Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Serialnuker
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Well i figured i might as well

Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:19 am

I just went Hey, i got my new comp and i might as well start this whole folding thing. but i have a question, how long do you think it will take?

I am guessing now that i started it will only take 23 mins :lol:
Joking of course but i think it will take about a year.

Well here goes the folding.
When i talk smack it is usually cause i will win. If i dont talk smack, it is usually cause ill win, but since your bigger, i dont want you to beat the shiz outta me.

Serialnuker
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:25 am

note to self, do not go into task managers procesess and make folding realtime.
That wasnt very fun, i thought it would help, but it just went BUZZZZAP! and froze my comp,

is there any way to amke folding go faster?
When i talk smack it is usually cause i will win. If i dont talk smack, it is usually cause ill win, but since your bigger, i dont want you to beat the shiz outta me.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:55 am

What are your system specs? Changing the priority will not make you fold any faster. As you have found out, it only leads to instability. Simply set it at idle priority and let it crunch away. Different WUs take different amounts of time to complete. Some could take a day to complete while others will be done in a few hours. To really make your folding go faster, add the -advmethods flag to the shortcut of F@H. In the past at least, it would increase your chances of grabbing a Gromacs WU which incorporates SSE instructions. On most systems, this will net your more points/hour as it is far more efficient. Thank you for contributing. :)

BTW, this thread should have been posted in the distributed computing forum. Also, try to use titles that are descriptive of the topic at hand.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan