Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

b0nes
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:43 pm

Hey everyone, I know this sounds like a stupid n00b question, but what is Dual Display used for??? What's the purpose of having it??? THANX

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Drunkmonk on 2002-03-08 22:44 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Drunkmonk on 2002-03-08 22:44 ]</font>

TwoFer
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:56 pm

In a word, screen real estate.

Okay, that's three words... but that's the principle.

Some people use it in Photoshop or AutoCAD, with the main window maximized on one monitor and all the palettes on the other. It's handy for really large spreadsheets, too -- it reduces scrolling and improves visibility. I use it myself when I'm building reports (generally in PageMaker) from multiple document sources (apps like Word, Excel, Mathcad, Axum, Photoshop and the odd ASCII editor or DOS window here and there -- and yeah, I'll have all these open at once, which takes two 21" monitors to handle easily).

My friends who are into coding speak well of it, too; something about code on one monitor and debug on the other... but I don't code, myself, so I don't understand it all. ;)

But I find that it's as useful to me as dual CPU's, and from me that's saying something!

RandomNull
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:57 pm

Dual Display = gaming on one and irc/other stuff on another and etc...
Very cool and really nice if you have got a dual rig like me =p </bragging>

lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:15 am

In order of decreasing productivity: I have a SQL server database on one, and create the executable queries on the other. Or I look at the SQL query engine execute a search on on while I game/surf/chat away on the other. Or I just play Serious Sam on both, as it supports dual head output. Or I surf on one and IRC/IM on the other...
Once you have it, you find many ways to make use of it.

b0nes
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:52 am

AWWWWWW I see now. thanx guys