Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Looking for some Speaker Mod Advice

Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:34 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
This.

One of the benefits of Vermont (cough cough).

Spent many a dollar and hours at a certain location on Titus Ave in Irondequoit.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:00 pm

This is the Akai unit I had. I really wish I had kept it.
I wish I had gone to med school.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:48 pm

The Swamp wrote:
I actually have a very old (1970s vintage) set of Savard speakers that I'm not using. I may one day refurbish those. They have big horn style tweeters. It would be interesting to open those up and see what's inside. They were pretty expensive back in the day, so they may have things like real crossovers, although I am utterly unfamiliar with 1970s speaker tech. The cabinets are solid wood and are insanely heavy, and that's just the cabinets themselves. You guys know anything about 70s speakers?

Not the brand, but in general, there have been a number of developments in materials science and system design since then. The research articles that gave rise to the Thiele/Small parameters, now used universally to model loudspeaker design in terms of signal processing theory, were only developed in the early 1970s and the speaker-building materials of the time were fairly limited.

That said, if you like the sound of a set that you already have, keep it. The only thing that might need service are electrolytic caps, if any, in the crossover networks -- they do tend to age out, especially after forty years.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration