Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

rogelio
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Car off the Lot

Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:17 pm

I may be purchasing a car, but the window in which I intend to do so is pretty narrow - about the last 5 or 6 days in June (must have the car driveable by June 30). However, I know the exact make/model of car I intend to purchase and know the 2/3 major dealerships in my area that sell that brand. The car's going to be bought straight-up (no leasing), and so I'm wondering if that short a time-frame is possible (excluding the time it actually takes for me to settle on the final car)... to do the paperwork, have them do whatever detailing they usually do, and have it registered/insured. (I'm guessing the last item just requires a trip to the DMV and a phone-call to the insurance company). For a super popular car (new corolla or civic), how often do they have to bring-in the car from elsewhere (that would take up more time, I imagine).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Car off the Lot

Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:34 pm

If you have payment pre-arranged (e.g.: certified check), I would expect that you should be able to drive away within 24 hours of your purchase.

rogelio
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:05 am

awesome. so with the big dealerships of Honda/Toyota, I assume they usually have enough inventory on the floor/lot to drive-away the popular models then (civic/corolla)? only reason i ask this is because i had a friend get a bmw convertible and they had to ship the thing in (took 10 days)...

sluggo
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:23 am

If you know the make. model, and timeframe, I'd let two or three dealers know in advance what you want in terms of colors/options. This will give them time to get a matching car in, perhaps from another dealership. Tell them you WILL be buying a car in that timeframe, and if they want your business they'll have something ready to show you. Then pick the best deal.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action - Goethe

LovermanOwens
Gerbil First Class

Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:04 am

It takes about 24 hours to pick up a car. You should be all set
AMD FX-8150 @ 4.5Ghz| Asus Crosshair V| 4x4 gig ddr3 1866| too many hard drives to count | 2 7970 Ghz Editions| Antec Quattro 1000 PSU | Thermaltake Armor + | Logitech THX 5.1 | 7.1 Razer Tiamat Headset

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:47 am

Actually....

I had a very short time frame to purchase the vehicle I have had for five years now, a '97 Chevy Cavalier. The asking price was $7,000. I told the dealership that'd I take the car for $3,000.00 total cash. (I did not actually pay in cash, but it was a way to say, you're getting the money right now.) Manager countered with $4,000. I countered with $3,200 and I'll take it off the lot right now. Manager said, "Okay." And within the hour I drove the car off the lot.

The car's value at the time was $3,900, which we found out after the purchase. I got a fantastic deal. What I did lose out on was a full tank of gas and detailing. At the time gas was only ~$1.30 per gallon and the car was already very clean. It was certainly not worth an extra $3,800 for that.

So, if the car is on the lot, you can drive it home within an hour or two provided that you, or someone with you, has proof of insurance. In my case, I had my father with me so we showed his insurance. Also, do not underestimate the power of negotiating. Go for what may be ridiculous and find out what a sweet deal you could get. I try to avoid "best price" dealerships. While I've never seen one that was extortionist, you can get a much better deal with one that'll negotiate. Finally, it's fine and dandy if you want to use a pre-certified check, but that makes negotiations nearly impossible as you can't change the amount. I know some banks will make sure that a check you write will go through for a certain business, or you can bring a card with you and again, make sure your bank knows what you intend to do. Optionally, bring actual cash. It'll make things easy, and the dealership may salivate a bit more at actual cash because there aren't any fees on that purchase.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:37 am

If they have the car you can usually drive it off the lot within a couple hours, if they have to do a dealer trade add a few hours. Also, the thing about cash, we have people come into the dealership all the time thinking they can flash some cash and get an amazing deal only to storm out mad that it didn't work. People don't understand the money doesn't come from the sale of the car, it comes from the finance office.

Titan's experience isn't too uncommon with used vehicles that have been recently traded in and aren't lot ready yet. But the only time you have any real power negotiating on a new car is if you're looking at a car that's been on the lot 200+ days or if the dealership is in financial trouble. Otherwise If they know you're paying cash they know they're not going to get any profits from the back side of the deal and usually will negotiate less, well unless you buy extended warranties and "protection" packages(undercoating, rustproofing, etc) in which case they'll drop the price of the car since they're getting the profits back in the F&I office.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:52 am

jss21382 wrote:
"protection" packages(undercoating, rustproofing, etc).

