Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JavaDog
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

First Motorcycle

Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:23 am

So. Excited.

I bought my first motorcycle this weekend. Getting my permit tomorrow, registering the bike on Saturday! Signed up for the classes, but there is a waiting list, have some good friends that ride that are willing to show me the ropes. I can't wait!

What bike, you ask? I got a 2002 Honda CBR 600 F-Sport. She is black and red and oh so sexy. :D

Oh, and I am getting a divorce! Yay changes!

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Re: First Motorcycle

Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:50 am

Have fun man you will like it. When I had mine I loved to ride. I cant have motorcycles anymore though I am one of those people that turn into a complete jackass when they sit down on one. With a wife and 2 little kids at home that means I cant have another motorcycle for 20 years :(

JavaDog
Topic Author

Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:20 am

Yeah, I don't plan on being stupid with it. Here on Oahu, 90% of the roads are 35 - 40 mph. Gonna take it easy for the first few months, get to know the bike and myself on it. Only thing I am worried about are the idiot drivers here.

Byzantine1453
Gerbil

Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:22 am

I would like to get my license and buy a nice cruiser but i'm not sure I have the time anymore to take lessons :(
E6600 2.88GHZ | Corsair 4GB DDR2 800 | 3x320 GB Raid 0 | BFG Geforce 8800GTX | Xonar D2 | OCZ 800 watt

JavaDog
Topic Author

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:35 am

Here is a stock photo, basically identical to mine.

Of course, once my new baby is home I iwll be posting some pictures of her. Have I mentioned how excited I am yet? :D

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:51 am

JavaDog wrote:
Here is a stock photo, basically identical to mine.

Of course, once my new baby is home I iwll be posting some pictures of her. Have I mentioned how excited I am yet? :D

Oh my ... she is beautiful... 8)

EDIT: How much did it cost you ?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:56 am

I would be very careful with a CBR 600 for a first bike. Very careful.
Democrats, please help control our pest population: have yourselves spayed or neutered.

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:05 am

:D

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:01 am

Yeah, crotch rockets are not for me - that one looks uncomfortable too
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:46 am

Have you ever tried sitting on one? You might surprise yourself.
Democrats, please help control our pest population: have yourselves spayed or neutered.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:51 am

Vrock wrote:
Have you ever tried sitting on one? You might surprise yourself.

its been a very long time, but yes

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:53 am

JavaDog wrote:
Oh, and I am getting a divorce!

I'm sorry to hear that :(

SlyFerret
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:02 am

One of these days I'd like to take one of those sport bikes for a test ride just to see what they're like.

In the mean time though, I think I'll stick with my Sportster.

My wife recently mentioned something about wanting to learn to ride. I think I'll start her on a rebel or a shadow or something small. Once she's ready, she can ride my 883, and I'll buy one of the new 1200's with the shock mounted engine and bigger gas tank. 8)

-SF
"Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you would not have been notified."

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:04 am

Grats on the bike dog......I'm jealous. I like the CBR series. I've heard & read that they are a nice bike. Not too overpriced for the cc's you get, compared to either the Ninjas or the Yammy R series. When I do get another bike I will seriously be taking a look at the 600 CBR's. (and possibly the CBRR's, depending on the price diff.)

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
JavaDog wrote:

As am I....double :(
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:32 am

idchafee wrote:
Yeah, crotch rockets are not for me - that one looks uncomfortable too

Most of the street bikes from about 2000 and later have shortened their wheel base making them much more comfortable to ride than say street bikes of the late 80's & early 90's. With that in mind, if it's the whole "leaning over the gas tank" that bothers you, then you should stay away from street bikes.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:18 am

Hoser wrote:
With that in mind, if it's the whole "leaning over the gas tank" that bothers you, then you should stay away from street bikes.

When I rode one in high school, I hated the feeling that I was riding it basically laying on my stomach.

Justice
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:52 am

Within 6 weeks of owning your CBR , you'll be wishing you bought a bigger bike. Not that it's what you need, it's just how you'll feel. After 3-4 months, you'll feel like you really know your bike and you'll be quite confident on it. About then the bike will show you that you don't know everything, and will teach you even more respect about riding. That doesn't mean you'll crash or wreck, just something unexpected will happen that opens your eyes a little wider.

