Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:00 am

Congratulations, man!
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Baby

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:01 am

Congratulations. I envy you!
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:05 am

How is babby--

j/k

Congratulations!
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:44 am

6 lbs 12 oz, 19" long.

Finally got some sleep last night; I took over baby duty for 4-5 hours while wife slept, he started fussing so I woke her up to feed, then we swapped over. Feels amazing to have had some sleep.

Right now he's eating.

He better not be as fragile as he looked or he wouldn't have survived birth; they had to get a vacumn in to rearrange him since he got hung up on the pelvic bone (ow ow ow ow).
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Congrats Paul! Way to go!
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

BIF

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:03 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
He better not be as fragile as he looked or he wouldn't have survived birth; they had to get a vacumn in to rearrange him...

That sucks!

Bada-boom!

Seriously, happy for you and happy that everybody is healthy! Congrats and don't let him eat any case screws or thumbdrives!

trackerben

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:23 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Finally got some sleep last night...

You need all the sleep and respite you can wangle. Get a classic Boppy pillow and try experimenting with it as a stable sleep platform for him on top of your chairs or your lap or by your side. It's shaped generally like the alien ship in the movie Prometheus, and that form and its size will allow you to wrap one end around the arm of your office chair or sofa and soft enough to wedge the other between your body and the seat. I used to let my baby kid's tiny arm hang off a side with no ill effects.

Great for keeping him cozy and tight with you if that's what calms him, so that you are free to do stuff at your desk. With practice you can prop up the bottle on one arm. Very useful as a lap bed everywhere you can sit down. Most useful gift we ever got aside from a baby tub.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:32 am

right now he's responding well to swaddling, so I'm keeping him swaddled in a bassinet by my PC. It's an easy to move bassinet so we just kind of cart it to whereever.

My folks are now coming up early for Thanksgiving; I'm personally surprised my mom held out as long as she did since she's been wanting a grandkid for 5-6 years now.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:49 am

'Grats! Looking good! Several of my friends got brand new (unused!) babies within the last year or so. Therefore I have a general idea of what it's like to have one. Not too easy but it seems everyone enjoys it for some reason. Hope you do too.

I hear the manufacturing process is not so easy and resulting product really depends on good supporting skills. :)

BIF

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:35 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
right now he's responding well to swaddling, so I'm keeping him swaddled in a bassinet by my PC...

My contacts are dry this evening and I first read that as "in my PC...". I spent a couple of seconds considering how small the bassinet would have to be or how big the PC would have to be. :o

Then I re-read your sentence. Whew, what a relief! :oops: :lol:

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:54 am

I highly recommend you get the "Happiest Baby on the Block" book and/or DVD. Priceless!

Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:41 pm

Congrats! Just 18 hours ago I had my first one.

7lbs 14oz and 20". Semi planned C section about 5 days before due date. So far so good, he's nursing well and sleeping when his needs are attended to.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Congrats.

Expect to get some sleep after 10 years :) (if you have more)

I think the first year is the easiest and most difficult.

Easy that they mainly eat, sleep and lie down without moving around.

Difficult that they are up all night (mine were anyway), and they can't communicate when something is wrong, and the learning curve.

But when you walk in after a crap day of work and they run at you smiling, you forget about work pretty fast.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:03 pm

First year: Learning every back road within a 50-mile radius as she simply wouldn't sleep unless in actual automotive motion.

Third/Fifth years: The only spot I ever had of unconditional "Hi Daddy" love.

[/long time passing]

High School: A polysyllabic grunt is deep conversation. Evidence of lack of homework completion from the school web site reduces grunts to monosyllabic. Deep parental concern over Permanent Record and subsequent University hopes squeezes out all grunts and produces rush to bedroom and insulation from parental impositions.

Need to find alternative.

[/Candidia Smith-Foster]

Please don't Google that, I'd like to find someone else who knows the cite.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:09 am

Thebolt wrote:
Congrats! Just 18 hours ago I had my first one.
Congratulations on successfully reproducing!
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:14 pm

Darkmage wrote:
Congratulations on successfully reproducing!

Turns out it doesn't take a degree in rocket science to figure it out - who knew? Fortunately the wife and kid will be headed to VA in a few weeks to spend the better part of a year. He can absorb some of the wisdom that the commonwealth has to offer.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:12 pm

it would take violence, or tons and tons of money, to separate me from my wife and baby for a year.
Thebolt, post pictures :D

Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:29 pm

In my case violence is sort of accurate; mother Army is sending me off to Afghanistan for a while. Not exactly tons of money but it's about a 18k$/year effective pay raise while I'm there. Coupled with reduced expenses on the whole it will certainly help a good bit.

First car ride (home) on Tuesday afternoon.

greenmystik
Gerbil First Class

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Congrats and remember, the babies are not supposed to outnumber the parents. Keep that in mind when you have quiet time with the mommy.
If practice makes perfect, but nobodies perfect, then why practice?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Hope your deployment goes well; the kid's adorable :D

annabel

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Awww look at the cute sweet little squishy ball of loveliness and the little tiny fingers and the little nose and ... Uhm.. Uh yeah, Congratulations :D

(Time to get married and get baby making I thinks)
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:52 pm

If you think babies are squishy... maybe not.
;)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:55 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
If you think babies are squishy... maybe not.
;)

Methinks Bel knows a thing or two about babies.

annabel

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:33 pm

I've squished many a chubby little squishy baby thigh. Plus since I'll be squishing the baby out of me, I'm pretty sure I can call it squishy if I like. Hmmmph
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!

server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:43 pm

annabel wrote:
I've squished many a chubby little squishy baby thigh. Plus since I'll be squishing the baby out of me, I'm pretty sure I can call it squishy if I like. Hmmmph

I bet it doesn't feel very squishy on the way out... :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I bet it doesn't feel very squishy on the way out... :lol:

My wife can agree. After the suction cup popped off and the OB-GYN almost fell back through a glass-fronted cabinet full of surgical tools, she got out the salad spoons (forceps) and fished/dragged my daughter out. We were within one failed push of an emergency C-Section (and we were already in the OB-GYN OR) when daughter finally decided to leave the roost. Daughter went straight to NICU while the attending OB-GYN ordered some morphine for my wife and I was left in a dilemma of which way do I go? I got some ice chips & water for the wife and headed up to NICU to make sure all was OK up there.

Given what I had witnessed with #1 and knowing that we were both in our late 30s when we even broached the subject of #2, the decision to stop there and spend the weekend with the bags of frozen peas was an easy one.

superjawes

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Ya'll can have fun. I'll make the decision on children later...

But since we're on the subject...In order, I was an emergency C-section. I basically got stuck, and apparently there was an audible popping sound when I finally came out. My sister got the forceps treatment and ended up with a bruised face. My brother was a planned C-section about two weeks before the due date and was 9 lbs 12 oz (4.42 kgs).

Any children I have will be planned well in advance.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:29 am

You hope.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?