Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Serialnuker
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Hey i have an old laptop hard drive could i.....

Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:17 pm

I have an old 810 meg laptop hard drive, i was wondering if i could make it into a flash/fire wire/ usb thing(not all of them just one)

I know it wouldnt be easy but i think it would be fun, any comments or suggjestions on how to get started or any thing like that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Serial
When i talk smack it is usually cause i will win. If i dont talk smack, it is usually cause ill win, but since your bigger, i dont want you to beat the shiz outta me.

Serialnuker
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:46 am

Uh the laptop hard drive is verysmall, and it has a plastic (uh i forget the technical term) strip going to a 50 pin converter, like it is the hard drive, than it has a plastic strip and it is solder onto a thing that looks like this

|-------------------------|
|-------------------------|
each one of the - is a gold pin kinda thing, if you need pics, or they would help please pm me cause i think an 810 meg usb(or what ever) pen dirve would be sweet.

Thanks,
Serial
When i talk smack it is usually cause i will win. If i dont talk smack, it is usually cause ill win, but since your bigger, i dont want you to beat the shiz outta me.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:42 pm

FWIW, The reason pen drives are great is because they can be powered by the USB's half amp... I'm betting a laptop drive wouldn't...

If you're still going to power it by the mains that point doesn't really matter, but I thought it was worth considering...

As to how you would do it...

erm...

Good luck :-D,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

Steel
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:42 pm

IntelMole wrote:
FWIW, The reason pen drives are great is because they can be powered by the USB's half amp... I'm betting a laptop drive wouldn't...

Mine is. Just have to make sure the USB port can provide the full 500mA.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:13 am

Well, that's one hurdle out of the way...

Anybody know of any IDE -> USB converters etc.?

The only like I can find is this one: link...

But I don't know, do laptop IDE cables differ?
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem