Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Dont throw away your moms mattress without asking

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:40 am

or (where not to store your life savings)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/20 ... ress_N.htm

JERUSALEM (AP) — An Israeli woman mistakenly threw out a mattress with $1 million inside, setting off a frantic search through tons of garbage at a number of landfill sites, Israeli media reported Wednesday.
The woman told Army Radio that she bought her elderly mother a new mattress as a surprise on Monday and threw out the old one, only to discover that her mother had hidden her life savings inside. She was identified only as Anat, a resident of Tel Aviv.

You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Dont throw away your moms mattress without asking

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:49 am

Who the f*** is stupid enough to keep money in a mattress of all places?
That kind of money (or even much less than that) belongs on a unit-linked life insurance, some sort of bank investment or anything, but not a mattress. I don't blame the woman, I rather despise the mum.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:57 am

File this under: FML; you deserved it.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:58 am

My grandmother used to keep her money in the freezer. Some people just don't trust banks, especially people who survived the great depression. After going through that, no reassurance like the FDIC is going to change your mind.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Sapphire Radeon 6950

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:14 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
My grandmother used to keep her money in the freezer. Some people just don't trust banks, especially people who survived the great depression. After going through that, no reassurance like the FDIC is going to change your mind.

That's just a phobia without a basis. Bad things happen, but that doesn't mean you have to steer clear of the affected things.
For example - and I know this is a far-fetched example -, Hiroshima got a prompt sterilisation treatment. By your thinking, "after going through that", people would be careful and stay away. People don't think like that, the city looks better today than ever.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:17 pm

Interesting editing at USA Today. I initally read about this here:

http://news.aol.com/article/woman-junks ... ess/521794

I noticed there's a bit more detail that makes you less sympathetic to the mother. Such as:

The woman told The Associated Press that she bought her elderly mother a new mattress as a surprise present on Monday — and threw out the old one.

The next day, she said, she remembered that she had hidden her life savings inside the old mattress. "I woke up in the morning screaming, when it hit me what happened," said the Tel Aviv woman, who asked not to be identified.

She went to look for the mattress, but it had already been hauled away by garbage collectors, she said. Searches at three different landfill sites turned up nothing.

So... she got the mattress on Monday. She slept on the new one overnight and only Tuesday morning did she remember that golly, the old mattress had a million in it. She could have remembered on the SAME DAY SHE GOT THE NEW MATTRESS and it was probably still on their curb or hadn't been picked up yet, etc. I also like how she apparently declined to give any other details--not mentioned by USA Today as it also doesn't build sympathy in the reader.

Both stories are just copy from the AP. I wonder if the news outlets get several versions to choose from, depending on their slant, or if they edit it themselves.

I don't have anything against USA Today, btw. I just found the omission of details quite interesting as it painted a bit of a different story.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:21 pm

Meadows wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:

That's just a phobia without a basis. Bad things happen, but that doesn't mean you have to steer clear of the affected things.
For example - and I know this is a far-fetched example -, Hiroshima got a prompt sterilisation treatment. By your thinking, "after going through that", people would be careful and stay away. People don't think like that, the city looks better today than ever.

You are the king of promoting terrible analogies and crapping on useful ones.

I'm sorry, but that's just a horrendously bad analogy.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:22 pm

Meadows wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:

No, people do think like that. Ask around or do some googling, there are many people of the elder generation who store their money in places that aren't banks. Phobia without basis is irrelevent as Turtle was describing actual behavior and the reasons behind it, not making an argument that people should be doing it. Both sets of my grandparents did the same thing. Anecdotal? Sure! But honestly I don't think it was an uncommon practice. If I recall, FDIC insurance for banks came across BECAUSE of the trauma caused by banks collapsing during the depression. If you lived through that, you probably wouldn't be too trusting of the financial industry.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go pour some more money into my 401(k) so that random people can make guesses and tank the value of my investments. Woo hoo!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:36 pm

Meadows wrote:

Correction: It's a phobia WITH a basis. Phobias are, by definition, at least semi-irrational, but once a phobia is established the responses are often quite rational within the phobia's framework. Losing everything you had in a bank failure, without recourse, is one of the most serious breaches of trust a person can experience outside of a failed family relationship. A person in that position is going to have an exceedingly high threshold for trust in the future.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:52 pm

ludi wrote:
Meadows wrote:

Correction: It's a phobia WITH a basis. Phobias are, by definition, at least semi-irrational, but once a phobia is established the responses are often quite rational within the phobia's framework. Losing everything you had in a bank failure, without recourse, is one of the most serious breaches of trust a person can experience outside of a failed family relationship. A person in that position is going to have an exceedingly high threshold for trust in the future.

That doesn't change the fact that a mattress is a bad place. The freezer still sounds twice as good. ;)

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Meadows wrote:
That doesn't change the fact that a mattress is a bad place. The freezer still sounds twice as good. ;)

Imagine my surprise a couple of years ago during a bank examination when my team watched a customer come in with a shopping bag full of dirty, rusted coffee cans. Each can was stuffed full of currency with series dates from the late 1940s to the early 1960s and had clearly spent many years in the ground.

Bank management asked us what to do and we said take the cash on deposit and get all the info they'd need for the inevitable SAR filing.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:02 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Meadows wrote:

Imagine my surprise a couple of years ago during a bank examination when my team watched a customer come in with a shopping bag full of dirty, rusted coffee cans. Each can was stuffed full of currency with series dates from the late 1940s to the early 1960s and had clearly spent many years in the ground.

Bank management asked us what to do and we said take the cash on deposit and get all the info they'd need for the inevitable SAR filing.

Dayum. The currency was probably worth more than face value if it was in good condition, or maybe even if not. Silly person :-/

I'd have paid the bank for some of the notes at face value if I witnessed that :D

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:05 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
Dayum. The currency was probably worth more than face value if it was in good condition, or maybe even if not. Silly person :-/

I'd have paid the bank for some of the notes at face value if I witnessed that :D

The cans had not been well-sealed, and everything just plain stank of old mud & dirt. It took a few days just to gently pull everything apart so that it could be counted.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.