Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Re: Winter weather

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:37 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Careful this week everyone.

I can’t see this pic, but judging from comments other people do. Why could this be?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:38 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Looking at the image DancinJack posted I was wondering the same thing, but a lot of people say that about CA with the earthquakes. Seems like everywhere has something like that.

Arkansas would disagree :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:44 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
I can’t see this pic, but judging from comments other people do. Why could this be?

Twitter image domain is blocked, maybe?
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:47 am

There's a stat going around here that it is supposed to be 100* colder in Minneapolis than Orlando tonight once you account for wind chill. That's cold yo.

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:59 am

Yeah, I'm trying to think of a good reason to stay in MN rather than move south. Right now I'm not coming up with much because my brain is frozen from all the cold. Sadly it's only going to get worse. The "high" was at midnight. It's all down hill from here.

The roads look dangerous, too. Thankfully I'm at home this week or I'd be scared to drive in. 3 accidents on my normal route by 6:30 O_O

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:18 am

How many power lines are subterranean? That is what would freak me out. Although I guess if everyone has gas/oil heat that's less of a life-and-death issue.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:40 am

Until it snows again, I wont be getting any videos of plowing... I am just thankful that core cold isn't getting us directly, though we could certainly use some -15F or lower to put a dent in the emerald ash bore and tick problems.

Meanwhile Trump is trying to claim a few days of record cold is "climate". My eyes hurt from rolling them too far.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:51 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Although I guess if everyone has gas/oil heat that's less of a life-and-death issue.

Um, gas/oil furnaces still need power to run, which means generator time.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

The Egg

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:31 am

My place has floor radiant heat via a boiler. It's very clean and reliable, though it tends to make the carpet excessively dry, causing quite a bit of static electricity. I have to remember to constantly discharge if I'm working on PC stuff. I imagine there's some sort of circulation pump which requires electricity, but I know from accidentally turning the temp a couple degrees too high.....it takes a looooong time for that water to lose its energy.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:36 am

The city has officially canceled garbage collection for Wednesday. Since my pickup day is Thursday, it'll get shifted to Friday now. Waiting for USPS to cancel next. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:25 am

Well west michigan was fun yesterday!

I got drifts up to thigh height.

I stayed home yesterday and just made it into work today. I had to snow blow the cars out before my Bro-in-law could come over and plow with the tractor.
Kids have a nice tall snow hill now.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:40 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The city has officially canceled garbage collection for Wednesday. Since my pickup day is Thursday, it'll get shifted to Friday now. Waiting for USPS to cancel next. :lol:

Same. FedEx was out and about yesterday though. The poor delivery guy got drive down my unplowed cul-de-sac to hall my warfaire furniture order through 3 foot drifts to my front door. All thanks to his bosses being a-holes, I got to sit there feeling like the worlds largest dick all day. But hey, at least he didn't risk his life for nothing. I now have a beautiful oriental screened room divider for my Jacuzzi room. :roll:
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

LostCat

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:45 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
We are seeing a low if -20F or lower next week on Wednesday in MN. Forecast on the radio said as low as -68F wind chill. Brrrrr!

I do not know why we haven't been called off for Wendesday o.o Should be hellishly fun.
Meow.

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:59 am

FireGryphon wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Careful this week everyone.

It's hotlinked from Twitter's CDN, here's an Imgur rehost: https://i.imgur.com/C6ilkfa.jpg
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:03 pm

Latest forecast is for a daytime high of -15 tomorrow.

Metra has announced that they are running a modified (cut down) schedule.

Official word from on high (VP level) is that my employer "strongly recommends" working from home tomorrow.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 pm

It was actually really nice yesterday night in Michigan for a few hours: 33F, no wind, and no precipitation after getting 6-7 inches of snow dumped on us. I went out and moved a couple pickup loads of firewood while the little one got some much needed playtime outside with the dog who was practically crapping rainbows with excitement.

Then it started raining, blowing and dropped down to 3F around midnight. :roll:
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:18 pm

We're getting the arctic blast tomorrow going into Thurs morning on the NE Atlantic side. Not the bone-cracking cold like the midwest with only a few inches of snow but probably sub-zero wind chill when the high winds go through. I had a copper water line burst last winter and I need to figure out how to prevent that again since it was a pain in the arse to repair in the crawlspace. I have copper wire space heaters in my basement so I'll turn those up and hope it helps.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:34 pm

G8torbyte wrote:
I had a copper water line burst last winter and I need to figure out how to prevent that again since it was a pain in the arse to repair in the crawlspace. I have copper wire space heaters in my basement so I'll turn those up and hope it helps.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/30-ft-Autom ... /100196471
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:41 pm

G8torbyte wrote:
I have copper wire space heaters

You have what?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:44 pm

On the radio this morning they called for a wind chill value of about -50 F in Wisconsin and northern Illinois. I'd be willing to bet that's as cold or a bit colder than my grandfather experienced on his B-24, and most people won't have an electrically-heated suit.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:08 pm

ludi wrote:
G8torbyte wrote:
I have copper wire space heaters

You have what?

Sorry, to clarify these are like the wall baseboard heaters that are hard-wired, using a thick heating element wire running down the length of each unit and have an adjustable dial. Each are mounted inside the walls of my basement so not sure if they'll be able to keep water lines on other sides of the wall warm enough.

Captain Ned wrote:
G8torbyte wrote:
I had a copper water line burst last winter and I need to figure out how to prevent that again since it was a pain in the arse to repair in the crawlspace. I have copper wire space heaters in my basement so I'll turn those up and hope it helps.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/30-ft-Autom ... /100196471

Thanks Capt! I do have an outlet in that crawlspace so that could work.
Later, -G8tor

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:44 pm

bthylafh wrote:
On the radio this morning they called for a wind chill value of about -50 F in Wisconsin and northern Illinois. I'd be willing to bet that's as cold or a bit colder than my grandfather experienced on his B-24, and most people won't have an electrically-heated suit.

I'm former Air Force Aeromedical Science. Much respect for your grandfather's service!
Later, -G8tor

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:01 am

-20F here right now. Furnace is barely keeping up. Might need to fire up the F@H client or some fractal renders on a couple of systems to heat my office!

Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:32 am

Metro Detroit, MI here.

-8, wind chills below -25°F all day.

Some local malls closed...............yes, the weather has defeated capitalism. :)

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:39 am

I'd try to one up you all and say -50F wind chill and -27F air temp but it could be worse. Canada gets this kind of weather far more often. Trying to be positive here in MN!

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:48 am

I was kind of joking when I said I was waiting for the Post Office to close, but...

http://about.usps.com/newsroom/service- ... 2MiE27nqso

Was -18 air temp when I got up this morning. This kind of weather makes me glad to be a telecommuter.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:16 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Was -18 air temp when I got up this morning. This kind of weather makes me glad to be a telecommuter.

Same. Wednesdays are normally a day where we're supposed to be in the office (the official telecommute days are Tuesday and Thursday), but they're making an exception for today. I expect to be back in the office on Friday.

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:03 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I was kind of joking when I said I was waiting for the Post Office to close, but...

How the hell is MN not on that list?

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:07 am

Yeah these deep winter freezes are exactly the reason why I'm glad to no longer be living in WI. Then again, there's definitely a subculture of folks in WI/MN who live, and even thrive, for this kind of weather. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTuGJgka1qc

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

How the hell is MN not on that list?

Looks like the list of "Northland" zip codes include some which are in MN.