Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:27 pm

I'm down with the shirt, and as usual no need for onsite accommodations - there are several very nice hotels within a 15 minute drive.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:56 pm

idchafee wrote:
I'm down with the shirt, and as usual no need for onsite accommodations - there are several very nice hotels within a 15 minute drive.

No money can ever beat the experience in sleeping the night with Sheldon!

Sheldomaus
Gerbil

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:58 am

It's about getting the full experience. Cicada and all.
Mind my grammar as you will explode!

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:14 am

Alright, for a poll this niche I think 9 votes of yes (including non-tye-dye fans) is good enough to say we'll have some form of shirt available. We'll work on a couple design concepts and then I'll confirm the cost and put up a PayPal link for people to use to reserve a shirt in the size/style they prefer. Should be fun!

Additionally, I think I have the memes for the trophies figured out early this year. Going to keep them a secret though. :wink:
TR BBQ XIV is over.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Sounds like I need to try the Mount Gay Black.

Almost tastes more like a whiskey than rum. It's fairly dry, and the oak character is quite strong.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:37 pm

It's truly superb.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Milo Burke wrote:
It's truly superb.

I agree it's good, but if I want something this oaky/smoky I think I'd rather have a nice Bourbon or Scotch. Also seems just a tad sharp/hot for something at this price point? Anyhow, thanks for the recommendation; it's an interesting spirit, and it's not like I regret the purchase. (Hey, you can't figure out what you really like without trying a bunch of stuff...)

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:21 am

So there's a couple big updates about the BBQ below, please read them.

1) The bunkhouse is a filthy cesspool of mold and stank (and that's not a slam against Sheldomaus!). At some point a water line came loose and every time the outside shower was run the bunkhouse got flooded, no one noticed and now the building is basically quarantined as a bio-hazard. I'm not sure what state it will be in a month from now but I don't anyone will be sleeping in it. That means Sheldon, Gleek, and Starfalcon will need to use sleeping bags in the cottage or in tents. Sorry guys. :oops:
2) It proved surprisingly difficult to get a picture of that really shows what I'm talking about but there is no beach, like really almost none... Observe!
Turbo is more disappointed than he looks. We're going to rig up a ladder or something to cover this gap for the BBQ but don't plan on room for much other than swimming.

This is the same place the fire ring was last year:
No exactly a lot of room to sit around... :o
TR BBQ XIV is over.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:09 am

Guess I will be crashing on a couch or the floor lol.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:32 am

Starfalcon wrote:
Guess I will be crashing on a couch or the floor lol.

Except for the year when a bunk unexpectedly opened up I've done that, or a tent in the yard. If there was more of a beach left (wow, that beach erosion is crazy!) I'd consider pitching a tent down on the sand... not sure I want to pitch my tent on the edge of a crumbling cliff! :lol:

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:35 am

Should have some concepts for the shirt posted soon. :) Then I'll open up orders shortly after that. My plan is for a simple Image button and asking everyone to specify the size and style of shirt they want in the thread. If the price is different for different sizes/styles I'll list it all out once we know it. We will only order shirts for people that pay for them in advance though so don't think you're going to be able to snag one when you get there, there will be no spares. :-? Shirts will be for attendees only, we won't be shipping anything out (unless you planned to come but couldn't of course).
TR BBQ XIV is over.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:51 pm

SON OF A BEACH!!! Why you no has?

That is just crazy that it is all gone so fast. And people talk about the low lake levels. HA!

I am in, I may or may not have company, though I am guessing not overnight. Too early to tell. I am okay with the pig roaster, I can make it work(Honestly Fish you have ONE job to do! :wink: ).

For those that want to know it is kind of a pot luck. Though I am providing ribs, hamburgers and hot dogs, along with buns and cheese. I tell others to bring something. Food, supplies, desserts, etc. If not contribute to Shoes's BOOM fund(though where he is shooting those off from this year is beyond me).

Also if anyone has a bad time at the BBQ there is seriously something wrong with you. Geeks, BBQ, Games, Food, Craziness, Beer, Idchafee, & Prizes, it is impossible not to have fun!

I should be in sometime Friday afternoon early evening-ish. Up early as usual. HOWEVER this year will probably see me check out early. It has been a long spring and I still do not have all my energy back up to normal. In fact I an not 100% sure I will be in the cornhole tournament. Which may be a good thing as someone else can win the darn thing for a change.

I'm out!
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:39 am

ONE MONTH to go! I'm really getting pumped up now. :D

Will start the who's bringing what list this weekend. Please make sure to post to confirm if you are planning to attend.
TR BBQ XIV is over.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:13 pm

For those wondering why there was minimal beach last year and no beach this year, I present you this, straight from the source:

Compared to BBQ 2013, the lake is up at least 2 feet in level.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

sis_of_fish
Gerbil

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:05 am

Okay, so here's my best (only >.>) idea so far for the shirts. The blue was arbitrary as I find it pleasant to stare at for lengthy periods on a computer screen.
Things are still very easily changed at this point... Text/fonts can be different, illustrations can be modified if they're unclear, etc. I am also still open to other suggestions of directions to take this if people hate this graphic. I'll need suggestions SOON though, as I will have to put in the order for shirts in a week or less.
Sooo, yeah, feedback would be appreciated :) Thanks!

sis_of_fish
Gerbil

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:15 am

Also, the beach technically has enough space for pitching tents without being too close to the crumbling edge, but they'd have to be set on lumpy, sharp beach grass, so I'd suggest cots at the very least (unless you dig plant acupuncture).
Or at least, that's what it looked like 11 days ago when Fish took the other photos...I suppose there could be less grassy beach now.

