Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

LM Filter
Gerbil First Class

Re: My Poor Basset Hound is Sick

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:12 pm

The vomiting, hypersalivation and tremors are all symptoms of overzealous IV fluid infusion. A 20kg Basset Hound only needs around 1L over 24 hours for maintainence. Seems like the the best course of treatment is what you're currently doing at home so stick with that. Hope she'll continue to improve...
Life goes on ...
long after the thrill of living is gone (JCM)

Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:33 pm

That's excellent news. Seems like she's on her way to a full recovery.
I just wonder what the heck happened to her in the first place but hey, seems like you can't complain much. Also, that Doc seems like a nice guy(don't forget to get him those cookies).
And post a picture of the Basset when she's all good. We want to meet her :D

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:05 am

Yeah, they were pushing the fluids just to flush out her kidneys. I guess it just took a while for her to dry up. Bailey never drinks more than three liters of water on a hot day when she's running around. I figured that a liter would suffice for maintenance.

And more great news! Last night just before I was going to make my recipe, I offered the can of food to Bailey. The food was still in the can, but Bailey was definitely very interested. So, I served a little bit of it up in her food bowl and...she devoured it. I gave her about a third of a can. (I don't want to upset her stomach, so I'm just increasing the amount of food she can have little by little.)

I also forgot to mention that I have been giving her Zantac 75 and now Pepsid -- just the plain kind -- 10mg. That was recommended for the "burping" she was having. It wasn't really a burp, but kind of. You know those burps you have where a little of your last meal comes up with it? Yeah, she was having the same thing. So, the heartburn stuff helped that. The doctor also donated a bottle of Sysopride to help with GI motility. (I'm not sure if that's the actual spelling.) I gave her her first dose yesterday morning. I think that's what did the trick with her having a good appetite and letting her drink more water. I might have to give her the Pepsid for the rest of her life, but that's alright.

And now, the poor thing has fleas. I usually give her Comfortis, but I might wait a while on that. (I've tried Frontline. It doesn't work.)

My GF has a photo somewhere. I'll upload it soon enough.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:50 am

Happy to hear she is doing so much better.

LM Filter
Gerbil First Class

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:53 am

Return of appetite and the ability to keep down fluids are excellent signs and causes for optimism. Keep your food choices conservative for the time being (cheese slices, hard boiled eggs, boiled chicken and maybe boiled rice). You can reintroduce commercial dog food slowly once she demonstrates she can handle the bland diet, usually a week without vomiting or diarrhoea. Be careful about over-adminstration of antacids. Short term use is okay but the one that you're using blocks acid production in the stomach and can lead to serious side effects over the long term.

Keeping my fingers crossed for her continued recovery.
Life goes on ...

long after the thrill of living is gone (JCM)

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:12 pm

LM Filter wrote:
Return of appetite and the ability to keep down fluids are excellent signs and causes for optimism. Keep your food choices conservative for the time being (cheese slices, hard boiled eggs, boiled chicken and maybe boiled rice). You can reintroduce commercial dog food slowly once she demonstrates she can handle the bland diet, usually a week without vomiting or diarrhoea. Be careful about over-adminstration of antacids. Short term use is okay but the one that you're using blocks acid production in the stomach and can lead to serious side effects over the long term.

Keeping my fingers crossed for her continued recovery.

Yup, we've been offering a lot of different foods to her. The canned dog food is the first thing she ate on her own that is actually really good for her.

The Pepsid had been figured that 10mg is the dose for her. The reason being because of the kidney damage she has suffered. There was some value that's been at 4.9 for about a month. If it were at 5.0 the doctor would have recommended euthanization without hesitation. It has come down to about two something. Now, I'll leave it up to the vet that knows way more about what's going on with her to determine when we stop administering these last two drugs, but I will ask about the Pepsid. My knowledge about the situation is about as much as a receptionist at a vet's.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:30 pm

titan wrote:
There was some value that's been at 4.9 for about a month. If it were at 5.0 the doctor would have recommended euthanization without hesitation. It has come down to about two something.

It's probably a liver/digestive enzyme reading. I know if they get too high then the enzymes start to break down the tissue cells and it then becomes an autoimmune problem. At that point because they don't know exactly what they're dealing with, they would recommend euthanization.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:42 pm

As a long-time sufferer of serious acid reflux, I have great sympathy for any animal with similar problems.

FWIW, I had a liver-stimulating-hormone level that was way up past the 'critical' marks on my blood work, last time I went, several years ago. I've pretty much written it off to 'wrath of god' and gotten on with my life, hopefully your basset will have it easier.
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15
Rocinante - E5530 testing machine
Saratoga, Ticonderoga, BunkerHill - the Hydra desktop PC-thing.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:19 am

Well, that dog of mine absolutely positively needs to be wherever I am. I was helping my neighbor with a coop, and Bailey was just whining away as if I were physically torturing her. So, I relent and bring her down and my neighbor had a stake for me to use so I didn't have to hang onto her lead.

Bailey was a great help. She sniffed our work to make sure it was good. Licked our faces when we were lining things up. She sat inside the coop testing for comfort.

But, the most disconcerting is that she is still eating grass. Funny thing is that she didn't vomit at all even though she ate a lot of grass.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:11 am

Hi titan,

Just wanted to say that I was glad to hear your dog seems to be better. I was about to euthanize my cat last week and I could just see something in his eyes that said he wasn't dying, just really sick. I'm glad I didn't, after a rough 2 days, and a vet visit of course, he's in much better spirits. I think owners doubt themselves and listen to a vet's advice first and foremost when it may not be the best advice. We know our pets behaviors best and while not medically trained, we connect to them and know when it's time. A vet I no longer care to give my business to wanted to put my mo-mo cat down 4 months ago.

Yesterday I got him a steroid injection as an anti-inflammatory and I continue to give him SubQ fluids every day. He's doing really well for a 16 year old kitty. Hope your progress continues!
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | Asus 1080GTX | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W | Asus ROG Swift Gsync 27"

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:08 pm

I wish spammers would stop sending me notifications about their new (and already removed) posts on this thread. FWIW, my liver stimulating hormone levels got down to downright healthy when I quit smoking, even though I still enjoy nicotine. Not terribly relevant, but I felt like saying. Back to the crypt, undead thread!
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15
Rocinante - E5530 testing machine
Saratoga, Ticonderoga, BunkerHill - the Hydra desktop PC-thing.