Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Who is The Most Worthy?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Forge - For risking a lifetime forum ban by giving Damage bunny ears in the group photo
8 (15%)
Mrs. Shoes - For being Ellie's buddy all day and basically making it possible for her and Mrs. Fish to attend
10 (19%)
Colt - For this photo
3 (6%)
ClickClick5 - For riding 2,429 miles round trip on a crotch rocket to attend
13 (25%)
Sheldomaus - For his "my fingers smell funny!" outburst and raw unrestrained excitment over owning so much lube
3 (6%)
Mrs. Frobozz - For letting Stiffie beat her at bean bags leading the way for him to become the Golden Cupcake
2 (4%)
Damage - For knocking off Skuzzy's head, botching the give away numbers, and deadpanning, "I haven't gotten that old yet" in response to Ned's, "Sometimes the spud just doesn't want to cooperate."
7 (13%)
thegleek - For almost turning a paper lantern into a submarine and demonstrably incredible situational awareness
6 (12%)

Total votes: 52

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: TR BBQ ~X~ Official Thread

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:43 am

Sorry, it's in the window and pointing though a screen so it can't really really move much.

Also, hardware swap looks to have started early this year. :o

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:45 am

drfish wrote:
Also, hardware swap looks to have started early this year. :o

Nothing like people practising the tourney while discussing Dells and firewalls! :D

Have a shot of the swap? ;)

Ninja: saw a lady with a nice high parabolic baggo shot right into the hole!

Ninja 2: people are consistently hitting the box at the very least! Looks like the shiny Haswell is a real good motivating factor.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:59 pm

I feel like a total stalker watching that live stream from the BBQ and checking out everyone's bums when they bend over.

Yep. I'm checking out your bums.
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

Victorious Secret
Gerbil

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:42 pm

I can't believe I let Stiffie beat me at the bean bag tournament. :o

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Next time you guys should use some kind of PTZ cam for livestreaming, to move it around (or let others control it :o ), or perhaps even get a quadcopter and stream from it for a while (there are ways to do it)...

annabel wrote:
Yep. I'm checking out your bums.

:o http://youtu.be/_JphDdGV2TU?
...and speaking of this: you guys should've done a livestream karaoke or something :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

annabel

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:30 pm

I totally need to go to this next year. I've been threatening it for too long, it has to happen now
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!

server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:10 am

I had a great time at the BBQ again this year. My son had a great time playing with the other kids and swimming in Lake Michigan. We got to build some sand castles on the beach, blow huge bubbles, eat some wonderful ribs, hot-dogs, smores, and just generally enjoy a whole day of fun.

Meeting Ellie in person was excellent, she looks so healthy and I even got a smile when I asked about graphics cards!

The fireworks display was superb this year! We were totally spoiled by the huge display.

Damage Jr. plays a mean game of baggo, too.

Thanks to all who participated in making this event such a blast.
I have nothing more to say about that.

Xorathis
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:54 am

Thank you everyone for making my first TR BBQ a day and night to remember. The food, games and activities, fireworks and people that I met were all great. Had an awesome time. Can't wait for next year!

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:39 pm

Good times. No I survived the TR BBQ medal? :)

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks to everyone for coming, we had a great time hosting as always! A special thanks again to zgirl our Master Chef with additional special thanks to the terrific group of helpers I count on every year to make this look easy, you know who you are, thank you so much. :oops:

Album is up, covering everything from early Saturday morning until just a little bit ago! http://bbq.dr_fish.speedymail.org/2013/ Wish we had some shots from Friday night and Jr. Damage kicking butt on the Wii U/Luigi's Ghost Mansion...

I didn't take much video but here's one of our zen bubble master BeechSprout at work (155MB, 1080p):
http://bbq.dr_fish.speedymail.org/2013/ ... 17_040.mp4

My only regret is the I didn't have much time to get to know our new attendees but I hope to have a chance to try that again next year - we aim to be worth a return trip. ;) With help from some other great minds I'm already dreaming up ideas for next time, raft upgrades, a better glow stick catapult, improvements to the Livestream now that we have more bandwidth to work with, bigger bubbles, and almost definitely other stuff that hasn't even occurred to me yet - of course more of all the same things we always do too.

We do have the matter of the Wasson Cup to resolve. We elected to do something a little different this year so please post your nomination for "the most worthy" and after we've collected a few I'll make it a poll with a week or so to vote on the winner. I would like to start the nominations with Sheldomaus for his particularity random, "my hands fingers smell funny!" outburst. What other memorable moments epic or fail do you have to share?
Last edited by drfish on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Just got home, another fantastic win for drfish as host. Thank you can't even begin to cover it.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:27 pm

I have another Wasson Cup nomination, gleek's near failure to launch when he almost deep-sixed the paper lantern.

Dposcorp

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:02 pm

idchafee wrote:
Just got home, another fantastic win for drfish as host. Thank you can't even begin to cover it.

++ Thank to our host family, the awesome cook and all the attendees who showed up, and chipped in with items and/or cash.

