Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Re: Winter weather

Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:43 am

From -4 C actual to -15 C in one day up here in Ontario. It's cold.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:35 pm

57f in tn :wink:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:05 pm

It’s 80 F (27 C) and partly cloudy with a gentle breeze in South Florida.
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:22 pm

Nothing like a blizzard warning on Monday and tornado warning on Saturday of the same week. Temperature dropped significantly, lots of tornado damage in southern Tazewell and into Mason counties, and also some north in Beardstown. It’s not even officially winter yet.

Also the Apple weather app is the worst. How the hell should I be able to read this?

https://twitter.com/tvsben/status/10690 ... 71552?s=21
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:31 pm

You have a 40% chance of being struck by lightning? Dude, stay inside.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:31 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Nothing like a blizzard warning on Monday and tornado warning on Saturday of the same week. Temperature dropped significantly, lots of tornado damage in southern Tazewell and into Mason counties, and also some north in Beardstown. It’s not even officially winter yet.

Also the Apple weather app is the worst. How the hell should I be able to read this?

https://twitter.com/tvsben/status/10690 ... 71552?s=21

Sounds like Kansas. And yeah, that app design is poop.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:46 pm

Also I accidentally left the windows on the van down around 2” each. My pants got soaked when I got in.

Some flooding here in town but the cops have done a good job blocking it off where necessary.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:11 am

We had a very cold November with many days in the freezing range here in the DC area. Even got some significant (for the area) snow. Now that December is here it’s raining a lot and it’s going to be 60* F tomorrow. It might be an exciting year...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:40 pm

First winter here in Virginia and we are getting some nice winter weather. We've got a good 5-6 inches or so right now and based on the radar, another 4 or so to come. That being said, it's my first time living in a state where heavy snowfall is relatively uncommon. I've seen a lot of folks exercise poor judgement with their vehicles today.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:35 pm

I opened this thread over 11 years ago! happy winter everybody!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:49 pm

My experience varies wildly since I'm always traveling. My first year on the road I spent 7 days parked outside Buffalo NY because of the massive lake effect snow. This year I haven't actually been involved in snow, but I've been driving in the -5f to 25f aftermath for weeks and it's exhausting. I haven't remastered walking like a penguin yet but I'm working on it. Truck stops ignore the quarter mile walk of the truck packed ice in the parking lot entirely, and salt the 5 feet in front of the door.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
My experience varies wildly since I'm always traveling. My first year on the road I spent 7 days parked outside Buffalo NY because of the massive lake effect snow. This year I haven't actually been involved in snow, but I've been driving in the -5f to 25f aftermath for weeks and it's exhausting. I haven't remastered walking like a penguin yet but I'm working on it. Truck stops ignore the quarter mile walk of the truck packed ice in the parking lot entirely, and salt the 5 feet in front of the door.

That's something that I've always wondered. What do y'all do about winter driving/the constant driving through salted highways in the winter? Frequent undercarriage washes? Special protective coating? Submit to the rust monsters after 10 years of driving?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:18 am

SecretMaster wrote:
That's something that I've always wondered. What do y'all do about winter driving/the constant driving through salted highways in the winter? Frequent undercarriage washes? Special protective coating? Submit to the rust monsters after 10 years of driving?

Thankfully on the Colorado front range, outside of the mountains, the snow doesn't stick around and most of the road treatment is done with gentler mag-chlor rather than rock salt. Also, it warms up enough in the winter (mid-40s, even low-50s) that carwashes are feasible in between major storms.

What I've heard from friends in the upper midwest, where it snows heavily and stays cold for weeks unending, is that you garage your classics for the winter and accept the fact that your dailies will be deteriorating rapidly somewhere after the 8-10 year mark.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:20 am

ludi wrote:
What I've heard from friends in the upper midwest, where it snows heavily and stays cold for weeks unending, is that you garage your classics for the winter and accept the fact that your dailies will be deteriorating rapidly somewhere after the 8-10 year mark.
I think there are ways to mitigate (or even avoid) that kind of rust, but yeah, incredibly common for cars living in that environment. Tangentially related, but I met a guy who was buying cars locally (Southern AZ), driving them to Chicagoland and selling them for a decent profit.

