Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 13
 
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3990
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The dark side of the moon
Contact:

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Weeeeellll....obviously I am in. Duh. I will require a room and I may have company. I will let you know.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
 
drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5188
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Oh that reminds me, looks like we'll be using the big pig roaster from Taylor again this year, the one with the smoker and stuff was stolen out from under me by the yacht club. :o I'll have to supply my own flamethrower...
TR BBQ XV is happening 6/23/18. Don't miss it!
 
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3990
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The dark side of the moon
Contact:

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:17 pm

What?!?!? You are killing me DrFish....whyyyyyyyy!!!

LOL I guess I just make do. Though I was considering making my four cheese smoked mac & cheese. That may prove trickier now.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
 
drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5188
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:42 pm

Well if Alton Brown taught me anything it's pretty easy to make a smoker. Cold smoked or hot smoked mac & cheese?

Also, this was going to be a surprise but since we're talking already and there are so many options out there, what do you think of these pit gloves? In my notes from last year I wrote down buying you heat resistant gloves, bring my IR thermometer and picking up raffle tickets to use in the give away as areas of improvement. :)
TR BBQ XV is happening 6/23/18. Don't miss it!
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27058
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:28 pm

drfish wrote:
Well if Alton Brown taught me anything it's pretty easy to make a smoker. Cold smoked or hot smoked mac & cheese?

If you've got a Weber, you've got a smoker.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
 
MarkG509
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:29 pm

Where can I get a T-shirt, like Scott was wearing in the pic above?
 
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7429
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:06 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:46 am

MarkG509 wrote:
Where can I get a T-shirt, like Scott was wearing in the pic above?

Exclusive giveaways at the TRBBQ event! :) Come and ye shall receive!
 
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3990
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The dark side of the moon
Contact:

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:13 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
drfish wrote:
Well if Alton Brown taught me anything it's pretty easy to make a smoker. Cold smoked or hot smoked mac & cheese?

If you've got a Weber, you've got a smoker.


This is true but my larger concern is space. I need a lot of it. Thus a single Weber will not suffice.

I will make do it will just take more effort on my part. It is also harder to control the heat and make smoke in the roaster.

One of these days I will setup something I can tow myself since I now need it twice a year.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
 
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7429
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:06 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:52 am

zgirl wrote:
One of these days I will setup something I can tow myself since I now need it twice a year.

Utility Trailer 4' x 8' - $850 (pickerington, OH) - https://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/4996061464.html

?
 
Dizzytaz00
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:50 pm
Location: Berwick , PA USA

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Sun May 10, 2015 11:32 pm

Have We decided on what day? I'm planning to be there this year. I need to get out of PA.
Image
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27058
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Sun May 10, 2015 11:54 pm

Dizzytaz00 wrote:
Have We decided on what day? I'm planning to be there this year. I need to get out of PA.

Um, have you read the thread title?
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
 
drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5188
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Mon May 11, 2015 10:36 am

Thanks for the thread bump, reminded me to call and reserve the alternate grill. We're locked!
TR BBQ XV is happening 6/23/18. Don't miss it!
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27058
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Mon May 11, 2015 10:47 am

drfish wrote:
We're locked!

And Gleek will be loaded!! :wink:
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
 
geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Mon May 11, 2015 11:08 am

Gerbils from across the pond welcome??? I could work it into the holiday this summer to the states... :D

You can mock me face to face for buying *that* AMD computer!!!
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51051
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Mon May 11, 2015 11:47 am

geekl33tgamer wrote:
Gerbils from across the pond welcome??? I could work it into the holiday this summer to the states... :D

You can mock me face to face for buying *that* AMD computer!!!

Off the top of my head, there are probably only two (former) forum members in the entire history of the site who would be considered unwelcome at the BBQ.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27058
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Mon May 11, 2015 12:01 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Off the top of my head, there are probably only two (former) forum members in the entire history of the site who would be considered unwelcome at the BBQ.

And the airfare from Pakistan is prohibitive.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
 
LoneWolf15
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:36 am
Location: SW Meecheegan

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Mon May 11, 2015 5:57 pm

just brew it! wrote:
geekl33tgamer wrote:
Gerbils from across the pond welcome??? I could work it into the holiday this summer to the states... :D

You can mock me face to face for buying *that* AMD computer!!!

Off the top of my head, there are probably only two (former) forum members in the entire history of the site who would be considered unwelcome at the BBQ.


If you don't count the Indian Love Guru spammers.
i7-4790K @4.2GHz, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H-BK, 32GB GSkill RipJaws PC1866
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
Crucial M4 512GB, WD Raptor 600GB, WD Black 1TB, NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte GTX 1070 Founders Ed., X-Fi Titanium, Dell 2408WFP-HC
 
geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Tue May 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Off the top of my head, there are probably only two (former) forum members in the entire history of the site who would be considered unwelcome at the BBQ.

And the airfare from Pakistan is prohibitive.

:lol: It's not exactly rosy from the UK neither to be fair, but I will already be in the US over the date this takes place anyway - so why not. :-)

Where does it take place, exactly? I'm spending my first 4 days in Vegas, then 6 days in San Francisco, one day's internal flight to get to New York (ergh) then 4 days there before coming back to London. Can jiggle that somewhat, as the only flights booked are the inward and outward ones from the UK.
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51051
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Tue May 12, 2015 3:29 pm

Unfortunately it is not near either coast. The TR BBQ takes place on the (hopefully) sunny shores of Lake Michigan. Holland, Michigan to be more precise.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Tue May 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Ohhh, I see a plan here. Is it far to drive from Chicago???
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51051
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Tue May 12, 2015 3:53 pm

It is about a 3 hour drive from Chicago.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Tue May 12, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks, and that's easily doable if I factor in a short stay into Chicago (Your going to make me drive a car with the controls on the wrong side? :wink: ) and take say 1 day less in San Francisco. It's a city I have always wanted to visit, so now I have a really good excuse!
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD
 
idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness
Posts: 13998
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Tue May 19, 2015 5:00 pm

geekl33tgamer wrote:
Thanks, and that's easily doable if I factor in a short stay into Chicago (Your going to make me drive a car with the controls on the wrong side? :wink: ) and take say 1 day less in San Francisco. It's a city I have always wanted to visit, so now I have a really good excuse!


