Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Winter weather

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:32 pm

For those you wondering how farm animals are handling the cold.
So far for animals and the clipper: (We have had temps at low as -32F the past week.)

Chickens say it is too damn cold to be outside, they are staying in the coop. The bantams are all cuddled together while the larger arcanas and wyandottes are just wandering around.
Cats say the same and are staying in side the house with us.

Dogs (spinger spaniels) are fine with it, being the balls of fur they are. As long as we are outside they want to be out there. Playing and rolling in the snow.

Bunnies don't really care about cold as long as they have food to eat. The californians and minilops seem to be enjoying it, they love it cold. Minirex's are acting a bit cold snuggling down in bedding but they are 1/2 the size of the minilops.

Horses are doing ok, we have two under blankets one is lame and the other was under blankets when she was a baby and yearling and never properly acclimatized to michigan winter. The other three look more shaggy then they did 3 weeks ago and no one is shivering. Everyone has shelter to get out of the wind at night.

We got 18" of snow with drifts up to 3 feet in spots.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:50 pm

arunphilip wrote:
For those of you in the midst of - and braving - the Polar Vortex, how about throwing a bone to someone in the tropics with a few pictures of your backyard/lawn?

Here is the snow squall that blew into our area yesterday from the west bringing in the arctic blast. Not much snow but the temps tumbled. We had subzero wind chill all day today. Looking forward to getting back up to 60 degrees F this weekend.

Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

arunphilip
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:14 pm

Aranarth wrote:
For those you wondering how farm animals are handling the cold.

Very interesting!

G8torbyte wrote:
We had subzero wind chill all day today. Looking forward to getting back up to 60 degrees F this weekend.

Wow, that's like a 100 degree swing, isn't it? I've heard of it being -40 degrees C/F, although I'm not sure if that's true temperature, or adjusted for wind chill.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:38 pm

arunphilip wrote:
G8torbyte wrote:
We had subzero wind chill all day today. Looking forward to getting back up to 60 degrees F this weekend.

Wow, that's like a 100 degree swing, isn't it? I've heard of it being -40 degrees C/F, although I'm not sure if that's true temperature, or adjusted for wind chill.

In the western suburbs of Chicago we hit -23F for the low yesterday, and the forecast for Monday is a high of 53F with rain. So a 76 degree swing over a 5 day period. The next few days are gonna get pretty sloppy with all that snow melting, the rain (it is supposed to rain on Saturday too), and the ground frozen solid (so all that water isn't going to just soak in).

Speaking of snow, an amusing dog story: A few days ago, my son and his girlfriend cooked chili for dinner. Later that evening, our dog was checking out the kitchen floor for anything that had gotten dropped. She suddenly asked to be let outside in an apparent panic, and started frantically eating snow off the ground in the back yard. Best guess is that she found a seed from one of the hot peppers (jalapeno and habanero) that went into the chili...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:01 am

just brew it! wrote:
Speaking of snow, an amusing dog story: A few days ago, my son and his girlfriend cooked chili for dinner. Later that evening, our dog was checking out the kitchen floor for anything that had gotten dropped. She suddenly asked to be let outside in an apparent panic, and started frantically eating snow off the ground in the back yard. Best guess is that she found a seed from one of the hot peppers (jalapeno and habanero) that went into the chili...

That's why dogs are so much fonking fun. We see a little of our adolescent selves in them, and are vastly entertained when they do something dumb.
My dog loves to eat snow, so when I walk her at night, she usually has hew mouth open bulldozing snow into her yap. One day she clearly got brain freeze, yelped, and ran around in a circle with her head leaning to one side like she was having a seizure. A moment later she was fine, and she looked up and me like I did something awful to her with that accusing look. Probably because I was laughing my arse off.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:15 am

liquidsquid wrote:
Probably because I was laughing my arse off.

I would have been too!
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:20 am

liquidsquid wrote:
That's why dogs are so much fonking fun. We see a little of our adolescent selves in them, and are vastly entertained when they do something dumb.

As long as "something dumb" doesn't require a trip to the vet...

Another good one is when she tries to jump into my wife's lap, misses, and falls on her a**. It's like an old-timey cartoon -- leap, "uh-oh, this isn't right", a moment of panic with flailing limbs, followed by ka-thud.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 am

liquidsquid wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

My dog loves to eat snow, so when I walk her at night, she usually has hew mouth open bulldozing snow into her yap. One day she clearly got brain freeze, yelped, and ran around in a circle with her head leaning to one side like she was having a seizure. A moment later she was fine, and she looked up and me like I did something awful to her with that accusing look. Probably because I was laughing my arse off.

We had a dog named Serah who was a tricolor collie.
She loved curry not just sweet curry but indian hot curry and thai food.
Give her some in a bowl and she would guzzle water but still finish it off.
Our current dogs love spicy chilli put that on their dinner and they will clean their bowls.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:08 pm

I was a bit worried about my golden retriever (who lives outside).

He has a pretty well built house, insulated with foam-filled 1.5" thick walls (including floor and ceiling), and a small 40w electric mat with a dog bed on top, but I was still concerned this cold combined with the snow would be a bit too much. I stacked a few bales of straw around the front to shield the door from the wind, and opened up another bale and stuffed handfuls into whatever gaps I could find. I went to check on him just after midnight on Thursday morning when it was about -15f (~-35wc), and see seemed to act like it was no big deal. His fur was really cold but his belly was warm and he wasn't shivering.

The following morning when I went out to fill the wood boiler he came bounding across the yard filled with sunshine and rainbows like normal so I guess it didn't bother him too much.

My truck however, absolutely refused to light off. I would have destroyed the battery if I didn't have a charger handy as it was only good for about 20 seconds of cranking before it was down to around 9 volts at -21f. I ended up working from home for a few hours until the temperature rose to around -15f. Then it started just fine, apart from the obviously struggling battery.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:02 pm

In DC it’s been snowing since about 7:00 AM, a nice steady, gentle snow. Maybe an inch of accumulation, probably more in the burbs. 18°F and snow is beautiful.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

The Egg

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:01 pm

Sunny and just under 20F when I stepped out for lunch. After the past couple days, it almost felt like I didn’t need a jacket.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:09 pm

Yeah, we might hit 40 tomorrow, summer is here at last. :D
TR BBQ XV is over.

liquidsquid

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:28 pm

Well, I tried embedding a google album pic, that doesn't seem to work. Anyhow this is from our cold walks with the snow-eating dog from this evening:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FgevacJWDCs2WXN69

Enjoy.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:16 pm

Finally made it in to the office for the first time since Monday. Kind of wish I hadn't though; the Metra was a complete clusterf*ck in both directions. I spent nearly 4 hours commuting today.

Anyhow, here's a pic of the Chicago river taken near my workplace around lunchtime today:

I really should've gone and stood on the bridge to take a picture up the river, but it was pretty windy and I just wanted to get in out of the cold.

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:04 pm

Ironically enough, where I'm located we only got snow AFTER the insane cold spell let up and the Global Warming got us up into the teens for temperatures.

When the really insane cold hit on Tuesday to early Thursday there was only a trace of old leftover snow on the ground.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:06 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Finally made it in to the office for the first time since Monday. Kind of wish I hadn't though; the Metra was a complete clusterf*ck in both directions. I spent nearly 4 hours commuting today.

Anyhow, here's a pic of the Chicago river taken near my workplace around lunchtime today:

I really should've gone and stood on the bridge to take a picture up the river, but it was pretty windy and I just wanted to get in out of the cold.

Wow, so little ice, I wish it was that warm. I think we are past 3ft of ice on the lakes and rivers here, and heading towards 4ft. But when you get weeks of -40, it makes ice. Good news though, that cold spell is now over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/we ... io/timmins
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:31 pm

It’ll be 60°F here next week. That’ll sure be a change from the single digit weather we’re coming out of. I never remember such wide temperature differences when I was a kid, but they probably happened all the time. To me, winter was always cold.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:28 am

anotherengineer wrote:
Wow, so little ice, I wish it was that warm. I think we are past 3ft of ice on the lakes and rivers here, and heading towards 4ft. But when you get weeks of -40, it makes ice. Good news though, that cold spell is now over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/we ... io/timmins

Yeah, since it has been unseasonably warm most of the winter except for the past week, we have less ice on the lake and river than usual. I believe they also periodically send an icebreaker up the river.

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:24 pm

OK: This is weather in the Midwest.

On Thursday morning after the worst of the cold had theoretically passed it was still well below zero as I trudged into work and it literally hurt to breath.

By today, it was well over 60, sunny, and I was in short sleeves outside at my land. The snow had almost entirely melted except in some heavily shaded locations and the ground was about 1" of mud on top of hard ice because it had frozen hard during the cold and the warm temps hadn't worked their way deeper into the ground yet. Thanks Midwest Weather!

Fun fact: I had a chocolate bar literally melt in the sun (note: It was *not* in a hot car and I didn't have a fire or stove going, that was literally just solar power at work):

Incidentally, got some awesome 4K@60FPS drone footage that I'm going to be discussing soon.. SINCE I'M GOING AMD!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:45 pm

Today's melt turned driveway into skating rink. Had to use tractor (and the chains on all 4 tires) to get trash bins out for tomorrow's collection.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:19 am

I spent about an hour cutting various paths in the yard to get the water to drain away from the driveway and garage. I think this summer it's going to be time for some fill dirt/stone to level the driveway up.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:07 am

Oh lovely... the forecast for tonight has us getting an ice storm. It is days like this I am really glad the electric service in our neighborhood is all buried cables instead of up on power poles.

Blahpony
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:15 pm

I drove home from work yesterday and today with the top down.

Last week at this time, it was like 5F.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:02 pm

By the will of Bob, today's thaw actually left me an ice-free path from my usual parking spot in the driveway to the garage. When I left this AM, I had to use an ice pick to help me to my car as I shuffled 2 feet, reset the pick, lather/rinse/repeat, until I got across what was then a completely iced-over and wet driveway.

To add to the indignities of the day, when I left today's worksite and got to the car, I was parked-in so close to my driver's door that I had to go in the other side and scoot over the console. Those gerbils who have met me at BBQ know that "scoot" is not part of my normal vocabulary. I had to hook my snow brush in the hand-grip of the passenger door to get it closed.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:13 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
By the will of Bob, today's thaw actually left me an ice-free path from my usual parking spot in the driveway to the garage. When I left this AM, I had to use an ice pick to help me to my car as I shuffled 2 feet, reset the pick, lather/rinse/repeat, until I got across what was then a completely iced-over and wet driveway.

I know that pain. My nice smooth gets to experience that frequently. Some drivers carry cat litter and scatter it although I haven't tried it myself to see if it helps. I suppose if it's sharp and jagged enough it could.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
I know that pain. My nice smooth gets to experience that frequently. Some drivers carry cat litter and scatter it although I haven't tried it myself to see if it helps. I suppose if it's sharp and jagged enough it could.

I used to have a pair of YakTrax and even knew where they were. SWMBO, however, did not approve of my choice of storage location and now conveniently cannot remember the "proper" storage location to which she relocated them. With those on your shoes, ice is nothing.

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:19 pm

-25C (wind chill -33) here, so I've been hanging out in the basement all week long. Set tstat upstairs to 21 and the basement gets to a nice and toasty 24. Feels great!
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 pm

Here's the next round:
Tuesday night: 64 °F with rain and fog.
Wednesday: 75 °F with a chance of rain.
Thursday: 79 °F and partly sunny.
Friday: 54 °F with a chance of rain.
Friday night: 36 °F and cloudy.

The warm temperatures this past weekend had so much pine pollen in the air that cars were covered with a layer of yellow.
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:54 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

I used to have a pair of YakTrax and even knew where they were. SWMBO, however, did not approve of my choice of storage location and now conveniently cannot remember the "proper" storage location to which she relocated them. With those on your shoes, ice is nothing.

Trying to decide if Ill still have use for them when I can pick them up this season or wait until next cold season. Those look perfect and I could work faster in bad conditions.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

The Egg

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:26 am

Captain Ned wrote:
I used to have a pair of YakTrax and even knew where they were.

Those look really cool. I’ll have to check out a pair.