Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Winter weather

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:28 am

The Egg wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
I used to have a pair of YakTrax and even knew where they were.

Those look really cool. I’ll have to check out a pair.

They actually issues those to our field surveyors. Also good for slick mud conditions.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:36 am

Things were starting to ice up around 7:00 PM last night from the predicted ice storm. Hope I don't slip and fall on the way to the bus.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:00 am

We got that two days ago. Be careful. A friend's wife got a pretty severe concussion from slipping on it. I put down ice on my driveway and all it did was just melt into the ice, didn't help at all. On top of that yesterday we got 7 inches of snow. Yesterday's drive took 2 hours to get home. Shoveling that was very sketchy on top of that ice.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:42 am

Generally speaking, dot doesn't bother with salt 10-15f or below, because it doesn't work that well. If I remember right from my college days, the best I could do starting with water and mixing a saturated salt solution was -8f.

At that point, if you're going to do anything you could put down that thin gravel that northern states use and sawdust. I've experienced both of those and theyre amazing. Bonus points if you put down sawdust before the ice fully forms.

I can't carry either of those in the truck, they both are pretty messy.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 am

Yeah, except it was 10F or so yesterday. I have guests coming over today. I'm really hoping the salt I put down last night helps or they may not get up the driveway.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:32 am

SuperSpy wrote:
I was a bit worried about my golden retriever (who lives outside).

He has a pretty well built house, insulated with foam-filled 1.5" thick walls (including floor and ceiling), and a small 40w electric mat with a dog bed on top, but I was still concerned this cold combined with the snow would be a bit too much. I stacked a few bales of straw around the front to shield the door from the wind, and opened up another bale and stuffed handfuls into whatever gaps I could find. I went to check on him just after midnight on Thursday morning when it was about -15f (~-35wc), and see seemed to act like it was no big deal. His fur was really cold but his belly was warm and he wasn't shivering.

The following morning when I went out to fill the wood boiler he came bounding across the yard filled with sunshine and rainbows like normal so I guess it didn't bother him too much.

Since I have animals outside I can tell you, you did everything right.
Your dog is an outside dog and has acclimated to the weather already.
As long as he is dry, his skin is warm, and he is happy he's doing just fine.
You can also press a thumb against his gums and they should bounce back fast. This indicates if he is dehydrated or not.

Carnivores need more protein and fat in the winter to burn for energy to keep warm. Give him fat scraps on his dinner if he seems to be too thin or loosing weight.

Herbivors need more roughage and fiber to digest instead. Many herbivores have an extra stomach where they keep bacteria that break the fiber down and when they do that they produce lots of heat and this is what keeps the animal warm. Herbivors can often survive worse weather than carnivores if they have plenty to eat.

In both animal types as long as they have plenty of fat they can withstand some pretty server winter weather. Shivering in either animal type means the animal is not producing enough heat to keep warm or there is too much heat loss into the environment the muscles are being used to generate heat instead.
Shivering is not a major source of concern as long you take steps to resolve the cause. We bring the horses in out of the wind and rain and let them dry out which usually fixes the issue.
If we have a history with the animal we may decide to put on a blanket as well. Most of time just upping their feed or adding grain is all they need.
Snow on a horses back is actually a good thing! it means the horse's fur is nice and thick and the snow actually adds more insulation. If the snow is melting the the horse is shivering its time for a dryout in the barn and a blanket.

If you need to know more ask a vet.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:40 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
We got that two days ago. Be careful. A friend's wife got a pretty severe concussion from slipping on it. I put down ice on my driveway ...

Well there's your problem right there -- you put ice on your ice! :lol:

On a more serious note, I lucked out. It was warm enough when I left for the bus that there wasn't a lot of ice.

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:38 am

just brew it! wrote:
DragonDaddyBear wrote:
We got that two days ago. Be careful. A friend's wife got a pretty severe concussion from slipping on it. I put down ice on my driveway ...

Well there's your problem right there -- you put ice on your ice! :lol:

On a more serious note, I lucked out. It was warm enough when I left for the bus that there wasn't a lot of ice.

Step 1) Drink coffee
Step 2) Drink more coffee
Step 3) Post on TR

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:27 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:

Step 1) Drink coffee
Step 2) Drink more coffee
Step 3) Post on TR

Step 4) find other ways to procrastinate about getting to work.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:14 pm

Well, my part of VT is doing its level best tonight to be a bobsled and/or luge run. Road in front of the house is closed at both ends with lots of flashing blue lights.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:21 am

Sounds like here. Freezing drizzle followed by snow. YAY!

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:09 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
Sounds like here. Freezing drizzle followed by snow. YAY!

Freezing rain to rain to snow here.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:22 pm

Well i'm in a pickle. I'm west of minneapolis and it's shut down due to an accident so i'm stuck at a rest area. The roads also are bad enough that i can't legally drive any more. The truck stop i was planning to get fuel at is about 40 miles away, and so i only have 3/8 of a tank to keep me warm. Hopefully i can get moving in the morning.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:01 pm

Colorado low just went by and dumped 8-10 more inches, think we broke the 4ft mark now for snow.

I wonder if will make the 6ft mark before it starts to melt in April?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:48 am

Most of ours melted earlier this week when we had a couple of days above freezing with rain. Just a few dirty piles left here and there where snow that had been shoveled/plowed got dumped.

Today we're back into the deep freeze (currently 5F).

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:55 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Well i'm in a pickle. I'm west of minneapolis and it's shut down due to an accident so i'm stuck at a rest area. The roads also are bad enough that i can't legally drive any more. The truck stop i was planning to get fuel at is about 40 miles away, and so i only have 3/8 of a tank to keep me warm. Hopefully i can get moving in the morning.

Did you end up making it somewhere safe? They had blizzard conditions in western MN. So, even if there wasn't an accident, the roads would have still been closed. I heard on the radio that they pulled the plows in some areas because of safety, there just wasn't the visibility.

Also, over a foot in my area this week. An now it's well below 0, with 0 being the "high" for the day. That means the roads really suck. There were lots of crashes before 6 today. The way in was just ice. I could feel my car being pulled side to side as the tired grabbed the groves in the ice from previous drivers.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:01 am

Well this is fun! (s)

Just went from 40f's and rain, to freezing rain (1/8" to 1/2" ice depending on where you are), to 20 to 40mph winds with falling temps, and blowing snow all in 24-36 hours.
I have 2" of what was wet snow that is now ice with another 1/4 inch of fresh ice on top of that on my deck.

Right now it is gusting to 40mph, 14F, and blowing snow. We are expecting to see an inch of accumulation.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:05 am

Aranarth wrote:
Well this is fun! (s)

Just went from 40f's and rain, to freezing rain (1/8" to 1/2" ice depending on where you are), to 20 to 40mph winds with falling temps, and blowing snow all in 24-36 hours.
I have 2" of what was wet snow that is now ice with another 1/4 inch of fresh ice on top of that on my deck.

Right now it is gusting to 40mph, 14F, and blowing snow. We are expecting to see an inch of accumulation.

Yeah, the wind was brutal here last night too when the temperatures started to plummet. I was out in that sh*t; at least we didn't get much in the way of additional precipitation. Presumably that's the same weather system you're experiencing (but in your case you're getting it after it crossed over the lake and picked up a bunch of moisture).

People who aren't from the Great Lakes area are sometimes surprised by how much they can affect the regional climate (especially downwind). Sure, they're called "lakes" because they aren't salty. But at over 20,000 square miles and an average depth of nearly 300 feet (with a maximum of nearly 1,000 feet), Lake Michigan is effectively an inland sea in terms of its effects on the weather patterns in the area.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:30 am

My car has gotten in the fun habit of randomly accumulating ice on the inside of the windshield, often with nothing on the outside, or any other windows. I let someone at work borrow my small ice scraper (and keep forgetting to get it back), so that leaves me with almost no method of dealing with it when I'm in a hurry. One of these days I'm going to hit a parked car 2 blocks from home and look like a complete idiot.

liquidsquid

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:37 am

Not a speck of snow left after two crazy warm windy humid days just chewed what little snow pack we had right up. Fine by my after getting nailed by a snowboarder in the back skiing last weekend while already bombing down the slopes. (I was going 36mph and hot hit HARD in the back). So a trip to the ER and some really sore ribs will force me to take a break and give a chance for the snow to come back to finish up the season.

