Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: TR BBQ ~VII~ Official Thread (Say what?)

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:50 pm

I'll take it!!!
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Consider it taken. :)

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:13 am

The grill in the first post is officially ours! I'm very glad, cheaper than the roaster and loaded with more features. The smoker and corn boiling pots will be nice. And the flamethrower of course! :D Now I just need to find a good source for bulk chunk charcoal... ;)

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:04 am

drfish wrote:
I'll repeat again that camping is welcome. Yard or beach is all good. Night before and night after are options... Just get with me first.

If i get the friday off work I'll take you up on that, I've got a reasonably nice tent my dad has passed to me that I haven't used yet.
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Sounds like fun - and the makings of a before and after party. :)

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:47 pm

BTW I would like to point out that it will just be me this year attending. Also I would prefer hickory or Mesquite for smoking, still I might look at some general lump charcoal. The biggest issue is going to be searing these before they go into the smoker.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:18 am

I've got to find a decent place for such supplies - grilling is not my forte but I will find what you need if you tell me exactly what you want and how much.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:40 pm

drfish wrote:
I've got to find a decent place for such supplies - grilling is not my forte but I will find what you need if you tell me exactly what you want and how much.

lol you act like I own a smoker or something! I don't. So I don't have a clue.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:46 pm

drfish wrote:

Have at:

http://www.barbecue-store.com/Woods-Pellets_c_169.html
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: TR BBQ ~VII~ Official Thread (less than a month away!)

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:47 am

That's just a little intimidating... Like if I sent grandma a link to NewEgg. ;) I was actually hoping to find somewhere local but it's a start.

Less than a month away now guys! :) I for one am really looking forward to not having to stress about imposing on anyone this year - it's mine, all mine! Should we try anything new? Loud noises and general mayhem will be far more acceptable this year... It'll be nicer for having a larger group stay late for the beach fire and s'mores too.

Seems like about time to bug Damage and get an update about him or other TR staff coming or not...

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:03 pm

Flamethrower is a go! YES!!
Can Captain Ned and his famous potato gun make it this year?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:06 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Flamethrower is a go! YES!!
Can Captain Ned and his famous potato gun make it this year?

Negative, GhostRider, the pattern is full.

Believe me, I do plan to get to one of these. I just need a driver. Not only does bringing the potato gun add miles and an extra day each way (no way I'm taking that contraption through Customs/Douane on the shortcut through Ontario, which makes a 760 mile one-way into a 950 mile, which is beyond my one-day capacity), but I've also got to sell a 3-4 day trip to SWMBO.

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:13 pm

drfish wrote:
I'll repeat again that camping is welcome. Yard or beach is all good. Night before and night after are options... Just get with me first.

What are the temps like at night? I could be interested in some camping, as long as I could take an indoor shower in the morning.

By the way, I've taken the days off to either fly or drive up. I just need to decide which is more interesting to me; driving gives me the ability to do something like haul some mesquite with me for you guys to practice smoking. Flying is... faster. That's basically the only benefit.

Flying Fox wrote:
I thought there was someone from Texas joining the BBQ? So that's not an excuse for Texans? :P

I am from Texas; go ahead and put my name down as an attendee. Yeehaw!
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:09 am

Temps toward the end of August are probably going to be around the mid 60s or high 50s. Indoor shower would be no problem.

Glad you a re planning on making it! Now we need to find out if your or Xylker get the crown for all time distance traveled... ;)

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:12 pm

drfish wrote:
Temps toward the end of August are probably going to be around the mid 60s or high 50s. Indoor shower would be no problem.

cool! har har.

Okay, I'll drive into town on the 21st, and drive out of town on the 22nd. I'd like to camp, if possible!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: TR BBQ ~VII~ Official Thread (18 days to go!)

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 am

Sweet, sounds like a plan!

Anyone from the unconfirmed list want to speak up and let me us know if you're coming or not? The confirmed list is pretty short and I just want to know better how to plan logistics wise... We'll have more freedom to do whatever this year than ever so I was kind of hoping it would be a larger crowd than normal. :)

And to anyone who's never made it out before, no cliché comments about getting out of your basements and into the sun for once, but seriously, summer will be/is coming to a close soon, get out and do something fun and different - join your fellow geeks on the beach! :D

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Re: TR BBQ ~II~ Non Official NW Thread (7 days to go!)

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:53 pm

I should have checked with Lickety, but next week this time will be another Non-official TR NW BBQ @ Soap Lake, Wa. 11th - 13th. See you there!
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Crap...i thought it was this week...expected u last night...phew.....did i get away with one there :lol: Hance says he wants a piece of your heine on the course...Hoser does too...but he wont show...you know canadians suck :wink:

He(Hoser) even agreed to give me 3 strokes a side...i lobbied for 5 but thats all the cheap fart would go with!
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:23 pm

drfish wrote:
Anyone from the unconfirmed list want to speak up and let me us know if you're coming or not? The confirmed list is pretty short and I just want to know better how to plan logistics wise... We'll have more freedom to do whatever this year than ever so I was kind of hoping it would be a larger crowd than normal. :)

If I must
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:01 am

drfish wrote:
Sweet, sounds like a plan!

