The reason most people are having to watch their weight to begin with has more to do with how much they eat vs. what they eat.
Completely and utterly wrong. The problem is 100% what you eat - sugar, particularly any kind containing fructose.
Your body does not know what to do with fructose. It sends it right to your liver - just like any other toxin. Even ethanol is metabolized easier and isn't as hard on your body. While glucose is your primary form of fuel and metabolized throughout your body, often slowly, this is what happens to fructose:
- Breaks down into a large amount of immediately stored
fat. This doesn't happen to anything else.
- Breaks down into uric acid, raising your blood pressure and causing hypertension that leads to strokes and heart attacks.
- Breaks down into LDL cholesterol, the bad kind that stimulates arterial plaque and turns the walls brown.
- Instantly causes an abnormal blood sugar spike, which leads to a massive insulin response that:
- Makes you hungrier by blocking leptin, the receptor in your brain that inhibits appetite.
- Makes you lethargic by taking your body's fuel out of your blood. Ever felt tired after eating? That's not right.
- Increases insulin resistance, ultimately leading to type 2 diabetes.
- Increases leptin resistance, ultimately leading to obesity and insatiable hunger.
- Overworkers your liver, potentially scarring it and causing cirrhosis. There is a record number of people dying
of cirrhosis of the liver who don't drink alcohol.
As if that weren't enough, sugar also feeds cancer cells!
So it's precisely what
you eat, not about how much you eat or exercise. Fructose is added to practically all pre-prepared foods
. Have fun finding bread without it. Even milk often has it.
High fructose corn syrup, and other processed sugars that rely on fructose to taste sweet, have been increasingly subsidized and used to mask the void of flavor in low fat food. You can trace the prevalence of metabolic syndrome and corresponding obesity, type 2 diabetes, and hypertension epidemics to its introduction and continuous rise.
If you eat a bunch of real vegetables, coconuts, meat, and fish, completely loaded with fat and all the calories that come from it, you aren't going to turn into a balloon with a reduced life expectancy. In fact, you would be the pinnacle of healthiness. Look at any Mediterranean culture, regardless of the particular country or ethnicity. On top of no obesity epidemic, they also have little to no problem with heart disease, diabetes, and many types, if not most types, of cancer.
Soda portion sizes going from 8 oz to 32+ oz is the argument the media and politicians typically uses to blame "food" portions.
Yes, portion size has been going up - of processed
junk. You can't even call it food. Soda isn't food. It's liquified processed sugar. The same applies to your ice cream example.