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:41 am

I like the direction of the t-shirt design!

Just brainstorming, a few musings:
- the color might look good if it is a little bit brighter of a blue
- would three be a better number of magnifying glasses?
- maybe one of the magnifying glasses could have something techy, like a laptop or PC or circuit (or perhaps an "inside the second" reference with a stopwatch?)
- fonts are good, but not superb - maybe play around with a few more until things really seem to pop?
- I wonder if TR should be significantly bigger than the rest of the text
- If TR is bigger, maybe it could be layered with very small "ech" "eport" after it?

Tech
...Report
.......BBQ

Kind of like that, but much more integrated than I can do with this forum editor?

sis_of_fish
Gerbil

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:06 am

Milo Burke wrote:
I like the direction of the t-shirt design!

Just brainstorming, a few musings:
- the color might look good if it is a little bit brighter of a blue
- would three be a better number of magnifying glasses?
- maybe one of the magnifying glasses could have something techy, like a laptop or PC or circuit (or perhaps an "inside the second" reference with a stopwatch?)
- fonts are good, but not superb - maybe play around with a few more until things really seem to pop?
- I wonder if TR should be significantly bigger than the rest of the text
- If TR is bigger, maybe it could be layered with very small "ech" "eport" after it?

Tech
...Report
.......BBQ

Kind of like that, but much more integrated than I can do with this forum editor?

I suppose I should clarify a few things, based on your suggestions, Milo:

- The blue is arbitrary, in that it will not be present in the final design. For the sake of keeping costs down so Fish can still net a fair profit from this fundraiser, the design will be in one colour. The blue here would represent the shirt's colour, essentially. There are many options for the single colour of the design to be in, however, so the black is open to change, but that's limited to a selection of about 20-30 solid colours.
- Generally, I agree that odd numbers are better for composition, but three seemed like too few to me, and five seemed too many. I can add a fifth "techy" design, and we can vote on which elements stay, perhaps.
- Fonts are limited at my at-home computer, but I have a plethora of options and font effects available to me with the design programs at work. I do like the suggestion of making the TR stand out from BBQ, but again for simplicity's sake and cost-effectiveness, I opted for fewer letters, rather than spelling the whole thing out. The wearers will know what TR stands for, no? I will look into distinguishing the two sets of letters though.

Thank you, keep the suggestions coming ^^

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:50 am

I think it looks great sis! I wouldn't change the contents of the magnifying glasses personally. Those are all the most critical components of the event for sure. I think the magnifying glasses themselves are a strong enough reference to TR as it is. If we need to evoke something more "digital" then maybe we could take the circuit traces shown in the magnifying glass of the actual TR logo as use them as a mask on the bold font of "TRBBQ" ? I'll try to mock something up a sec...

Edit: Something like this:
TR BBQ XIV is over.

Damage
TR Staff

Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:00 am

Well, I'm flying out of Grand Rapids on Sunday and into San Francisco for a week at IDF, but it looks like I'll be able to attend. I can't stuff a car full of things to give away, but I'll think of something to bring as a grand prize, at least, I suspect.

Sadly, I don't think Nathan or Adam will be joining us this year, since I'm not driving up. Maybe next year I can bring the whole family, if we can do it a little earlier in the summer.

Anyhow, sorry to be a little non-committal until now. Just had to work out a dicey schedule. Working on a front-page post to promote things.

Edit: Post is here:

http://techreport.com/news/28645/the-tr ... month-away
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:20 am

I like the circuit traces!

Any chance TR could be bigger than the BBQ letters? Even if they are next to each other?

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:15 pm

My best wishes from Wrangell, Alaska for this year. Next year...plus, the bike will be ready to go again then too!
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 980 4GB, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:24 pm

Trophies have been ordered! I splurged a little this year - please buy a shirt! ;)
TR BBQ XIV is over.

Westbrook348
Gerbil

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:11 pm

RSVPing for me and my wife and 3 kids. We'll be driving up from South Bend Mishawaka area Friday evening. Excited to meet everyone and have a great time!

sis_of_fish
Gerbil

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:49 pm

I believe this is pretty close to final... Goes well with Fish's theme of meme trophy plaques :B

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:24 am

Captain Ned wrote:
For those wondering why there was minimal beach last year and no beach this year, I present you this, straight from the source:

Compared to BBQ 2013, the lake is up at least 2 feet in level.

OH NOES! The icebergs are meltin!!! The world will be flooded soon! RUN!

drfish wrote:
Trophies have been ordered! I splurged a little this year - please buy a shirt! ;)

OMGWTFDIBATSF? (omg where the fudge do i buy a t shirt from?)

can't we use the circuit board TRBBQ font? I like that one best over all designs so far! Keep the magnifying glasses too! 3, 4, 5 doesn't matter!
Last edited by thegleek on Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:26 am

OMGILOVEIT!

I'm hoping to set the prices today and share what the final shirt options are as well (tye-dye and normal).
TR BBQ XIV is over.

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:09 am

I like the design more without all the texting abbreviations, I like it more official looking. Particularly if we can do the circuit look over the text.

Dizzytaz00
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:49 am

Well i want to come be there,but my work is having a blackout for vacations days right now until Christmas. So it seems to be the best tr-bbq yet! BUMMER!!! :(

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:07 am

Sorry to hear that, Dizzy. Meet you next year, I hope?