Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: slaughterhouse-five thesis

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:23 pm

stirker_0 wrote:
oh wow.. wasnt quite expecting this, editted my thesis

The paradox and exaggeration of slaughterhouse-five emphasize the senselessness of war

question is does this sound like a thesis to you people or is it not even a sentence... ??

and oh yah it even says in the first chapter "This one is a failure, and had to be, since it was written by a pillar of salt. " (Vonnegut 22)

It's just a sentence right now. But you can make it a thesis. Try writing your introductory paragraph with that as the last sentence and let us see what you come up with. You may have to change that sentence to make it work with a paragraph.

Your quote is out of context too. Without knowing the subject, that quote is meaningless.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:59 pm

stirker_0 wrote:
oh wow.. wasnt quite expecting this, editted my thesis

Which was my goal. Do your own analysis, develop your own arguments, provide evidence for your arguments, and document the whole mess. Do this and you'll be miles ahead of your classmates.

[/non-mod]

EDIT: My first post in this thread, the post originally responding to the OP, should have been marked with a [/non-mod] tag. Sorry, but I'm out of practice after escaping from R&P. I promise I'll be back in practice soonest.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:35 am

titan wrote:
stirker_0 wrote:
The paradox and exaggeration of slaughterhouse-five emphasize the senselessness of war

and oh yah it even says in the first chapter "This one is a failure, and had to be, since it was written by a pillar of salt. " (Vonnegut 22)

It's just a sentence right now. But you can make it a thesis. Try writing your introductory paragraph with that as the last sentence and let us see what you come up with. You may have to change that sentence to make it work with a paragraph.

Your quote is out of context too. Without knowing the subject, that quote is meaningless.

One thing about a thesis... you won' t go wrong with an Although clause. As in, "Although Stalin's purges decapitated the Red Army prior to World War II, the Soviets were able to mount the most effective war machine of the era." Start with a statement that contrasts the second part. I never write a thesis of any sort without an Although-clause.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Jalistr51531s
Gerbil In Training

Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:40 am

Seconding the good Cap'n.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:50 pm

Jalistr51531s wrote:
Seconding the good Cap'n.

Lol at a bot responding to a 13 year old thread and referring to Ned as the "good Cap'n".