I drove one over there and the controls wasn't the hard part (although shifting with my left hand took a minute to master). No, it was driving on the wrong side of the road, remembering that turning right was turning across traffic.

That and roundabouts.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
 
localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Tue May 19, 2015 5:20 pm

idchafee wrote:
geekl33tgamer wrote:
Thanks, and that's easily doable if I factor in a short stay into Chicago (Your going to make me drive a car with the controls on the wrong side? :wink: ) and take say 1 day less in San Francisco. It's a city I have always wanted to visit, so now I have a really good excuse!


I drove one over there and the controls wasn't the hard part (although shifting with my left hand took a minute to master). No, it was driving on the wrong side of the road, remembering that turning right was turning across traffic.

That and roundabouts.

Ehh, I've seen roundabouts before (Davis, CA anyone?). But driving on the wrong side of the road would screw with me, no doubt. For once, the colonies are actually on the same standard as (almost) everyone else.

San Francisco is a neat city to check out, for sure. If you want to check out the suburbs, hit up BART and maybe head toward Walnut Creek, and walk around Broadway Plaza. Very nice area right there. (I'm from near there, woo!) Though admittedly, BART isn't super close to there - it's a car based area. San Fran, though - MUNI, BART, and walking should be sufficient, and cars are a pain.

I wouldn't mind joining you guys at the BBQ, but SF is too far from Michigan to make a quick trip over there. Do it in Oregon or California next time, will ya guys? :wink: :lol: :D
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51051
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Tue May 19, 2015 7:25 pm

The time I had to drive in the UK (Ireland) was a bit of a cluster; it's a wonder that between my driving and the humongous tour buses on those narrow country roads we didn't end up as road kill.

Our flight got screwed up, so I was sleep deprived AND jet lagged. I had reserved an automatic even though I know how to drive stick, but when we arrived they didn't have any automatics on the lot (possibly because of the delayed flight). Driving stick on top of everything else really messed with my head. Amusingly (in retrospect, not so amusing at the time) one of the things that really threw me for a loop was having to work both the gear shift and turn signal with my left hand; this made the roundabouts all the more stressful -- inevitably, I would need to shift and signal at the same time, resulting in conflicting signals being sent to my left hand! :lol:

The other amusing aspect was that my brain apparently dealt with the right/left thing by internally reversing left and right a couple of days into the trip. This made navigation a challenge since I kept turning right when I was supposed to turn left, and vice-versa. "No, your OTHER right!" :lol:

As far as doing an event like this somewhere other than Michigan goes... well, it's a volunteer effort. In order to have one in another part of the world, someone with access to an appropriate venue needs to step forward.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27058
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Wed May 20, 2015 1:04 am

localhostrulez wrote:
I wouldn't mind joining you guys at the BBQ, but SF is too far from Michigan to make a quick trip over there. Do it in Oregon or California next time, will ya guys? :wink: :lol: :D

Hey, I drive from VT. Leave Thursday, return Monday. Erie, PA is the midpoint stop.

The stretch from Buffalo to Erie is the worst part of the trip, though Buffalo to Rochester isn't much better.

EDIT: Gerbils on the I-90/I-80 corridor from Erie, PA to Holland, MI that need a ride, just holler.

EDIT2: Start your own BBQ. North Cali/Oregon would tempt my touring bones (yes, I would drive there). This became an "official" event but it sure didn't start that way. If Fro_Bozz is around he can put up the pic of the first BBQ in his backyard.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
 
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7341
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:35 am
Location: Hockeytown, MI

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Wed May 20, 2015 8:14 am

Captain Ned wrote:
This became an "official" event but it sure didn't start that way. If Fro_Bozz is around he can put up the pic of the first BBQ in his backyard.


In that original thread, all the linked pics are long gone - but I see JBI is still hosting a .MPG video of the first BBQ in my back yard:

viewtopic.php?p=224667#p224667
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27058
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Wed May 20, 2015 8:26 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
In that original thread, all the linked pics are long gone - but I see JBI is still hosting a .MPG video of the first BBQ in my back yard:

viewtopic.php?p=224667#p224667

Action Jim & HowardDrake; a pair of names from the first days of these fora.

EDIT: Here's BBQ III, which I think is still in your back yard.

viewtopic.php?p=1132029#p1132029
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51051
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Wed May 20, 2015 9:03 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
This became an "official" event but it sure didn't start that way. If Fro_Bozz is around he can put up the pic of the first BBQ in his backyard.

In that original thread, all the linked pics are long gone - but I see JBI is still hosting a .MPG video of the first BBQ in my back yard:

viewtopic.php?p=224667#p224667

Unfortunately, if you click the link in that post the video is going to trickle out to you over my 768 kbit DSL line... maybe you'll get the whole thing before the 2015 BBQ! :lol:

I suppose if there's any interest in preserving it for historical purposes I could re-host it on my cloud server.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Dposcorp
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2689
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Detroit, Michigan

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Wed May 20, 2015 9:18 am

I am still trying to figure out if I can make it this year, but I think I have pics and video from just about every TR BBQ I went to.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 13

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests