Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: NOOOOOOOB

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
BluePanda wrote:

However, the BBQ would be a hell of a haul to make...

Ask the guys that drive and fly in from 1000, 2000, 3000 miles away if it is worth it; they make a weekend of it in the area. :)
Seriously, post in the thread and at least see the responses.
Also, look up the threads from the last few years to see pics and video of how awesome it is.

lol. True -- but we did just drive 1500 miles across the country to move here just last month for the new jerbs. :P Another 1500 mile trip so soon?!?!

just brew it! wrote:
I get that all the time -- "You worked at Fermilab? Do you know so-and-so?"

9 times out of 10 the answer is "no". It was a huge place, and most of the people I worked with closely while I was there have moved on to other jobs (either voluntarily or involuntarily) since then. There are actually a half dozen ex-Fermilab people where I work now.

+1 nope -- don't know em, chances are I've been around them in the cafeteria but do I know them -- no. :(

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:37 am

Captain Ned wrote:
I wish my "homework" was amenable to crowd-sourcing.
Heh.

Welcome to the forums, BP. Why so blue? ;)
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:55 am

auxy wrote:
Geez, nothing makes you feel like a stupid kid accomplishing nothing in life at a dead-end job like reading about your fellow gerbils working on practical nuclear physics at LANL and Fermilab... (╥﹏╥)

Meh, the trick is not to do what you love, but to love what you do. Then take the surplus and invest it in hobbies on the weekends.

For example, I'm currently building a 3'x5'x18" oak coffee table on the weekends, using only materials I can find at Home Depot. Although there's a long family history in woodworking, this has exactly nothing to do with my dayjob, except that the dayjob is paying for it.

Oh, and welcome, BP :wink: If you like where this thread is going, you'll definitely do well in the DYMT.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Omniman
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:02 am

BP, where is it you moved from?
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:35 am

Waco wrote:
auxy wrote:
Waco wrote:
It has happened. :o
What has happened? She's not the first lady on these boards, yanno... (◕︿◕✿)

She's my fiancee. :lol:

Ah, I understand, you're worried that I'll steal her. After all, any woman that could be content with a Waco couldn't be less than thrilled with a Forge!

Too bad I'm already married.

:P @ Waco
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:10 pm

Omniman wrote:
BP, where is it you moved from?

Well long story short...I'm originally from Colorado -- met Waco working an internship at LANL, moved to SC for three years (finished my degree) and then we moved back here...lol

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Welcome, BP.

And.......cue in for the sordid measures of Waco and BP's antics in bed.....in 3 2 1.......

just kidding. :D

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Forge wrote:
Ah, I understand, you're worried that I'll steal her. After all, any woman that could be content with a Waco couldn't be less than thrilled with a Forge!

Too bad I'm already married.

:P @ Waco

That's definitely it. :lol:
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 pm

ludi wrote:
auxy wrote:
Oh, and welcome, BP :wink: If you like where this thread is going, you'll definitely do well in the DYMT.

Alright -- enlighten me. I don't get DYMT -- "Don't You Mean Type", I feel like a tard :oops: , no explain this thread. lol. Or is it like night club...first rule of DYMT...haha

But seriously, is it just post whatever the hell you want? If so then yes, you are right -- I like it. lol.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 pm

I think "NOOOOOOOOB" is a better name than "DYMT" for the aimless chatter thread.

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:39 pm

Aren't goats quite colorful creatures?

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:40 pm

It's threads like this that sometimes make me wish I had a vagina... sometimes.

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:43 pm

I'll be lame and repost my dymt:

BluePanda wrote:
My last review referred to a mouse that looked like a maxi pad -- those who actually read it didn't post about it :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:50 pm

BluePanda wrote:
Alright -- enlighten me. I don't get DYMT -- "Don't You Mean Type", I feel like a tard :oops: , no explain this thread. lol. Or is it like night club...first rule of DYMT...haha

There isn't really much to explain, other than it was a random thread started back in 2003 which just became the de facto "random posts" thread. The first rule of DYMT could be stated as "nothing is off-topic, but nothing is really on-topic either". The "reloaded" version (and lockage of the original) came about because the version of the forum software being used back in 2006 did not handle really large threads well.

It's become one of the old "in" jokes of this site, much like the inclusion of a "cheese" option as the last choice in nearly all forum polls, and referring to forum members as "gerbils".

IIRC for a while it was an unofficial initiation rite that newcomers to the thread had to read the whole thing in chronological order. :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:46 am

just brew it! wrote:

IIRC for a while it was an unofficial initiation rite that newcomers to the thread had to read the whole thing in chronological order. :lol:

Wasn't there a book report due on it as well after that?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 am

Dposcorp wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Wasn't there a book report due on it as well after that?

I think we just said that, didn't actually do it. Who would have read/graded them all?
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:16 am

This thread seems to be turning into a DYMT meta-thread. Scary! :o
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:52 am

BluePanda wrote:

The explanation as I gathered it, is that one of our resident gerbils, also a mild dyslexic in real life, was intending to criticize another poster for typing mean things, and phrased it as a rhetorical question. hence, "Don't you mean type." Except that she accidentally started a new thread of that title which, having the appearance of inexplicable randomness, became a nascent black hole for all randomness in the TR galaxy. The more randomness DYMT takes in, the more massive it becomes, and even non-random topics invariably bend toward its field. Or something like that.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Dposcorp

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:21 pm

ludi wrote:
BluePanda wrote:

The explanation as I gathered it, is that one of our resident gerbils, also a mild dyslexic in real life, was intending to criticize another poster for typing mean things, and phrased it as a rhetorical question. hence, "Don't you mean type." Except that she accidentally started a new thread of that title which, having the appearance of inexplicable randomness, became a nascent black hole for all randomness in the TR galaxy. The more randomness DYMT takes in, the more massive it becomes, and even non-random topics invariably bend toward its field. Or something like that.

The part I put in bold is what keeps me up at night. :o

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:26 pm

OMG, I always thought it was a question! I knew the story but I did not comprehend... :o "hey you, don't you mean type, you big meanie!" Mind blown. :o

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Where it all started:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10288
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Igor_Kavinski

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Since we are on the topic of DYMT, didn't anyone get just a weeee bit curious as to who the girl is and what she's like and what she is doing now? I mean the DYMT girl, of course.

Seeing how popular her thread is, maybe everybody donate and vote for someone to go meet her and present her with an official TR present?

OMG, it will be 10 years in September since her typo that led to all those fond memories! :o THAT'S when she should be honored ceremoniously in a live webcast!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:43 pm

imi pops back in every now and then and appears to have grown into a reasonably stable and successful young woman.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Igor_Kavinski

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:51 pm

BluePanda, do you have a secret underground lab?

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:21 pm

If she revealed that, it wouldn't be a secret. :roll:

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:27 pm

It wouldn't be very secret if I told you...

So...

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:29 am

BluePanda wrote:
It wouldn't be very secret if I told you...

So...

How about a front company to put a legitimate face upon your massive organization for evil?
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:01 am

This thread is going to be official soon. Interestingly enough, DYMT was started by a lady too.

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:37 pm

It won't last...

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Bensam123 wrote:
It's threads like this that sometimes make me wish I had a vagina... sometimes.
And to think I purposefully avoided an attention wh-- uh, grabby "introduction" thread specifically because I thought it would seem ... well, like what it was. _:(´□`」 ∠):_