Those protection packages will mean that you won't get to take the car that day unless the car already had the protection packages applied.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

LovermanOwens
Gerbil First Class

Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:48 am

titan wrote:
jss21382 wrote:

Those protection packages will mean that you won't get to take the car that day unless the car already had the protection packages applied.

Wow...people still sell those things? I would just stick with the warrenty and be all set with it.
AMD FX-8150 @ 4.5Ghz| Asus Crosshair V| 4x4 gig ddr3 1866| too many hard drives to count | 2 7970 Ghz Editions| Antec Quattro 1000 PSU | Thermaltake Armor + | Logitech THX 5.1 | 7.1 Razer Tiamat Headset

rogelio
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:09 pm

JERRY: (Sees Elaine leaving) Hey! Wh-where are you..? (She exits. Puddy sits down at his desk - disturbed)
PUDDY: Let’s finish this up.
JERRY: Did you two break up?
PUDDY: (While punching up numbers on a calculator) That chick’s whacked. We’re history. (Back to the transaction) I just left out a couple of things: rust-proofing..
JERRY: "Rust-proofing"?
PUDDY: (Reading off what he’s adding up on the calculator) Transport charge, storage surcharge, additional overcharge, finder’s fee
JERRY: "Finder’s fee"? It was on the lot!
PUDDY: Yeah, that’s right. (Continues reading off) Floor mats, keys..
JERRY: ‘Keys"?!
PUDDY: How ya gonna start it?
JERRY: Hey, George!
GEORGE: Hey, starving! (Grabs the box from Jerry)
JERRY: No, last one. Listen, you gotta help me out. Elaine and Puddy just broke up, he’s treatin’ me just like a regular customer, now!
GEORGE: I tried to tell you, but you wouldn’t listen. No, ho, ho! You were gonna get a deal, huh? There’s now laws in this place. Anything goes! It’s Thunderdome!
(A saleswoman approaches them)
SALESWOMAN: Is someone helping you?
(Jerry and George quickly avoid her by leaving the room)
GEORGE: Stay back!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:15 pm

I bought my Altima used in '05; it was from a non-negotiating dealership, but it was the only one with the specs I wanted that anyone had when I needed it, and the price was competitive. I drove the car home that afternoon, it only took getting the dealer in touch with my credit union for the financing.

ucisilentbob
Gerbil XP

Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:52 pm

My last car buying experience was great. I hit up edmunds.com, spec'd out the car i wanted a month out. Sent out for quotes via edmunds.com. Within a week i got 5 quotes, called the different places with other quotes and played them against each other. When i finally got a the best deal i could get. I requested a full quote with the VIN number via email. Walked into the dealership with quote in hand at 3pm, drove off the lot at 7pm.

Since you're from LA, if you're looking to buy a Toyota, get an edmunds quote from Toyota of Hollywood then work them against Longo Toyota those two dealerships were the most competitive when i was buying. In the end I bought from Toyota of Hollywood.
Bastage:
Ci7 3930K @ 4.56Ghz//16GB//MSI X79A-GD65//Noctua NH-D14 se2011//180GB Intel SSD 520
XFX 5850 1GB @775/1200 //X-Fi Titanium HD//Dell U2410(A01)+2001FP//OCZ ZX 850W

krazyboi
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:24 pm

I bought a used car in 07 and if you get pre-approved and they have the car on the lot it should take no time at all. I found the car on the net, got pre-approved by my telco, went and test drove, and had the car the next day (I traded in my old car and had the used car inspected). It seems like most of the time is spent haggling or if you are financing through the dealership. Cut those 2 out and it should go by quick…
"Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you."

drobber
Gerbil

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:52 pm

The mat is an absolutely essential accessory in the car. Without it, the floor will get dirty, and the bottom of the car will begin to suffer from corrosion. But which mat should you choose? Customized floor mats for cars. Who has already bought such mats in their cars? Advise what to buy? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Thank you all in advance.