Good looking bike. My first bike was a 1986 VFR 750. V4 engine. Lots of torque, and a good strong motor. My next bike was a 1996 Ninja ZX7R, bought it brand new. I miss that bike too.... Looking to get a 2000-2003 TL1000R. I miss the rumble and torque of a V-Motor.
Last edited by Justice on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
|FN|Steel wrote:
Millions of sheep doesn't make [Censored] right.

Justice
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:57 am

SlyFerret wrote:
One of these days I'd like to take one of those sport bikes for a test ride just to see what they're like.

In the mean time though, I think I'll stick with my Sportster.

My wife recently mentioned something about wanting to learn to ride. I think I'll start her on a rebel or a shadow or something small. Once she's ready, she can ride my 883, and I'll buy one of the new 1200's with the shock mounted engine and bigger gas tank. 8)

-SF

Shifting from Cruiser to Sport is a world different. Center of gravity is drastically different. Leaning in to turns is different. It's like re-learning to ride all over again. Street (Non-Cruiser) is somewhere in between, and makes for a good transition in learning new riding styles.

I rode sport all the time, then a buddy offered me to take his cruiser for a spin. I almost laid it down in a turn at 10mph because I wasn't used to the higher center of gravity. Very unnerving feeling.
|FN|Steel wrote:

Justice
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:58 am

Hoser wrote:
Grats on the bike dog......I'm jealous. I like the CBR series. I've heard & read that they are a nice bike. Not too overpriced for the cc's you get, compared to either the Ninjas or the Yammy R series. When I do get another bike I will seriously be taking a look at the 600 CBR's. (and possibly the CBRR's, depending on the price diff.)

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
JavaDog wrote:

I can offer you a Congrats. Sometimes things just don't work out. Look forward to better and brighter things.
|FN|Steel wrote:

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:04 am

Be very careful with that 600. I bought my first bike 2 years ago and it was a '91 Ninja 600R. I ended up selling it off because as a new rider, I felt the kill-myself factor was too high. But I have my eye on either the CBR125 or the Ninja 250. Both are light (260 and 333)lbs respectively, which is perfect for my 140lb frame. Of course, if you're a bigger guy, than a 600 may just be fine for you.

But enjoy! Just remember, be careful.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

JavaDog
Topic Author

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:13 am

Vrock wrote:
I would be very careful with a CBR 600 for a first bike. Very careful.

Hoser wrote:

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
JavaDog wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, this CBR kinda fell into my lap. I was actually looking at a Ducati 900SS - but that was going to be way too much bike for me.

Justice wrote:
Within 6 weeks of owning your CBR , you'll be wishing you bought a bigger bike. Not that it's what you need, it's just how you'll feel. After 3-4 months, you'll feel like you really know your bike and you'll be quite confident on it. About then the bike will show you that you don't know everything, and will teach you even more respect about riding. That doesn't mean you'll crash or wreck, just something unexpected will happen that opens your eyes a little wider.

Heh, I will try and remember this in the coming months. I hope to avoid any drama for the first year. Plus, I really don't want to drop it.

Justice wrote:
I can offer you a Congrats. Sometimes things just don't work out. Look forward to better and brighter things.

That is the attitude I have right now. Why wail and scream, instead - looking forward to new things.

JavaDog
Topic Author

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:15 am

Jigar2speed5095 wrote:

My friend is getting deployed, so he gave me a HELL of a deal.

'02 with 6,000mi on it - he is the original owner. Sold it to me for $500. He's a good friend, I owe him some serious beer when he gets back from Iraq. 8)

JavaDog
Topic Author

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:18 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
Be very careful with that 600. I bought my first bike 2 years ago and it was a '91 Ninja 600R. I ended up selling it off because as a new rider, I felt the kill-myself factor was too high. But I have my eye on either the CBR125 or the Ninja 250. Both are light (260 and 333)lbs respectively, which is perfect for my 140lb frame. Of course, if you're a bigger guy, than a 600 may just be fine for you.

But enjoy! Just remember, be careful.

Yeah, I know I am going to have to hold myself back. From what I have seen, the CBR 600's are a pretty quick bike. Of course, they only go as fast as you make them. :wink: I have a feeling I am going to be doing a LOT of 1st and 2nd gear driving.

I am a big guy, 6ft - 210lbs.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:44 am

JavaDog wrote:
Of course, they only go as fast as you make them.
Problem is, new riders rarely have the sense of fine control to make the bike do what they want, nor the riding skills to recover when the bike does something they don't want. I'm not saying people can't/don't learn on bikes like yours, but I wouldn't want to. Good luck and be careful.

Justice
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:58 am

JavaDog wrote:
Yeah, I know I am going to have to hold myself back. From what I have seen, the CBR 600's are a pretty quick bike. Of course, they only go as fast as you make them. :wink: I have a feeling I am going to be doing a LOT of 1st and 2nd gear driving.

I am a big guy, 6ft - 210lbs.

If you can be honest with yourself and know if you are an naturally agile person, and not someone who is prone to panic in a tense situation, a 600 is just fine to learn on. If you know you are clumsy and tend to panic, then you should start on a smaller bike. This is your life you are potentially putting into harms way.

You really have to pay attention to *everything* when you are on a bike. I learned on a 700cc bike of my buddies, and I'm a little taller and heavier than you. I've never been in an accident on the bike, but I have dropped my bike twice. Both times it was at 0 MPH. First time was at home, pulled up in front of the porch, put the kickstand down but apparently I didn't get it past the apex point, so when I got off the bike and rested it on it's kickstand, the kickstand folded back up and the bike fell on to me. Pinched a nerve in my leg, but no damage to the bike. Second time was when I went to the bank to get some money from the ATM, but my mind was elsewhere. I didn't even put the kickstand down and watched the bike just fall as I got off... Most embarrassing moment for sure. But the point here, be aware of everything.

Have fun most of all!
|FN|Steel wrote:

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:29 pm

JavaDog wrote:
Jigar2speed5095 wrote:

'02 with 6,000mi on it - he is the original owner. Sold it to me for $500. He's a good friend, I owe him some serious beer when he gets back from Iraq. 8)

Yes you do. That's a crazy price. Congrats.
I got my first bike last year. 82 Honda CB750 Nighthawk. It's pretty slick. I ride as much as I can. Managed to break the speedometer needle off the other morning going to work, as it pegs at 85mph for some reason. :P 82 was the only year to have the 85mph speedo. All the others were 135.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:22 pm

Congrats on the new bike and good luck. I lost my bike when someone merged into my lane and my bike two weeks ago. I hit the pavement hard, but came out relatively unscathed. So, wear your gear and pay attention to everything that's going on around you. My MSF instructor always said, "Dress for the wreck." I'm glad I did, because it saved my life. Now, I've just got to get the money together to buy a new bike.

Again, congratulations on the new bike and welcome to the club!
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

TriumphRider
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Jebus wrote:
JavaDog wrote:
Jigar2speed5095 wrote:

Yes you do. That's a crazy price. Congrats.
I got my first bike last year. 82 Honda CB750 Nighthawk. It's pretty slick. I ride as much as I can. Managed to break the speedometer needle off the other morning going to work, as it pegs at 85mph for some reason. :P 82 was the only year to have the 85mph speedo. All the others were 135.

From the late 1970's through the 1983 model year, 85MPH speedometers were required by the US government. It was supposed to "slow people down". That didn't work.

If you managed to break the needle off, you were going WAY to fast!
If you ask the same question three times, you better be taking notes!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:06 am

BuddhistFish wrote:
Congrats on the new bike and good luck. I lost my bike when someone merged into my lane and my bike two weeks ago. I hit the pavement hard, but came out relatively unscathed. So, wear your gear and pay attention to everything that's going on around you. My MSF instructor always said, "Dress for the wreck." I'm glad I did, because it saved my life. Now, I've just got to get the money together to buy a new bike.

Again, congratulations on the new bike and welcome to the club!
Once again, I'm glad you're okay man. Phew! :o :)

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:40 am

I just had an accident 1 hour back (On the way to the office), Some old lady was crossing the road while it was green light and i was doing 50MPH. Nobody was hurt except my O2 ATOM (PDA), screen went bye bye :cry: