Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: NOOOOOOOB

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:13 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Waco wrote:
Forge wrote:
That paraphrase was science officer Ash. With that, I have again demonstrated my awesomeness. BP, ready to dump Waco and spend your life chasing me yet?? ;p

Today is a landmark. I just realized Ian Holm was in Aliens. I clearly have not seen that movie in far too long. Time to break out the Quadrilogy!

Alien. Not Aliens. Lance Henriksen was the android in Aliens.

Bah. That's what I meant. Serves me right for posting before my morning coffee! :lol:
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:29 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Waco wrote:
Forge wrote:
That paraphrase was science officer Ash. With that, I have again demonstrated my awesomeness. BP, ready to dump Waco and spend your life chasing me yet?? ;p

Today is a landmark. I just realized Ian Holm was in Aliens. I clearly have not seen that movie in far too long. Time to break out the Quadrilogy!

Alien. Not Aliens. Lance Henriksen was the android in Aliens.

"I'm shocked. Was it an older model?"

"Well that explains it, the A/2s always were a bit twitchy. Cornbread?"

Best movies evar.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:31 pm

Waco wrote:
She doesn't, but I do. I'm not sure I'm at liberty to say anything about HPSS and how it is or isn't used. :P

I wouldn't bet on tapes being terribly long-lived in the world of exascale though...

I know this is a necrobump...but I'm formally redacting this statement. Tape isn't going anywhere in the foreseeable future. Somehow in the past few years I've become integrated into the HPSS and TSM teams at work, so I have to admit that I was quite ignorant in these past posts. :)

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:02 am

I rate this thread 9 potatoes out of 11 blocks of cheese.

Pros:
-Random
-Takes very little time to read
-???

Cons:
-No cheese or potatoes
-JBI memes are notable absent
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:42 am

I demand cheese.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:55 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
I demand cheese.

A cheese, a tape...
Cheese and tape?
Cheesetape!

http://www.zansglobal.com/product/mc-tape-dispenser/
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:59 pm

Waco wrote:
Waco wrote:
She doesn't, but I do. I'm not sure I'm at liberty to say anything about HPSS and how it is or isn't used. :P

I wouldn't bet on tapes being terribly long-lived in the world of exascale though...

I know this is a necrobump...but I'm formally redacting this statement. Tape isn't going anywhere in the foreseeable future. Somehow in the past few years I've become integrated into the HPSS and TSM teams at work, so I have to admit that I was quite ignorant in these past posts. :)

Don't necrobump me. When you do, I shift in my crypt.

Also, reading some of my previous comments here, I was thinking "Gawd, who is that tool?" then I realized it was me. I love those little moments.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:06 pm

Forge wrote:
Don't necrobump me. When you do, I shift in my crypt.

Also, reading some of my previous comments here, I was thinking "Gawd, who is that tool?" then I realized it was me. I love those little moments.

The feeling is mutual. I was one heck of a tool back in the day...not too long ago. :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Ahh, the late night crowd... I just finished brewing a batch of beer that ran a little later than expected. Interleaved research into the strange error my RAID-1 array threw this morning cut into my brewing productivity! :lol:

@Waco - Forge has been here a lot longer than you, so his definition of "not too long ago" may be very different from yours. :wink:

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:20 pm

I've spiritually been a member since...around 2005. I just didn't join till much later. :) I also know I was a colossal tool when I was younger, dumber, and full of confidence.

It's barely past 10 PM here in NM, so it's not quite late yet. Today was a day filled with wrenching, wiring, and zip-tying...the kit car moved under it's own power for the first time. See the "What did you repair today" thread for a video, if you care.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:37 pm

I've often thought that if I'd kept doing the same kind of stupid sh*t I did when I was younger, I would not be around to post this. Age MIGHT bring greater wisdom, but it is almost GUARANTEED to at least force you to come to terms with your own mortality; and that includes looking back at the dumb stuff you've done, and going "OK, never doing THAT again!"

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:51 pm

...and then repeating that dumb s**t a few years later. :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:56 pm

Yes, sometimes it takes more than once to convince you that it is REALLY a bad idea!

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yes, sometimes it takes more than once to convince you that it is REALLY a bad idea!

You really can't draw a solid conclusion without a decent sized sample. Such things are unscientific.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

toki
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:56 pm

random

bluepanda joined this site on my birthday : /\

credible
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:51 pm

Waco wrote:
Waco wrote:

I think the original post was before I got here in any event I was curious why it was at the top and did a Google search, I wonder Waco if this extra work you have been doing is related to this.

I realize I'm Canadian and may not have seen this when it was reported but I never heard about this close call.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06/near-disaster-federal-nuclear-weapons-laboratory-takes-hidden-toll-america-s-arsenal

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:35 pm

credible wrote:
I think the original post was before I got here in any event I was curious why it was at the top and did a Google search, I wonder Waco if this extra work you have been doing is related to this.

I realize I'm Canadian and may not have seen this when it was reported but I never heard about this close call.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06/near-disaster-federal-nuclear-weapons-laboratory-takes-hidden-toll-america-s-arsenal

There have been a few safety incidents in the past decade or so at LANL, but none of them in the past few decades involved my group (HPC).

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:22 am

credible wrote:

Demon Core says hi!

Slotin: Nah boss, it's cool! I'm holding the Plutonium hemispheres apart with this flat head screwdriver, see?

History repeats. Again. Again.

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:34 am

credible wrote:

Wowee. That's a well-written article and a very interesting story. Thanks for sharing mate!
7700K, 32GB, 1080Ti - Suppressor F1

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:51 pm

It was super interesting, and it fits in with the "we were young and stupid" vibe of this thread. But all I can think about is the end of Wrath of Khan.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

wingless
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:00 pm

BluePanda wrote:
Alright -- I'm a noob here, bring it on. I've been a long time lurker (not all that long 2-3 years) just reading articles and random threads around here and I finally felt it appropriate to join in on things.

There's this dorky guy around here...Waco? lol Yea -- well he and I are getting married next month -- CHEERS! So if you know him...I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Basic Background for me...

Yup -- I'm female, deal with it.
I'm a Mechanical Engineer working as a Systems Engineer at Los Alamos National Lab for their High Performance Computing Division (FANCY!!! -- no)
I also review computer hardware on the side -- nothing too fancy, just write for overclockersclub.com (wanted to write for TR, but I'm probably not good enough)

So yea -- questions? Ask away, looks like it should be fun getting to know some of you fools.

:P

There's a good probability you know a good friend of mine that's also a Mechy at LANL - Stu T. (I won't mention the rest of his name since y'all work at LANL!!!) Have you run across anyone with with that name?
Intel Core i7 2600K | 16GB DDR3-2133 | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro | Silverstone 750W | ASUS Strix GTX 980 OC | ASUS Xonar DSX/S.M.S.L. M2 USB DAC | Samsung 840 Pro | A bunch of HDDs and a lot of TBs.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:42 pm

There's no harm in names - they're publicly available anyway. :) I do recognize the name, but we work in totally different groups.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:52 pm

It's like when people ask me if I knew so-and-so when I worked at Fermilab. Thousands of employees, of which I probably knew several dozen at best.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Necrotizing-threadyitis

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
It's like when people ask me if I knew so-and-so when I worked at Fermilab. Thousands of employees, of which I probably knew several dozen at best.

The HPC community at LANL is pretty small, but in terms of employees there are almost 20,000 spread across the campus. If they don't touch computers in any way, I probably don't know them. :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:00 am

Waco wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

The HPC community at LANL is pretty small, but in terms of employees there are almost 20,000 spread across the campus. If they don't touch computers in any way, I probably don't know them. :lol:

When I was at Fermi, my group was even a narrowly focused subset of the HPC people. Although experimental particle accelerator physics was the bulk of the activity at Fermi overall, during the time I was there the group I was in exclusively supported the theorists; we designed, built, and supported what was essentially a massive bespoke Lattice QCD machine. So outside my immediate group and the theoretical physicists, I didn't know many people there well.

Edit: Amusing side note... I currently share an office with one of my former Fermi co-workers. It seems that our career paths are required to cross about once a decade. This is the third place we've worked together, with both of us having had other jobs in between.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:15 pm

Well there's only so many jobs in the world, in the high-energy theoretical booger reclamation labs. You're bound to end up working together sooner or later.

Likewise, I could probably name 3/4 of the attendees at the international Mad Scientist/Terrorist meetup. Wait, can't be 3/4, there's six of us. Anyways....

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Forge wrote:
Well there's only so many jobs in the world, in the high-energy theoretical booger reclamation labs. You're bound to end up working together sooner or later.

It's been across three different fields -- computational physics, avionics (defense sector), and data storage.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:33 pm

You were supposed to fall in love and get married? You're both very atypical, in exactly the same way? Those aren't fields I'd usually expect to blend or share personnel, so I'm out of ideas.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:43 pm

:lol:

There isn't really one dominant segment of the tech industry in the Chicago area. Unless you're willing to move out of the area or let your career stagnate, you adapt and take a job wherever the best opportunities and/or salaries are as the landscape shifts. And if your employer is hiring, you tend to recommend people you've worked with in the past and respect. At the second place we worked together, I was one of the people who recommended him; the situation was reversed at the current one.