Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ApockofFork
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Turtle Tank Advice

Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi Everyone!

I have a pair of turtles that out grew their last tank and I recently picked up this gigantic 50 gallon tank for them (1ft x 1.75 ft x 4 ft). I had a small filter and recieved a small filter with the tank however they clearly are not cutting it. I know there are a few aquatic life experts on these forums and was wondering if the experts among you have any advice as to how to filter this beast. I would prefer not to spend too much money. Turtles produce a rather a large amount of waste which is the primary concern. As it is I tend to feed them outside the tank to avoid getting food particles in their tank but if I could create a filter setup that would be able to handle food particles as well it would be nice. I wouldn't actually be filling the tank all the way to the top (maybe half way at most). The plan is also to put gravel or rocks of some sort on the bottom of the tank. I already have some floating "dock" things for them to climb out onto.

The huge variety and seeming large cost of tank filters has left me very confused on the matter and I'm really hoping some of you guys can help clear that confusion.

Thanks In advance!!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Turtle Tank Advice

Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:59 pm

what sort of turtles are they?
I go with bare tanks for my turtles (mud and sliders) and a powerful Fluval 350 external canister filter.

be aware depending on the species, a 50 gallon tank is woefully inadequate, particularly for females. Large softshells can hit 2' in carapace length. Big snappers can hit 50 lbs in weight. Some map and painted turtles get rather large too. Even big red ear slider females can get well over a foot (males substaintially smaller, more like 6-9").
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Spotpuff
Gerbil

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:16 pm

I have 3 red eared sliders and a fairly large tank (no idea of actual size but it's pretty big) and they are about 15 years old. I didn't fill the tank to the top either and use a Fluval canister filter; I believe mine's a 350 as well. It's a really good filter; I used to use an in-water filter but it was horrible and the water got dirty very fast.

I tried some other brand of filter; can't remember the name but it was a "big name" brand in filters and it was expensive. It was horrible; the Fluval was easier to set up and does the job, a better job, wasn't as hard to start/prime when you change the water, allows for more media slots for carbon/ammonia remover/whatever, more foam filtration and better flow rate.

One or more of the turtles is female (keep finding broken eggs) but they are not that big, probably 8" long.

silent ninjah
Gerbil First Class

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:18 pm

I saw this thread title and thought it was about starcraft 2.
Q9550 @ stock | 8GB DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15 | Gainward GTX 460 GS GLH | Asus P5Q SE/R | Scythe Mugen | OCZ StealthXstream 600w | Antec 300 | Zalman ZM-MFC1+ | 1TB WD Caivar Black | Audigy SE 7.1 | Logitech X-540 | HG281D 28" | Razer Diamondback| Win7x64

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:43 pm

ApockofFork
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Well I decided to try filterless for a bit and just got a tube thingy to try to suck up dirt and water. I was planning on using it every once in awhile to change a portion of the water. Filters just seem unnecessarily expensive especially when you count the actual filter materials.

As for the turtles. I have a male and a female red eared slider. They're 5 and 4 years old so the tank seems about the right size for them. There is plenty of room to swim around and a place for them come up and bask.