I may be getting too old for this shiz.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:39 am

The Egg wrote:
My car has gotten in the fun habit of randomly accumulating ice on the inside of the windshield, often with nothing on the outside, or any other windows. I let someone at work borrow my small ice scraper (and keep forgetting to get it back), so that leaves me with almost no method of dealing with it when I'm in a hurry. One of these days I'm going to hit a parked car 2 blocks from home and look like a complete idiot.

Sounds like you've probably got a leaky seal somewhere which is allowing water into the passenger compartment, raising the interior humidity. Then when the car sits and cools off, this water condenses on the windshield and freezes.

You could try leaving one of the windows cracked open a tiny bit to vent the humid air. At least, on days when precipitation is not expected.

The Egg

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:56 am

just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Sounds like you've probably got a leaky seal somewhere which is allowing water into the passenger compartment, raising the interior humidity. Then when the car sits and cools off, this water condenses on the windshield and freezes.

That's kinda what I'm hoping it isn't. It's not all the time though, and seems random, so it's possible that there's some other stipulating condition which I'm not noticing because of the overnight separation in time.

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:23 am

It could be the cold and different materials shrinking at different rates. I had a very old truck for my first vehicle. I just put silicone around the major seems on the roof. It was ghetto but it worked great, no more showers in the truck when it rained.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:31 am

My wifes car has acquired the annoying trait of leaking *just* enough coolant when it's very cold to be able to smell it, but not enough to track it down before it evaporates from wherever it's coming from. It's not enough to do anything other than be incredibly annoying; but it's frustrating to smell coolant, go look, and have there be zero leaks and zero smells in the 15 seconds it takes to open the hood.

I'm assuming it's a loose clamp somewhere that's just loose enough to let some coolant seep out on initial startup when cold. Cold being under freezing in this case. Once it's warm I'll do a once-over of all of them, but given that it's only a few years old, I'm annoyed with VW. :P
Desktop: Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.4 | 16 GB | Radeon VII | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 2048 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:34 am

Don't want to spoil too much but I have some hardcore/bad ass/insane solar panel installers working on my roof right now. 22 mph winds, -5 F wind chill. On my roof. All day. Installing solar panels. :o Respect is high.
TR BBQ XV is over.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:51 am

just brew it! wrote:
People who aren't from the Great Lakes area are sometimes surprised by how much they can affect the regional climate (especially downwind). Sure, they're called "lakes" because they aren't salty. But at over 20,000 square miles and an average depth of nearly 300 feet (with a maximum of nearly 1,000 feet), Lake Michigan is effectively an inland sea in terms of its effects on the weather patterns in the area.

I lived in Chicago for 11 years, never more than a mile from Lake Michigan, and I always was impressed by how much the Lake acted to modulate temperature swings.

Also, I once had to explain to some acquaintances from Germany that the Great Lakes, altogether, cover a larger area than the entire UK. They couldn't quite grasp the concept, and were annoyed that we called them "lakes" if that were the case.

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:59 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I lived in Chicago for 11 years, never more than a mile from Lake Michigan, and I always was impressed by how much the Lake acted to modulate temperature swings.

Also, I once had to explain to some acquaintances from Germany that the Great Lakes, altogether, cover a larger area than the entire UK. They couldn't quite grasp the concept, and were annoyed that we called them "lakes" if that were the case.

It isn't really that surprising at all. The Caspian Sea and Aral Sea(in its prime) have similar effects in Central Asia to a lesser extent Lake Victoria and Lake Chad(its slowly disappearing like the Aral Sea) in Africa.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:

The distance from San Diego to Boston is nearly the same distance as Lisbon to Moscow (little over 4000km). So the Great Lakes being the size of the UK? I believe it.
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Back to weather, flying from BWI to MSP tomorrow. Friend I'm visiting messaged me a picture of his car halfway up its wheels in snow and asked if I was sure I still wanted to come.
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:44 pm

It went from +50f to +12 in 6 hours in my area in Michigan. I spent the early evening sweating profusely cleaning up some some-to-be-firewood in 99% humidity, then when I went back out around 11pm to load the boiler before I went to bed, I nearly froze to death in the wind.

Of course I got my truck all muddy moving the firewood, which is now cemented into place before I could get a chance to wash it off. :evil:
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560