Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:54 pm

We had about 3", but only a 2hour delay I was like WTF!!!! Theres snow everywhere. My friends bus slipped off the road. I was mad :evil:
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:58 pm

GeForce6200 wrote:
We had about 3", but only a 2hour delay I was like WTF!!!! Theres snow everywhere. My friends bus slipped off the road. I was mad :evil:
A 2 hour delay for 3" of snow? Why so long of a delay? Long trip?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:02 pm

mattsteg wrote:
GeForce6200 wrote:
He probably lives in the South. It's like that everytime we get snow in VA. It's frustrating. Everytime it snows here everyone acts like it's the first damn time they've ever seen the stuff. Traffic backs up, cars and trucks slide into ditches, and there's general pandamonium. It's ridiculous.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:12 pm

Vrock wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
GeForce6200 wrote:
He probably lives in the South. It's like that everytime we get snow in VA. It's frustrating. Everytime it snows here everyone acts like it's the first damn time they've ever seen the stuff. Traffic backs up, cars and trucks slide into ditches, and there's general pandamonium. It's ridiculous.
Doesn't matter whether it is the South. Up here in the so-called Great White North the first snowfall is going to be chaos.

Ok, may be Toronto cannot be counted as the GWN then? Manitobans and Albertans deal with this better?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:13 pm

The first good storm of the year here it gets pretty ugly. After that unless it is a total whiteout and you cant see past the end of your hood nobody really notices. I dont know if we are even going to get snow this year the way it is going so far :cry:

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:15 pm

I think it was back in 2000 I was living in Richmond, VA when we got 6" of snow. I couldn't get a pizza delivered 4 days later and schools were closed for a week. They really acted like it was the end of the world. :roll:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:27 pm

mattsteg wrote:
GeForce6200 wrote:

sounds like he's talking about a late-opening school day to me.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:33 pm

JJCDAD wrote:
I think it was back in 2000 I was living in Richmond, VA when we got 6" of snow. I couldn't get a pizza delivered 4 days later and schools were closed for a week. They really acted like it was the end of the world. :roll:

:lol: I have seen six inches of snow the end of may from a freak storm. Everybody was like WTF and went on with life. I guess it all depends on where you live but I have never seen the roads closed from a snow storm. If we get snow and a lot of wind with it I have seen them closed for a week though. When I was in third grade back in 84 or so we were snowed in for a week. The snow on the road by dads house was 8 feet deep though :o Huge ass snow drifts FTW When it finally came time to plow the roads out the road grader got stuck in the drift by the house and had to come in and call for help :lol:

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:34 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Vrock wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
GeForce6200 wrote:
Doesn't matter whether it is the South. Up here in the so-called Great White North the first snowfall is going to be chaos.

Ok, may be Toronto cannot be counted as the GWN then? Manitobans and Albertans deal with this better?
It's only 3 inches. Unless you're completely unused to it or have a long trip and/or really bad traffic 2 hours is a lot to gain (unless it's super wet snow or ice or something, but that's another matter completely).

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:37 pm

No, we get snow moderalty in ohio. Usually. I was just mad b/c the roads were slick and all the schools around me were canceled. I wanted to stay home and sleep, or play videogames. I take the bus, not old enough for drivers license. :(
Last edited by GeForce6200 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:38 pm

mattsteg wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Vrock wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
GeForce6200 wrote:

It's only 3 inches. Unless you're completely unused to it or have a long trip and/or really bad traffic 2 hours is a lot to gain (unless it's super wet snow or ice or something, but that's another matter completely).
Dude the DC area is a freaking mess today due to 3 inches or less of snow. It's been a lousy day to be in the trucking industry.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:19 pm

My work was open today, and we're a school.

Hell, Newark City Schools were closed!

What pisses me off, though? Newark DID NOT SALT THE ROADS, NOR DID THEY PLOW!

I hadn't gotten the snow tires on the rear of my Miata yet (long story - I had two snows, at least,) so I ended up having to do my best impression of Takumi Fujiwara just to get to work. :lol:

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:18 pm

don't be mad at people who plow roads poorly or crap like that. They work really long shifts to get it done, and they're doing it while you're sound asleep.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:20 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
don't be mad at people who plow roads poorly or crap like that. They work really long shifts to get it done, and they're doing it while you're sound asleep.
Apparently they weren't :-P

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:22 pm

mattsteg wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:
don't be mad at people who plow roads poorly (or not at all) or crap like that. They work really long shifts to get it done, and they're doing it while you're sound asleep.
Apparently they weren't :-P

I nearly said that. nearly. I got all of my work done this morning.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:32 pm

Exactly, NO ROADS IN THE CITY OF NEWARK, OH WERE PLOWED OR SALTED.

