Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Re: Xerox machines with a mind of their own

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Collation was done with mechanical sorters/stackers.

Yep, and if you wanted 40 copies of a document, the original went through 40 times. Ask Brother Dominic.

Not if you had a machine with one of the big-ass multi-bin sorter/stackers. Each copy had its own bin, so the originals only needed to cycle through once. Of course this meant the number of copies you could make of a multi-page document was limited by the number of sorting bins...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:46 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Not if you had a machine with one of the big-ass multi-bin sorter/stackers. Each copy had its own bin, so the originals only needed to cycle through once. Of course this meant the number of copies you could make of a multi-page document was limited by the number of sorting bins...

Hmm, how did they refresh the image on the toner drum after toner transfer without another shot of the original?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Hmm, how did they refresh the image on the toner drum after toner transfer without another shot of the original?

The doc feeder kept it on the glass until all of the copies of that page had been made. Yes, it got lit up once for each copy; but the original didn't get physically shoved through the system each time.

We may be using different definitions of "original went through". I assumed you meant "got physically moved by the document feeder" (as opposed to "got swiped by the optics in the copier while it remained stationary on the glass").

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:21 am

just brew it! wrote:
We may be using different definitions of "original went through". I assumed you meant "got physically moved by the document feeder" (as opposed to "got swiped by the optics in the copier while it remained stationary on the glass").

Yeah, I'm thinking of a big Xerox unit that had a vacuum-assisted feeder that really did recycle the originals for multiple copies as it had only a sliding stacker on the output side, not the mega-pockets of Brother Dominic's unit.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:31 am

Apparently the issue can happen on default settings as well:

http://www.dkriesel.com/en/blog/2013/08 ... t_findings

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:41 am

Frankly, the 200 dpi vs. 72 dpi argument was BS right from the start - plenty of documents have legal info in very tiny fine print, that would be just as small at 200 dpi as normal print at 72 dpi.

The fact that it happens on default settings, too, though, isn't exactly surprising (except I thought they said that Higher didn't use JBIG2?), but disturbing nonetheless.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:50 am

Enough bitching on the interwebs finally kick them enough to produce a fix?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/22/46491 ... bug-on-its

I wonder if they would have swept this under the rug were it not for the blogosphere/tweeterland?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Update. Patches have been issued.

http://www.office.xerox.com/scanning-so ... /enus.html
http://realbusinessatxerox.blogs.xerox. ... available/

I have a 7665 that I just entered in a call to get updated. Current firmware:

System Software Version: 0.40.33.53180
Net Controller Software Version: 0.040.033.53180
UI Software Version: 040.33.53180

From the documentation I read, if it gets installed properly, my version will change like thus:

Net Controller Software Version: 0.040.033.53180.LL

I downloaded the patch just to check it out. I got this bad boy under contract so this is someone else's problem now to get updated. It's sad, the tech support guy said he didn't do network stuff and would have to route me to their networking group who would then contact me and let me know if this is something they would charge me for since nothing is technically "broken". I asked the tech guy on the phone if he had heard any of this, surely it would have been trickled down from his managers to frontline staff like him? Nope, not a thing.

Quality work there, Xerox. Even better because the company maintaining this machine is owned wholely by Xerox themselves.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:27 pm

So after the update I have this:

System Software Version: 0.40.33.53180
Net Controller Software Version: 0.040.033.53180.LL
UI Software Version:

Yeah, I dunno, I guess I don't have UI Software anymore. Maybe it'll come back the next time it reboots.

My problem with the resolution is thus: The network guy randomly showed up, I never got a callback. He had no idea why he was there. I asked him about the scanner substitution issue and he only kind of knew about it. Apparently I was the first customer he was doing this for and he had to download the firmware and read how to install it and read what it actually did and all that jazz.

Confidence in the Xerox support: low.

Anyway, my part in this drama is concluded now that I got the only affected machine I have patched. Hopefully some of my info is useful to others.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Interesting, just saw this thread... I hope this PR hurts them a lot.

Not too long ago Xerox canned their experienced development team and outsourced them, allowing the outsource company to rehire those engineers, but without all of those benefits they earned. Not many took it for very long. Grrr.... Xerox deserves every bit of bad PR poor quality gets when you cheap your way out of paying talented people.