Great to meet Ellie, and see her smile. She made a lot of friends.

I cant overstate how nice, polite and easy going everyone is.......really nice to just sit and chat with people who were formerly just screen names.
It was great to meet the first time attendees, and I hope it was as much fun for you all as we make it seem every year when we post the after pics and videos. lol

We forgot to get a final total for the BBQ FF league, so any new comers who want to be in, keep an eye out for the official thread; I know a few people mentioned it to me.
Speaking of that, I have one video of everyone eating and relaxing, and we brought up the time a FF team was left un-attended at the end of the season , and this "ghost ship" beat Stiffie in the play offs. lol

Hopefully this video link works:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B01YMXR ... AtQlk/edit

The rest of the pics and vids I have I am gonna send to Damage to post as he sees fit.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Once again, great to see everyone I've met in the past, and awesome to meet new people.

Forge, I just reloaded the laptop, it's excellent...and I've already ordered a backlit keyboard for it on Fleabay since I could get a new one for a very reasonable price. I might have to get an SSD for this baby and turn it into my daily driver.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

Dposcorp

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Speaking of Forge, there may be a banning in your future. lol

http://sdrv.ms/14szXRU

Victorious Secret
Gerbil

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Thank you very much for yet another very successful BBQ! I think I can sum it up in one word... Amazing! Special thanks go out to the "Fish" family for their hospitality and generosity, ZGirl for the most awesome BBQ food, and Ellie for making me smile. :D I had a great time and look forward to TRBBQ XI!

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:58 pm

The lantern coming so close to splashdown for so long before final liftoff was epic... 8) Those things were great.

SHOES
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:50 pm

The BBQ was a huge success this year, great to see so many new faces and old ones as well! I want to thank everyone for the contributions to the fireworks fund, especially Eitje as his contributions matched my own. (thank you!!) Everyone had such a good time cant wait till next year!

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Stopped in Omaha NE for tonight! 14 hour travel today with lots of construction fun...

Anyway, yes, ++++ for drfish for hosting the party! I'll defiantly be back next year, either by plane or possibly train...a train sounds fun...but not by bike next time. :-?
From arriving at 3:30ish PM till leaving around 11PM, I had a blast! Truly nice to put a face to a name!

EDIT: Next year, lets launch the lanterns all at once for more epic greatness! With the fireworks firing around them? :o
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:38 am

I'd like to express a huge "thank you" to drfish and Mrs. fish for hosting another fantastic event, pitmaster zgirl for cooking up a fantastic batch of BBQ, and to everyone else who helped make the BBQ a success. I'd also like to give a shout-out to to Damage and the sponsors for providing the prizes for the bags tournament and other geeky goodies.

Other random musings...

The weather was great, neither too hot or too cold; couldn't have asked for better. I pitched a tent and overnighted in the back yard. Seriously thought about taking the tent down to the beach, but decided I'd rather not get everything full of sand, and I'd also have to haul everything back up in the morning if I did that (those stairs are longer and steeper than they look).

Drfish's LED beach light poles (anyone get a pic?) were the perfect geeky touch (along with the traditional overclocked fire pit) for the after-hours socializing down on the beach.

The fireworks display was amazing this year. The novelty "laptop" one (not part of the main display, it was lit after we had all moved down to the beach) also gave a pretty good impression of a runaway lithium-ion battery fire! :lol:

Hey Damage/Inkling, did you register that new domain name yet? :wink: :lol:

I have no freaking idea how we managed this, but Starfalcon and I somehow got turned around after leaving and ended up in Grand Haven (20 miles in the wrong direction).

Traveler's tip (fortunately not a navigational one, see above item): If you're coming through SW Michigan on I-94 and want to stop for a bite to eat, get off at the Sawyer exit; skip the travel plaza at the interchange, and cross the railroad tracks into town. Greenbush Brewery has great sandwiches and lighter fare. I encourage everyone to support local businesses whenever possible instead of the big homogenized corporate chains. You can even get their fresh brewed (and consistently fan-damn-tastic!) beer in 6 oz sampler glasses so you can try a couple or three different ones and still drive safe & legal; get a half gallon "growler" of your favorite to go for later, and have it refilled the next time you're passing through. (My wife and I have known about this place for a couple of years; now you know about it too!)

I managed to get rid of all the surplus computer gear I brought. As predicted, Starfalcon took everything that was left after everyone else had picked it over. Between that and all the other PC carcasses and parts he picked up we had quite a few loads to haul up to his apartment. I have to say, his stash of parts is a *lot* better organized than mine is! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:48 am

just brew it! wrote:
Drfish's LED beach light poles (anyone get a pic?) were the perfect geeky touch (along with the traditional overclocked fire pit) for the after-hours socializing down on the beach.

Sadly I did not, but here are the ones I took worth posting.