This was at 8 AM.

So, they WEREN'T working. ;)

DrDillyBar
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:03 pm

It's about -20C right now according to my Temp. thingy hanging outside my house. But I'm lucky, there has been very little snow fall here so far. There's less then an inch outside right now for me to shovel ... eventually. But I lived in Africa when I was a kid, so I hate winter. Very un-Canadian of me. :wink:
i7-4790k | Z87-A | 16GB RAM | Radeon RX460 | SSD; 2TB and 2TB | Dell 20"w | Win10

Milamber
Gerbil

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:26 am

Well we got 50cm (20 inches for the rest of the world :)) of snow where I am, and I'm glad because the past 2 years we barely got any snow. About time we get a white christmas! Still have my summer tires on the car though, not good.
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
-Scott Adams

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:10 am

Montreal got 40cm Monday, high winds too.. kids loved it, Dad not so much .
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:16 am

SpotTheCat wrote:
And they're getting paid for it on the taxpayer's dime, so it seems fair enough to ask them to do the job right.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:26 am

Vrock wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:
And they're getting paid for it on the taxpayer's dime, so it seems fair enough to ask them to do the job right.
Around here, they don't do it perfect, but they do do it right.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:05 am

We got 9.5" yesterday and they're calling for more today and this weekend. :x

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:08 am

redeye wrote:
We got 9.5" yesterday and they're calling for more today and this weekend. :x
You blamin' the constipated Asian lemon sucker? I realize he hails from west of the US and that our weather comes from that direction, but it's not his fault.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:23 am

It was 1 F when I drove into work this morning. Brr!

My lifters were clattering away for much of my drive in, and I'm even running a 0W30 synthetic! (Mazda recommends a 5W30 in winter specifically because of excessive lifter clatter when running 10W30.)

At least I swapped out my rears for the snows. MUCH better handling on something that STILL wasn't plowed or salted (although salt's ineffective at those temps...)

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:56 am

Vrock wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
Dude the DC area is a freaking mess today due to 3 inches or less of snow. It's been a lousy day to be in the trucking industry.
Part of the problem with the DC area and Virginia in general is that we're in a go/no-go zone for winter. We don't get really cold like the midwest states and certainly not like the Canadians. As a result, we don't get dry powder snow that is good for skiing or easily brushes off your car. We get slush & ice. When the temperature hits highs of 25 or so, the crap on the roads is quite a challenge.

Additionally, we don't get all that much of the stuff. When you get 2-3 snowfalls a year, nobody gets enough practice at driving in snow to improve their skills.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:39 am

Snow's still coming down here (about 45 mins north of Columbus, OH) and the streets look... well, not great. It snowed on Wed and my wife worked from home (VPN FTW), I had the day off. Yesterday I sprained my wrist from a fall on the ice when walking our new dog, so I took the day off yesterday.

More snow today, wife's at home again, dog needs to be walked sometime soon-ish and I close tonight, so hopefully the roads will get better before I have to head out.

I love winter weather, but this wrist injury has me a little more jaded towards it this year. Kinda sucks to be home when you're mentally alert, but can't play video games. :roll:

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:54 am

Bunch of weenies. j/k.

We has our foot on Monday, and I drove home in my Elantra when it was snowing about 2"/hour. It sucked. We have had another 2" or so since then, and looks like some more coming this weekend, and an ice storm potentially on Tuesday next week (oh-no!)

I cannot believe winter started so early this year, especially after last year was so damned late. Last year we started at Jan 15, this year, Nov 28. I am already sick of stoking the fire.

The think I hate the most is my driveway. It is 1/4 of gravel, and when I have to plow an early storm, all the gravel gets scooped up and tossed into the yard since the ground isn't frozen yet. Then I have to spend a few days in spring raking it all back in. Crappy job.

-LS

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:17 pm

It's been pretty cold here in Edmonton for the last two weeks, but we had a nice November overall (better than 2006 for sure), and the temperatures are supposed to hovering around freezing for all of next week. It will be a nice change again.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:18 pm

Wow its a white out here right now. I can just make out the neighbors house less than 100 yards away :o

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:12 pm

All the snow we got a couple of weeks ago is melting away up here now. Temps are supposed to go up to ~12 Celsius in the next 2 weeks. :o
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran