Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Winter weather

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:59 pm

DragonDaddyBear wrote:

Did you end up making it somewhere safe? They had blizzard conditions in western MN. So, even if there wasn't an accident, the roads would have still been closed. I heard on the radio that they pulled the plows in some areas because of safety, there just wasn't the visibility.

Also, over a foot in my area this week. An now it's well below 0, with 0 being the "high" for the day. That means the roads really suck. There were lots of crashes before 6 today. The way in was just ice. I could feel my car being pulled side to side as the tired grabbed the groves in the ice from previous drivers.

I ended up moving a little further after the accident cleared, but indeed 94 in North Dakota was shut down. It's been a trial the past few days. My traction was so weak at one point that while moving 10mph my drives lost traction due to the lean of the road in a curve and they started jacknifing to the left while my steers and trailer were moving normally. Luckily trailer brakes can be actuated separately to pull things back in line, and although it probably caused some damage I turned on my dif lock while lightly spinning to spread out my power more.

Truckers often debate when to stop since the road can go from okay to hell before the next safe stop, and that's what caught me, but I probably shouldn't have been on the road yesterday at all. :lol: hindsight is 20 blah blah
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Welp, Seattle was overdue for a patch of real winter (we get about two a decade) and it looks like our latest has just started. It may be the biggest in a decade, and a decade ago this happened:

(Explanation posted at the time on page 12 of this very thread)

I expect I'll be watching people snowboard down the streets pretty soon (that's from our last big dump, on and around my street -- at about 2:40 you can see them ending their rail and stair grinds not far from where those buses were).

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:20 pm

If your salt trucks are skidding out then probably a good idea to stay inside:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.5011181

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Yeah, it was slick out today. When there is a minus sign in front of the temp (F) the salt basically does nothing. -10F and no sun and it's a lot scarier.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 am

Yeah Corvallis, Oregon here. Mid Willamette Valley, south of Seattle about 250 miles. I think you Seattlites (sp) got all our snow! We had a wicked snow forecast that just got downgraded to the usual rain.

Stay safe! I know it's not much compared to other places, but that means a) people don't know how to react to it and b) cities arent well prepared for it.

In other news, my water heater has been leaking like crazy and I didn't notice how bad it was until today. I spent most of today in freezing weather replacing moldy insulation and soggy drywall, while wrestling with water heaters. Went to home depot three times and I still didn't find the right fitting for my gas line. Why can't this crap happen when I don't need to take a hot shower?