Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: NOOOOOOOB

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Forge wrote:
Well there's only so many jobs in the world, in the high-energy theoretical booger reclamation labs. You're bound to end up working together sooner or later.

It's been across three different fields -- computational physics, avionics (defense sector), and data storage.

I was just telling my daughter this morning that if she wanted to get into "programming" (she's nine years old, after all, so we'll dumb it down a bit) that she could get a job in just about any field, from cars to schools to working for NASA.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:03 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I was just telling my daughter this morning that if she wanted to get into "programming" (she's nine years old, after all, so we'll dumb it down a bit) that she could get a job in just about any field, from cars to schools to working for NASA.

Some Adult: And what do you want to do when you grow up?
Your Girl: I want to program Smart Coffee Makers!

Edit: I would be very disappointed if an IoT coffee machine was not programmed in Java.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Seems like Oracle is missing out on an opportunity to make Java-branded IoT coffee makers. :lol:

I don't really have much say in what she is when she grows up, of course, and all I want is that she's doing something she likes and getting paid for it, but from a purely pragmatic point of view, software developers of all stripes are going to be just as needed 20 years from now as they are today. If you have a half-way analytical brain and can break tasks down into smaller pieces, there will always be work for you.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:20 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Some Adult: And what do you want to do when you grow up?
Your Girl: I want to program Smart Coffee Makers!

Edit: I would be very disappointed if an IoT coffee machine was not programmed in Java.

The smart coffee maker we got at the office a few weeks ago died after less than a week. I was betting the replacement wouldn't last much longer. It has made it 2 weeks now (and counting), so I would've lost that bet if I'd wagered real money.

There's something just a little perverse about a coffee machine that has a nicer screen on it than most budget laptops.

Java is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it has powered much of the modern smartphone and smart device revolution. On the other hand, I think it has lowered the bar for what it takes to be a productive software developer, which will be to our detriment over the long run. Too many people writing code without understanding what happens under the hood. Yes, languages like Java are supposed to mean you don't NEED to know that... but they don't do a perfect job, and the results aren't pretty when things go off the rails.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:32 am

Python takes that 'not knowing what's going on behind the scenes when things go wacky' to a whole new level...

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:27 am

Airmantharp wrote:
Python takes that 'not knowing what's going on behind the scenes when things go wacky' to a whole new level...

...and yet, there are people writing HPC code in it. :(
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:35 am

Waco wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

...and yet, there are people writing HPC code in it. :(

That's not an entirely crazy thing to do if the Python code is all high-level control logic, with the computational heavy lifting done by libraries coded in a "closer to the metal" language like C/C++.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
That's not an entirely crazy thing to do if the Python code is all high-level control logic, with the computational heavy lifting done by libraries coded in a "closer to the metal" language like C/C++.

It's rough on the storage level, since Python loves to load things dynamically in the middle of computation when a new routine is needed.

Filesystems don't do well when 20,000 nodes suddenly request the exact same library.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Waco wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

It's rough on the storage level, since Python loves to load things dynamically in the middle of computation when a new routine is needed.

Filesystems don't do well when 20,000 nodes suddenly request the exact same library.

That could happen with any language. Even code compiled from C/C++ is typically paged in on demand, even if the symbol linkage is done at build time (static linkage) or when the application starts (dynamic linkage). So if all of your nodes are running in sync and sharing a file system for their binaries you can still potentially run into situations like that.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:16 pm

just brew it! wrote:
That could happen with any language. Even code compiled from C/C++ is typically paged in on demand, even if the symbol linkage is done at build time (static linkage) or when the application starts (dynamic linkage). So if all of your nodes are running in sync and sharing a file system for their binaries you can still potentially run into situations like that.

Sure, but you pay it once with C/C++ before you're at risk of losing your job when a checkpoint routine fires up. :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The smart coffee maker we got at the office a few weeks ago died after less than a week. I was betting the replacement wouldn't last much longer. It has made it 2 weeks now (and counting), so I would've lost that bet if I'd wagered real money.

It would appear that the replacement for the one that died after less than a week lasted two weeks and a day before kicking the bucket. I think it is safe to say that there are some reliability issues with this device.

At least when the machine dies, you get a nicely anti-aliased font for the error message, displayed over a high-resolution coffee bean background wallpaper. I think we know where the designers' priorities were.