That could still work if you want to buy for yourself and are willing to travel for your new car. Even a couple thousand miles would be nothing compared to 5 years of rust.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 am

SecretMaster wrote:

I've never been to a truck wash with an undercarriage wash although the company installed one a few months ago at the main terminal. Most if the big companies seem to have settled on a process of using trucks for 4 or 5 years then replacing them anyway. That's about 500k miles for a solo driver and around then it starts becoming too expensive to maintain.
When drunk.....

cphite
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:01 am

SecretMaster wrote:
First winter here in Virginia and we are getting some nice winter weather. We've got a good 5-6 inches or so right now and based on the radar, another 4 or so to come. That being said, it's my first time living in a state where heavy snowfall is relatively uncommon. I've seen a lot of folks exercise poor judgement with their vehicles today.

Uh, yeah... that isn't going to change, unfortunately.

Been living in VA for about ten years now. Each year we've had at least some snow - some years quite a bit of snow - and each time everyone including the folks responsible for dealing with it act like it's the first time they've ever seen or even heard of snow.

The worst are the folks who believe that all-wheel drive equates to magical powers - SUV drivers finding themselves upside-down because they think that here's their chance to drive even faster and more aggressively than usual. People in general seem unable to grasp the concept of starting and stopping slowly when it's slippery.

Sometimes the roads will be treated at the first hint that snow might be coming; other times they won't even send trucks out until after there is already an inch on the roads. Sometimes we'll get a light dusting and everything shuts down like it's the end of the world; other times we'll get a foot and everything will stay open. No rhyme or reason.

I grew up in Pennsylvania, and lived in Cleveland for almost a decade - in those places you could experience actual blizzard conditions and *still* get around better and more safely than we do here in Virginia when we maybe an inch. I wish that was an exaggeration.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm

cphite wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:

Uh, yeah... that isn't going to change, unfortunately.

Been living in VA for about ten years now. Each year we've had at least some snow - some years quite a bit of snow - and each time everyone including the folks responsible for dealing with it act like it's the first time they've ever seen or even heard of snow.

The worst are the folks who believe that all-wheel drive equates to magical powers - SUV drivers finding themselves upside-down because they think that here's their chance to drive even faster and more aggressively than usual. People in general seem unable to grasp the concept of starting and stopping slowly when it's slippery.

Sometimes the roads will be treated at the first hint that snow might be coming; other times they won't even send trucks out until after there is already an inch on the roads. Sometimes we'll get a light dusting and everything shuts down like it's the end of the world; other times we'll get a foot and everything will stay open. No rhyme or reason.

I grew up in Pennsylvania, and lived in Cleveland for almost a decade - in those places you could experience actual blizzard conditions and *still* get around better and more safely than we do here in Virginia when we maybe an inch. I wish that was an exaggeration.

I live in West michigan right where there is a lake effect snow belt.
Bwahaha!!!

You can go from sunny skies to white out in 10 minutes or just two miles on the freeway.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:38 pm

I totaled a vehicle about 4 years ago. Hit a stretch of black ice on what appeared to be clean, dry pavement. Zero ability to steer or brake + obstacle ahead = you are about to have a very bad day...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:42 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I totaled a vehicle about 4 years ago. Hit a stretch of black ice on what appeared to be clean, dry pavement. Zero ability to steer or brake + obstacle ahead = you are about to have a very bad day...

Yeah, it's usually a bad day when Sir Issac demands the wheel.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Shobai
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Perhaps there are two camps in that respect - the "Jesus, take the wheel!" mob and the "shove off, Sir Isaac, I'll have that wheel back right now (you old coot!)" group.