My wife, daughter and I will be there - so you can 'confirm' us.
We are planning on trying to come out a little earlier and leave a little earlier to drive home as we aren't staying overnight once again. :)

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:30 am

Is it OK to talk about the BBQ hardware swap in this thread - like what are people bringing / looking for?

Or do we need a thread created in the bargain basement like in the past?

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Talking here is fine with me, anything to give the thread a little more action! :wink:

I just added a Raptor-X to the list of things I'll have there...

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:19 pm

drfish wrote:
Talking here is fine with me, anything to give the thread a little more action! :wink:

I just added a Raptor-X to the list of things I'll have there...

Can I see your list? 8)

I might actually make an effort to bring some stuff this year. Possibly including:

Trade/Sale:
-(4) IDE 500GB hard drives
-PCI Adaptec IDE RAID5 adapter
-Older motherboards
-1-2 year old Panasonic digital hard drive camcorder w/ extra battery, bag, cables - we rarely use it, it's basically new
-Playstation Portable (silver 2nd gen) with a crapload of extras and games - 8GB SD card - never gets touched anymore since my wife moved onto ipod/iphone
-Hauppauge MCE500 dual PCI TV Tuner

Sale:
-4 month old 3d gen Ipod Touch 32GB w/ earbuds & USB cable - perfect condition front w/ screen protector applied and very very minor abrasisons on metal back, comes with purple hard shell case = (ask for price)

Looking for:
-Wireless-N capable Mini-PCI laptop NIC
-PCI-E TV HD/QAM tuner (dual preferred)
-1TB+ hard drive(s)
-Copy of Win7-64 compatible software for BluRay playback like WinDVD (bought a BR drive without software, DOH)
-eSATA external HD case
-Legal, sealed copies of Windows 7

edited to hide desired sale price for ipod touch
Last edited by FroBozz_Inc on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: TR BBQ ~VII~ Official Thread (12 (or fewer) days to go!)

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:54 pm

To make sure that the Bargain Basement rules are not transgressed here, those heading to the BBQ with stuff to trade must limit their posts to a "Sgt. Joe Friday" list of what they have and what they want. The merest whiff of pricing will move this thread off the 'Porch.

Thanks for listening.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: TR BBQ ~VII~ Official Thread (12 (or fewer) days to go!)

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:48 pm

From my earlier post:
I have about 20 36GB Raptors (BYORAID, sorry), maybe 5 250GB WD RE SATA HDs, half a dozen 250GB+ 7200rpm laptop hard drives, a 30GB and 128GB J-Micro SSD (disclaimer, I retired them for Indilinx based drives for a reason), a couple of barely used large-ish Wacom Intuos Tablets, my old pair of 8800GTXs and some other misc. crap.

Those plus the Raptor-X and maybe a pair of 30GB Vertex SSDs if I decide to part with them... Oh and one of the 8800GTXs is already spoken for now...

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: TR BBQ ~VII~ Official Thread (10 days to go!)

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:07 am

Is anyone coming even interested in a huge stack of 36GB Raptors? I'm wondering if it will be worth my time to format and test them all... Even an 8 port RAID card will only get your 250GBs of usable space or so and you'll need to spend $250 at least to get something even semi-decent... OTOH if you need cheap fast drives for small builds that don't need much space and you don't care about noise, maybe...? Anyone?

StrangeDay
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:21 pm

drfish wrote:

We're not going to be able to make it this year. Sorry guys! Long story short, there's just too much going on right now. I'm really hoping we'll be able to make it next year. We all look forward to the BBQ, but ... things are rough this year.

Ninja Edit: I hope you guys all have a blast! I really wish we could go! :(

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: TR BBQ ~VII~ Official Thread (one week to go!)

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:53 am

Thanks for the well wishes, hope to see you next year then.

Can confirmed attendees start posting what they are going to bring??? Kind of got a late start on filling that in this year... :o

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:27 am

I could stop at a store and pick up cake or cookies or something. Otherwise, I'm bringing a duffle and a tent.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:50 am

Sounds good! I put myself down for grilling/smoking supplies as well as sweet corn (hopefully from the farmers market that morning). I could use volunteers for bringing raw veggies, chips, soda, plates, napkins, cups, silverware, potato salads, baked beans, etc... ;) Also extra card tables and chairs never hurt (we got Catan and Carcassonne if anyone in interested). I've got my bean bag game, I'm assuming z-man and FroBozz will both bring theirs?

BTW guys, be sure to bring your swim suits this year, the lake is warmer than it has been in years! I swear it was about 75F yesterday. Unreal! :D