Personal computing discussed

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Winter weather

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:58 pm

This time last year i got stuck in my truck with a trainer that was mentally ill outside buffalo. He originally wanted to park directly beside erie with no supplies or amenities Luckily police shoo'd us away to a truck stop. Once at the truck stop he refused to leave the truck, and would send me in for his food or drink, and would get out and take a **** on the ground underneath the trailer.

Messed up thing is i know of a guy who's going through a similar thing in colorado where it's currently chains only and is probably about to shut down tuesday or so just west of denver. Mentally ill people are everywhere.

So far i've had a very care bear winter. I don't even think i've seen any snow yet. Spent too much time in texas where i was sweating.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:36 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I don't even think i've seen any snow yet. Spent too much time in texas where i was sweating.

Speaking of, it's forecast to be 80+ again several days this week. :lol: That's actually 15 degrees above the average for this time of year.

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:46 am

So Saturday afternoon I was playing Play-Doh with my son in the kitchen when I hear a strange noise. I push the blinds apart and see this:

Apparently the driver was going a bit too fast for the small layer of snow and ice that fell the night before and decided to come to a stop just in front of my house.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 10 x64

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:29 am

He was testing a new delivery service. He just might edge out ups with that one.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:39 am

Heiwashin wrote:
He was testing a new delivery service. He just might edge out ups with that one.

If it lands on your lawn do you get to keep it??
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:45 am

Looks like you're lucky to still have a deck.

Edit: And the vehicle looks to be in surprisingly good shape given what it's just been asked to do. :lol:
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:46 am

Consider yourself lucky. Our neighbor directly across the street from use had had their house hit by a car, truck and lastly a white ford econoline work van in around 20 years time. The last one I was in my screen house while the wife was in the pool while I was watching the Nascar Talladega race at least 7 years ago when I heard huge crash that launched me out of my lounge chair and down the side driveway to see a Van sticking out of the corner of the neighbors house.
I ran up to the van and found the airbags deployed and the inside of the van was filled with airbag smoke with a fatman slouched down between the seats bleeding a lot from his face. I tried to enter the van but the doors were locked so I sprinted to my garage and grabbed a crowbar and busted out both side windows with a poke from the point of the crowbar and proceeded to open the side and back doors to air out the nasty smoke. Then I checked on the poor chap bleeding which looked worse than it really was and his airway was working fine with no gurgling sounds etc. Luckily the wife called 911 and right after I checked on the man the ambulance EMT's arrived. They asked me if I had moved him which I didn't and they took over from there.

But really what are the chances a house gets hit by 3 vehicles in 20 years when they live on a strait street with no cross street close to them. I could see if their house was at the end of a street that end in the shape of a T but to be on a strait street with no street facing them is pretty crazy.

I have to note 2 were late at night with drunks and I never found out if the van driver was drunk or has a seizure or whatever caused him to cross opposing traffic and hit a house. To be honest I am in the suburbs so their is not much opposing traffic at all so he just crossed the opposing lane to hit the house. Also none were weather related.

This is also the only house I know that has ever been hit by a car. I have not seen or heard of any house being hit by anything with 4 wheels in my 45 years...but the one I do know has been hit 3 times..perhaps they have a huge electromagnet in the basement? I am clueless.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:49 am

A few years ago a friend of mine had a car drive through the front wall of his house into his living room. He was in the middle of a block too (no 'T' intersection or anything).
-- Steven Wilson

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:55 am

Pretty mild winter for us so far with a small amount of snow (no major dumps thankfully, need a few dry winters so the flood waters continue to recede on the farm).

Today is the coldest so far,-23c ( -9.4f ) otherwise it has been hovering just above or below freezing for the most part.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:42 am

Heh, that truck still looks drivable.

Definitely a mild start this year. Been in the 50-65F range for the high for a week now. Today it's "only" 37F.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:15 am

vargis14 wrote:
Consider yourself lucky. Our neighbor directly across the street from use had had their house hit by a car, truck and lastly a white ford econoline work van in around 20 years time.