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:09 pm

That's my most frustrating road experience: trying to not die while getting stuck between the "OH GOD A SNOWFLAKE *15 mph*"-crowd and the ones blissfully whistling along to the radio while driving 80 like it's July.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm

There was a snow event earlier this Nov that caught NJ and some of PA unprepared. Here's a clip of it from my drive home from work:

Was a minor snowfall but the weather forecasters including NOAA misinformed the area. They said it would not accumulate much and was supposed to turn over to rain. So no townships or cities in the area applied rock salt or did any plowing. It was a major cluster-f*** for the greater Philly area because schools and business did an early release from work right in the middle of it. I was 4x4'ing all the way but as you can see when a passed the guy helping the car even small inclines were causing rear wheel cars to slip'n'slide.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:59 pm

pfffff

Had -25C almost a month ago now. Ice fishers told me there is 14 inches on the lake 3 days ago.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I've never been to a truck wash with an undercarriage wash although the company installed one a few months ago at the main terminal. Most if the big companies seem to have settled on a process of using trucks for 4 or 5 years then replacing them anyway. That's about 500k miles for a solo driver and around then it starts becoming too expensive to maintain.

4-5 years :o !? I guess that makes sense when I think about it - I just never really thought about the turnover time for freight trucks.

cphite wrote:

Yeah that mirrors my experience on Sunday. I drive a Honda Civic, and several times passed a SUV/truck that got stuck in the snow. I witnessed a Jeep floor it out of a parking lot and slide into the oncoming lane; luckily there was no traffic or it would have been a lot uglier.

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:49 pm

Pretty sure I already ranted about it somewhere in this thread, but I have no idea how modern Jeeps can be considered safe in slick conditions. If someone wanted to design a PCM to apply more force to the tires than the driver intended in a variety of situations without making it so obvious that average drivers would complain about it, they'd have a tough time doing it better than Chrysler has. You'd think their target market would care about that (for control off-road), but no, feeling punchy in a test drive is more important. :roll:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:58 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
Pretty sure I already ranted about it somewhere in this thread, but I have no idea how modern Jeeps can be considered safe in slick conditions. If someone wanted to design a PCM to apply more force to the tires than the driver intended in a variety of situations without making it so obvious that average drivers would complain about it, they'd have a tough time doing it better than Chrysler has. You'd think their target market would care about that (for control off-road), but no, feeling punchy in a test drive is more important. :roll:

Interesting... I wonder how long this has been a Chrysler "thing"? Our early '00s Chrysler minivan has always been eager to spin the front tires if you're not gentle with the accelerator.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

farmpuma
Silver subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:00 am

I grew up in this dog forsaken corner of north east Indiana driving my two door sedan 57 Chevy with five dollar used tires, they had a little bit of tread left and I only put it the ditch one time. I was heading home from an evening of car skating and doing spirals in the grocery store parking lot with a couple of my car buddies. The snow was eight to ten inches deep and things were going just fine until I misjudged the crown of the road as I made the intersection turn heading up a small incline. When I stopped making forward progress and started drifting to the right I stopped and thought about it. Foolishly I decided to let it drift to the shoulder and make it up the incline on the shoulder. When the right rear tire drifted to the shoulder it just kept on drifting into the ditch and I was truly stuck. In 20/20 hindsight if I had backed up and adjusted to straddle the crown of the road I would have made it home with no problem.

I was only about a mile from home and I decided to take a hike in the snow. Being a hot blooded cool teenager with a functional car heater I had left the house in a flannel shirt, jeans, and loafers with no socks. After a quarter of a mile I reached the neighbor's 200 yard lane and decided not to risk sever frostbite. I woke them up and borrowed a winter coat and boots. I took the shortcut along the creek but was still extremely cold when I arrived home. A couple of lessons painfully learned.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .Good gun control is hitting your target and only your target.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:41 am

That story illustrates just one of several good reasons to keep a blanket in the trunk.
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:06 pm

I have a full duffel of "just-in-case" stuff in the car which includes full changes of clothes for the entire family (shoes included), towels, blankets, etc. If I lived up North, I'd make it 5x bigger during the winter. That's part of why having a minivan is so convenient.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:07 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
That story illustrates just one of several good reasons to keep a blanket in the trunk.

...and an old, loose-fit pullover top, and a pair of lined gloves, and a bright orange hunter's hat. These are also useful for changing a tire in poor conditions, without ruining whatever nicer outerwear you brought with you.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration