Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Winter weather

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:23 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I was kind of joking when I said I was waiting for the Post Office to close, but...

http://about.usps.com/newsroom/service- ... 2MiE27nqso

Was -18 air temp when I got up this morning. This kind of weather makes me glad to be a telecommuter.

How the hell is MN not on that list?

Based in my experience the people of mn are closest to being Canadian, and the Canadians are still laughing at our panic over a relatively normal cold, so there's that.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:00 pm

https://www.cnn.com/videos/weather/2019 ... e-orig.cnn

The station shown at the 0:03 mark is my stop.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Xolore
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:15 pm

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
I'd try to one up you all and say -50F wind chill and -27F air temp but it could be worse. Canada gets this kind of weather far more often. Trying to be positive here in MN!

I'm just imagining it as Canada having a little "cultural" exchange with us. Maybe we should send them some hotdish or something?

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/weather/2019/01/30/chicago-train-tracks-fire-newsource-orig.cnn

The station shown at the 0:03 mark is my stop.

Gotta expand the metal in the frogs and switches to prevent derailments.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Well now, this really is a winter blast!

Good grief sure it's -8f out there but that WIND!!!
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:20 pm

Aranarth wrote:
Well now, this really is a winter blast!

Good grief sure it's -8f out there but that WIND!!!

Yeah, I've got a big comforter wedged between my desk and the wall. I knew it was drafty, but not like this. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:02 pm

I hate the northwest corner of my house.

Yeah, that's frost, no my insulation doesn't suck as bad as it looks. Indoor humidity is about 35%, might have to bring the dehumidifier up from the basement to try and knock it down a bit more. Ugh.
TR BBQ XV is over.

techguy
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:04 pm

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I was kind of joking when I said I was waiting for the Post Office to close, but...

http://about.usps.com/newsroom/service- ... 2MiE27nqso

Was -18 air temp when I got up this morning. This kind of weather makes me glad to be a telecommuter.

Because Scandihoovian pride.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:07 pm

@drfish - I wonder if aiming a fan up into that corner would warm it up enough to prevent the condensation, or just cause more condensation to form due to the increased airflow?

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:26 pm

That's the experiment I'm running right now, essentially. :) My aim is to raise the temperature of the wall, even if it also increases the air temperature. I believe it's making progress, but only in a very localized area. Some areas that were damp before are dry, but the frozen area is only a couple degrees warmer so far.

This is crazy, I've see the condensation problem a couple times during the winter over the years, but it's been very rare since we redid the insulation in the attic. This is exceptional weather, though. The ice is new, and very surprising.
TR BBQ XV is over.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:
@drfish - I wonder if aiming a fan up into that corner would warm it up enough to prevent the condensation, or just cause more condensation to form due to the increased airflow?

Use an IR lamp pointed up there, like the ones for the bathroom to dry it out and stop more from occurring. Otherwise get some closed-cell foam insulation and put it up. The real problem you will have is when the ice melts, gets the drywall wet, and then you get mold. People get all wound up over mold these days, like it is toxic or something. Otherwise adjust the furnace's humidity lower so the dew-point works out less than the measured 22F.

We keep our house humidity very low, especially in this weather. Something like 5, 6%. Not by choice though, this is a wood-burning stove plus plenty of "natural ventilation". Our dew-point usually isn't much more than the outdoor temperature at the most. This prevents disease transport, but results in bloody noses and generally chilled feeling no matter the temperature. Older houses are "fun".

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:15 pm

drfish wrote:
That's the experiment I'm running right now, essentially. :) My aim is to raise the temperature of the wall, even if it also increases the air temperature. I believe it's making progress, but only in a very localized area. Some areas that were damp before are dry, but the frozen area is only a couple degrees warmer so far.

How about a $40 oil-filled convection heater? Put it in that corner and let it run on the lowest setting that keeps the drywall above the dewpoint.

Corners of a house are the most difficult to insulate although I do wonder if you have an air leak under the soffits (or gables, whichever) on that corner.

liquidsquid wrote:
People get all wound up over mold these days, like it is toxic or something.

Uh...it is, or can be. Black mold is nasty stuff. An undisturbed colony usually just causes mild respiratory irritation to sensitive people in the structure, but some time ago a friend's grandmother was doing renovations on a panelized shower, pulled down a damaged panel and got a faceful of mold that did very bad things to both her eyes and lungs. I think she mostly recovered but it took a few years.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:45 pm

-14F here now.

Word from on high is to work from home again tomorrow. Thursday is normally an optional work-from-home day for most of us anyway, but this week it has been bumped from "optional" to "strongly recommended".

I actually had a reasonably productive (probably above average!) day today, in spite of the disruption caused by a brief power outage in the AM.

The Egg

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:20 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Gotta expand the metal in the frogs and switches to prevent derailments.

Mildly disconcerting. I live about 200’ from the tracks, in a location where there are several frogs and switch tracks. They’re constantly doing maintenance on them. The switches have some sort of natural gas heating system supplied by a small outbuilding, but I don’t believe the frogs have anything.

Didn’t bother going outside today to see if they were doing the fire treatment.

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:35 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
DragonDaddyBear wrote:

Based in my experience the people of mn are closest to being Canadian, and the Canadians are still laughing at our panic over a relatively normal cold, so there's that.

Pretty much; the wind is unusual but -20F temperature is just something that happens a few times a year. A number of businesses did close for at least part of the day though. No doubt about it, this state is going soft.

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:48 pm

Whoa.
Just got back from a business trip in South San-Fran & Silicon Valley area [You know, visiting the mothership] and it went from short-sleeve temperatures to well below zero at the airport when I got back.

My car started after having sat through 2 days of this crap!

While I was gone I got a photo of frost on a window at home... on the inside that is.

Through the worst of it, and by this weekend it will be getting close to 60... w00t Midwest Weather!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

The Egg

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 pm

In one of my storage areas, there’s an old-school intermatic mechanical hard-wired timer for the front porch light. It’s on an outside wall, and the thing just randomly started chugging like a steam locomotive. Loud. Took me a while to figure out where it was coming from. I strung a little space heater to blow in there, but as of right now it’s still chugging.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:05 am

Found out about this in the middle of the night. Just terrific timing, but I'm glad it's not worse.

We sorted out our indoor frost issue with a combination of space heater and eventually bringing up the dehumidifier. The wind has changed a bit too. Now, that corner of the house is the warmest but at least all signs of the condensation/frost they were forming on other parts of the west wall are gone.
TR BBQ XV is over.

arunphilip
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:18 am

For those of you in the midst of - and braving - the Polar Vortex, how about throwing a bone to someone in the tropics with a few pictures of your backyard/lawn?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:23 am

This wasn't good for trucking. It was so bad the fuel trucks were unable to run in most of Iowa at least. Luckily I've been warm in Texas and Arkansas the whole time but heading that way. Also, it it got much colder gas vehicles were going to be at risk too. Gasoline starts freezing around-40f.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:13 am

arunphilip wrote:
For those of you in the midst of - and braving - the Polar Vortex, how about throwing a bone to someone in the tropics with a few pictures of your backyard/lawn?

Here's looking toward Boston:

arunphilip
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:40 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Here's looking toward Boston:

Thank you! Stay safe, and stay warm.
The picture gives an impression of postcard-like weather, the thermometer, probably not so much!

Anovoca wrote:
You want a visual of how cold it is, when I opened my garage this morning, the sudden wave of cold caused all the air in the garage to rapidly condense, and a mini vortex of fog formed at the edge of the garage trying to work its way into the house.

Whoa!
Last edited by arunphilip on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:59 am

arunphilip wrote:

You want a visual of how cold it is, when I opened my garage this morning, the sudden wave of cold caused all the air in the garage to rapidly condense, and a mini vortex of fog formed at the edge of the garage trying to work its way into the house.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

LostCat

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:28 am

I just thought it was funny when I drove out of my garage and saw the dogs breath suddenly freeze up. Heh.

Fortunately the crazy stuff is over, for now. But, improving ~80 degrees within a few days seems a bit odd! (Then it goes back to normal winter weather again.)
Meow.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:25 pm

arunphilip wrote:

Here's a quick video of some insane seagulls braving the storm.

And some pics...

Work on Tuesday

East window at home yesterday

North window at home on yesterday

The sun coming out this morning

Same view as second picture but from this morning.

Back deck (west) from this morning.
TR BBQ XV is over.

liquidsquid

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:54 pm

That's a pretty good chunk of snow. We have very little left after a quick high-dewpoint thaw last week. What we do have is all in drifts.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:57 pm

out the front door #1

out the front door #2

out the back door #1

out the back door #2

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:59 pm

The last pic (of mine), with the table covered in snow is my personal metric for overall depth. It's not a drift, nothing is holding snow there, and it doesn't just fall off like the snow that lands on the deck railings. So, we're talking somewhere around 2' IMO. Like you said, a good chunk, but not crazy. It's been the temps and the wind that are exceptional - and that's with the lake protecting us from the worst of it (even though it caused the snow).
TR BBQ XV is over.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:03 pm

By the "snow on the patio table" metric we got plenty of snow too, in spite of being upwind of the lake. Guesstimating only about 1/2 to 2/3 as much as you, but still a quite respectable amount!

arunphilip
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:04 pm

Those pictures are mind-boggling. That said, the difference between drfish's second and fifth pictures is reassuring, and hopefully a sign that this snap is coming to an end.