Man if that happened to me once, let alone thrice, I'd be looking into installing some concrete filled schedule 80 pipe in my front yard. :lol:

Heiwashin wrote:

The FedEx guy showed up about 15 minutes after it happened and without skipping a beat said "oh you got a new truck for Christmas!".
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 10 x64

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:36 am

just brew it! wrote:
A few years ago a friend of mine had a car drive through the front wall of his house into his living room. He was in the middle of a block too (no 'T' intersection or anything).

Believe it or not none of the three vehicles made it into the house...they all hit either the right or left corners closest to street and caused minimal damage to the house and major damage to the cars. That freaking house is strong..it is a single floor house, i am not even sure if it has a basement.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:56 pm

It's 36° outside, and raining. Driveway is glazed over with ice. I wanted snow not rain.
Core i7-4790K @ 4.6 GHz | ASUS Z97-E/USB3.1 | 16GB DDR3-2133 MHz 9-10-10-29 @ 1.505mV | XFX Radeon RS RX 480 8GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (Boot) | Intel 520 & 535 120 GB in RAID 0 | Phantek Eclipse P400S | EVGA 850 BQ | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:59 pm

biffzinker wrote:
It's 36° outside, and raining. Driveway is glazed over with ice. I wanted snow not rain.

Yeah, 30s and rainy is some of the worst kind of weather. I'll take temperatures in the teens over that any day!
-- Steven Wilson

localhostrulez

Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Eh... 30's (Celsius) and muggy/humid/rain is worse. :lol: I'm in HK right now... Hanging right around 20C, high humidity. It's getting fairly nice right now, and it's late December... No way I'm coming here in the summer. :o

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:13 pm

So the weather finally catches up with me. I get out to start working on the trailer and it rains for maybe 2 minutes. That rain then freezes into a solid sheet of ice across the trailer. That unpleasantness doesn't include the fact that my load is frozen steel, my chains are frozen steel, and now my hands that were handling them are frozen steel. I think the fall and slow to worsen winter softened me up a little.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:24 pm

Oh bloody great. The day (tomorrow/Tuesday) we set off for NC for the annual NYE bash is the first day it's supposed to be crappy here in VT. Good thing it's a Subaru with brand-new Hakkapelliitas.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:02 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Oh bloody great. The day (tomorrow/Tuesday) we set off for NC for the annual NYE bash is the first day it's supposed to be crappy here in VT. Good thing it's a Subaru with brand-new Hakkapelliitas.

Hmm, i want to get some of those tires just so i can say, "hakkapelliitas"

*edit i've been thinking about buying some snow socks for my tires instead of chains and dumping the chains.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Hmm, i want to get some of those tires just so i can say, "hakkapelliitas"

Well then, hie thee off to Finland. They're made by Nokian Tyres. Those bloody morose Finns might know a thing or three about snow tires.

Recent C&D article ranked them 1st by a mile. Those of us who choose to live in New England have sworn by them for decades.

Despite what the C&D article may say about translation, here in New England it's always been understood as "spiked foot".

SoM
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:14 am

us here in Toronto got hit with the winter storm last night, it's still going hard and for the next two days we'll get freezing rain, oh joy
InWin 303|Asus z170a|G.Skill 2x16GB 2400|i7-6700k|H60|evga 1070 FTW|evga Supernova G2 750w|M.2 950 Pro 256GB|Audioengine A5+|Sennheiser HD 280 Pro|Win 10

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:12 am

Today's weather is high winds, rain, temperature is 46°, and what little snow was on the ground is gone.
Core i7-4790K @ 4.6 GHz | ASUS Z97-E/USB3.1 | 16GB DDR3-2133 MHz 9-10-10-29 @ 1.505mV | XFX Radeon RS RX 480 8GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (Boot) | Intel 520 & 535 120 GB in RAID 0 | Phantek Eclipse P400S | EVGA 850 BQ | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:47 pm

So I went for walk, and snapped these while I was out with my One Plus One. You definitely want to be wearing ice grippers on this ice.
Image Image Image

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:01 pm

Today was 84°F and muggy. Last night's low was 77°F. Normal temperatures for this date (for the three decades from 1981 through 2010) are a high of 75°F with a low of 58°F. The record high for this date (since daily records for this location started in 1888) is 85°F (1968). The record low is 34°F (2010).
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, 980Ti, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:18 am

Damn SuperSpy, glad to hear that it missed your house and deck.

vargis14 wrote:
But really what are the chances a house gets hit by 3 vehicles in 20 years when they live on a strait street with no cross street close to them. I could see if their house was at the end of a street that end in the shape of a T but to be on a strait street with no street facing them is pretty crazy.

Dunno about elsewhere, but in this city It's not uncommon to see holes in neighborhood fences because some idiot plowed a vehicle through it. Even on a straight street. But go find a curved one and it's a real problem.

I used to live in an apartment complex that was bordered by a cross-traffic single-lane residential street, that had a moderate curve in the middle. The lanes were big and there was even some shoulder with something like a 30mph speed limit, yet people were always speeding or losing control due to phones or whatever, jumping the curb and taking out fences. In the years I lived there I recall brick houses getting truck-sized holes in them more than several times because they'd jump the curb, take out a section of fence, and still hit various houses on both sides of the street all while magically missing posts designed to catch wandering vehicles. Bad weather was rarely a factor but it certainly increased the number of incidents. It was so bad the city planted posts (and constantly had to replace the odd one), and residents began using large rocks and serious fences better designed to stop vehicles instead of the wooden privacy fences. Nobody on that street ever had to replace a fence because it got too old I think. :lol:

localhostrulez

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:23 pm

Goddammit. I got back to my college apartment after 3 weeks away, and my car battery is dead. The bluetooth adapter I added fires right up (obviously not very picky about the input voltage) and the brake light shows when I turn it to on, but that's it. Lights dead, keyless doesn't respond. Haven't even bothered to try cranking it. And I didn't have any lights on, only an OBDII adapter (which others said they left in for weeks without driving, without draining it). Though it has gotten below freezing quite a bit as of late. (I'd hate to have that kill the battery permanently, since it's only a few months old.) Welp, time to call AAA and get it jumped tomorrow...

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Denver metro just had a week of weather that was below freezing for nearly five straight days, with overnight lows hitting 0F plus or minus a few. Fortunately, I was nowhere near it (although Portland was unseasonably cold, too...)
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

localhostrulez

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:56 pm

ludi wrote:
(although Portland was unseasonably cold, too...)

I'm in Corvallis, ~1.5 hours south of there, so.... that sounds about right. Some crunchy grass and patches of black ice around my apartment too. Reminds me of the night (a few weeks ago) that I took a bike ride around town, and my room-temp water bottle actually cooled down significantly during the ride. Who needs a fridge when the air coming through the window is cooler? :wink:

Curse you meteorology weather gods Honda something... I swear, I roll my eyes when people complain about winters in the bay area. I'm guessing dead car batteries and the like are just an occasional fact of life in these colder climates? :cry: (Note to self: Buy a battery maintainer, try to get a good parking spot near my apartment, and hope no one minds the extension cord running out to it. No parking garage here.)

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:13 am

localhostrulez wrote:
I'm guessing dead car batteries and the like are just an occasional fact of life in these colder climates? :cry:
Hot weather is what kills batteries, cold weather is when you find out just how dead it is.

Got back yesterday from 2 weeks away. Driveway was a foot deep in snow with an 18 inch plow poop wall at the end. Weather was right around the freezing mark so it was thick and heavy. Managed to get it cleared out with the snowblower, I made sure to use plenty of WD40 on it before and after to try and stop it clogging or freezing. It was really too warm for the snowblower's engine, if I left it idling while breaking up the icy plow poop then it would foul the plug and die. It really runs best in -5C to -25C.

localhostrulez

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:03 pm

I woke up to this: http://imgur.com/eXaE8M8 -2°C. Yeah, that's not doing the battery any favors.

Summers in the east bay area do get up towards 40°C a fair bit of the time, but most cars (save for possibly some fade on the upholstery) seem to handle it fine. I.e. They start faster, if anything. But it's a dry heat, so it doesn't bother me much - could still be bothering the car in other ways.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:35 pm

Wimp. Tonight is going to be the first cold one. Tomorrow morning is going to be -19C with a wind chill making it feel like -30C. There are others on this board who live in colder places than I do.