Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

First hand view of the Moore, OK tornado damage

Mon May 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Luckily, my house only suffered minor damage. We have a couple of broken windows, downed fences, and some slight leaking in our roof. Other than that, we were very fortunate. As you'll soon see, a lot of people in my neighborhood weren't so lucky. I took a few pics and a quick video when I was trying to get off of my street, but didn't get as many as I would have liked. If and when I get a chance, I'll take more and let you guys know.

Google+ link
Quick YouTube video
Last edited by Dizik on Thu May 23, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Inkling
TR Staff

Re: First hand view of the Moore, OK tornado damage

Mon May 20, 2013 11:58 pm

Glad you and your family are OK, Dizik. Looking at your pics, it appears most your neighborhood got out of this with much less damage than many other people experienced. From what I've seen elsewhere, this was one for the record books. Our prayers and thoughts will be with everyone affected.
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2013 12:01 am

The neighborhood behind my neighbors (the pic of the house with a huge hole in the roof) is all but gone. We were lucky.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 21, 2013 5:42 am

Eek. Glad to hear you're okay. I helped friends clean up debris after their house was adjacent to the path of the Windsor 2008 Tornado (EF3) and although they mostly had tree limbs down and hail damage, the next neighborhood over pretty much looked like that.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue May 21, 2013 6:49 am

My heart broke when hearing about the two schools and seeing the video of them. (Damn onion monster)

I also have to applaud KFOR for their top notch reporting. I was watching the streams for most of yesterday. I also noticed that Fox, CNN, and the weather channel were carrying their feed. The helo team and reporter were up for well over 8 hours yesterday.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue May 21, 2013 7:20 am

Wow. Tornados are just crazy and powerful and scary. Glad you and your family are safe.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue May 21, 2013 8:24 am

Glad to know you're ok, and your house didn't take too much damage.

Stay safe and watch out for the squirrels.

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Tue May 21, 2013 8:52 am

Wow! What a nightmare. I'm glad you and yours are well. I'm really heartbroken for the kids from the two schools and worry that the downed hospital will have lasting effect.

I'm curious, where you at home when the twister hit?
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
Edward Teller

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue May 21, 2013 9:25 am

glad you're OK man :(

Got some friends in the region but as far as I can tell so far they're all OK. One of them was saying it looks like the death toll is being revised significantly downward and thank goodness for small favors.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue May 21, 2013 10:44 am

The pictures I've seen on CNN are chilling. Thanks for sharing these and glad you made it through.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2013 2:06 pm

A lifelong friend lost one of his sisters. :(

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Tue May 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Dizik wrote:
A lifelong friend lost one of his sisters. :(

Ah man. That is the worst. I;m sorry and my heart goes out to her family and friends.
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
Edward Teller

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed May 22, 2013 10:50 pm

damn :( I've got some friends with missing (probably dead) pets and damaged houses but at least none of them lost a loved one. That sucks man.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2013 9:09 am

They're nothing special, but I added a few more pics from my roof. One of them is a Photosphere from my roof showing my neighborhood. Also, here's a newsclip about my friend Jeany that died. Link

Dagwood
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 23, 2013 1:23 pm

That story of Jenny is just heartbreaking.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Dagwood wrote:
That story of Jenny is just heartbreaking.
Her name was Jeany. I'm not sure why every damn news outlet is getting her name wrong in print.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2013 10:50 am

The Patriot Guard is in town to block you know who from protesting funerals from the tornado. Awesome.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri May 24, 2013 11:20 am

Dammit those people need to go to......well actually I dont know where. But dang it enough is enough! :evil:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2013 2:52 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend, Dizik

I've never experienced a tornado, and hopefully never will. We get dust devils in eastern WA and they're spooky enough (I once happened to be right next to one as it kicked off and it was like gravity briefly reversed and a wheelbarrow-sized load of loose dirt spontaneously lifted off and started rotating). But something I hadn't really appreciated until I was looking at pictures was how much dirt is in the air during a tornado. I mean, you see all the large chunks of debris but there's a whole lot else in the air that doesn't really show up in the videos. And since there's rain in the air also, it gets wet and turns to mud and you end up with shotgun patterns of mud like this. I can't imagine what that's like with 200+ mph wind behind it.
tanker27 wrote:
Dammit those people need to go to......well actually I dont know where. But dang it enough is enough! :evil:
Those people put up a hateful website, which promptly got hacked and redirected to the American Red Cross. That's about as white hat hacking as it gets (even if they couldn't resist a little taunting in the process).

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 25, 2013 4:08 am

Its all over the Australian news channels, hope all you guys there are OK.

Its crazy, leveled entire neighbourhoods.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2014 9:56 am

Holy ****...it's been a year.

Pics and video