Fantastic sunset. Now also my phone's wallpaper: http://i.imgur.com/U6qkFGp.jpg
Campfire being started with a flamethrower: http://i.imgur.com/DyE9FnD.jpg
Captain Ned loading the potato cannon: http://i.imgur.com/TynFWru.jpg
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:03 am

I'll put up some pictures later. Just arriving back at my house now.
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:46 am

drfish wrote:
I have another Wasson Cup nomination, gleek's near failure to launch when he almost deep-sixed the paper lantern.

Or him standing right next to me down on the beach and going, "Hey, where's JBI?"

Sheldomaus
Gerbil

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:58 am

As always we had another excellent BBQ this year. Fantastic cooking by zgirl. Awesome fireworks, and so much more. It was nice seeing everyone again regulars, and new peeps. I really do hope everyone had a fantastic time and plans on showing up next year. Also Dr_fish I said my fingers smell funny, but I think that would happen after playing with a bucket of lube.
Mind my grammar as you will explode!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:32 am

I got one fairly poor picture of the light tubes...

Also, the LiveSteam will be online until October 17th - unless someone discovers something terrible while watching it and I need to take it down sooner. I do have a 13.8GB nearly 15 hour long hard copy though, suitable for archiving but not public enough for embarrassment. I took 20 minutes or so last night to poke around at it and it's amazing the scope of the thing and all that you miss just by being part of something else somewhere off camera. It made me much more excited about the Livestream for next year...

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:17 am

I just want to thank everyone for coming, bringing what you could and of course a big thanks to DrFish and Mrs_Fish for being such amazing hosts. I could not do what I do without his help. As much as I appreciated the little token of gratitude he gave me. Sadly I am not one for grand moments like that and did not know what to day other than thank you. Really without the efforts of drfish the BBQ could not happen!

I also want to thank the entire fish clan for allowing us to invade their little slice of paradise make a ton of noise(gleek), a colossal mess and still letting us come back each year.

Also thank you to everyone who pitched in and help when and where needed. You know who you are and your efforts were not missed.

I look back on that little backyard gathering 10 years ago and I am still amazed we are still doing it and have gotten so large. When I finally sat down to eat myself I looked around and was floored by the number of people we had. We had about 15 people that first year? With over 60 this year!! :o

For example:

And those are just the ones sitting around me at that time. More were down at the beach and off camera.

My only regret was not getting to spend some time with Ellie. I got so see her briefly when she first arrived. Yet by the time I was able to have some time to myself she was gone. It was great to see her and I totally plan on seeing more of her soon outside the BBQ. The Fishes know what I am referring too.

I am also glad that I could be in the bean bag tournament. I know it is rather unfair and a few people groaned when they saw where they were in regards to me in the bracket. Still I really do enjoy participating. Next year I think I will do a poll and the attendees can vote on my participation.

My favorite part was this:
Victorious Secret wrote:
I can't believe I let Stiffie beat me at the bean bag tournament. :o

You should hear him, he still cannot believe he won.

Thank you all for coming and I am just glad it went without any major issues and that everyone enjoyed themselves so much. The people, the atmosphere, the fun, and most importantly to me, the food. I hope to see you all next year and please if you are new walk up and say hi. I am so busy it is hard to get around to everyone!

Looking forward to 2014!!
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:34 am

just brew it! wrote:
drfish wrote:

Or him standing right next to me down on the beach and going, "Hey, where's JBI?"

This ^ was quite humorous!

Thank you JBI for the free home brew samples.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:00 am

drfish wrote:
I took 20 minutes or so last night to poke around at it and it's amazing the scope of the thing and all that you miss just by being part of something else somewhere off camera. It made me much more excited about the Livestream for next year...

Hey, with all that extra bandwidth maybe you could have dual-stream -- one from the yard and one from the beach! (But then you'd need to figure out how to get WiFi signal down on the beach... hmm.)

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:01 am

Maybe if we get another upgrade next year, was barely able to do 720p this time around. I'm thinking something more centrally located and mobile (but not as much so as Hat Cam). Will make sure we can get WiFi at least to the top of the stairs if not down on the beach next year.

Other Wasson Cup nominations:
Mrs. Shoes for being the best pal Ellie and Mrs. Fish could hope for.
Colt for giving Mrs. Shoes some competition in that regard. ;)
Damage for knocking off Skuzzy's head (and Jr. Damage for doing the same thing again shortly after).

Sheldomaus
Gerbil

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 am

drfish wrote:
Maybe if we get another upgrade next year, was barely able to do 720p this time around. I'm thinking something more centrally located and mobile (but not as much so as Hat Cam). Will make sure we can get WiFi at least to the top of the stairs if not down on the beach next year.

Other Wasson Cup nominations:
Mrs. Shoes for being the best pal Ellie and Mrs. Fish could hope for.
Colt for giving Mrs. Shoes some competition in that regard. ;)
Damage for knocking off Skuzzy's head (and Jr. Damage for doing the same thing again shortly after).

Bonus points for enjoying the heck out of Forges coke.

For me I think Frobozz's performance against zgirl in the tourney should be Wasson Cup worthy.
I think Gleek actually got a video of it.
Mind my grammar as you will explode!