feed an not 17....
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:19 am

-15C actual, -25C wind chill, that's January weather not November. All kinds of records set this last week for coldest here in Ottawa.

I'm done with this Climate Change stuff, I want my Global Warming back, I'm in Canada! :evil:

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:43 am

From -4 C actual to -15 C in one day up here in Ontario. It's cold.