Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: TR BBQ ~XII~ 8/15/2015 - Official Thread

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:08 am

How many people attending the BBQ would be interested in some sort of commemorative t-shirt or other item that could be bought to help cover some costs this year? My sister works for this cool local print shop and we're thinking about her designing some kind of exclusive TR BBQ XII logo and sticking it on some wearables.
TR BBQ XIV is over.

Aranarth
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:23 am

The wife and I are planning on going.
Another t-shirt is always cool. :D
I wish to see things not as they are but as they should be.

Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.5Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb Corsair ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 6870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:29 pm

Depends. Does the shirt look nice? :D

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:39 pm

It better be tye-dye. I rock in tye-dye.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:13 pm

Got it, if we do this it'll be tye-dye in your honor. :D
TR BBQ XIV is over.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:36 pm

drfish wrote:
Got it, if we do this it'll be tye-dye in your honor. :D

Whatever you do, book me one in 4XL and I'll PayPal you.

Note to self. Stop forgetting sarcasm tags or similar smilies.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:19 am

I'd buy a commemorative shirt. Size L.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:41 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Note to self. Stop forgetting sarcasm tags or similar smilies.

Too late! If it happens it's all on you! I think these are a good place to start.

I like this color:
TR BBQ XIV is over.

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:12 pm

I'd like to hear more about the "cottage" arrangements please. :D

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:20 pm

Milo Burke wrote:
I'd like to hear more about the "cottage" arrangements please. :D

Assuming arrangements are the same as in the past, there's a small bunkhouse out back, and beds/couches available in the main cottage as well. There's also room in the yard to pitch a tent. I don't know if the bunkhouse/beds/couches are spoken for already or not, you'll need to wait for an answer from drfish. I bring a tent and sleeping bag, but have grabbed a bed/couch a couple of times when one was available. Some people also opt to stay in nearby hotels.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:29 pm

Here's the current list...

Who's staying where:
Fro_Bozz & wife - upper front room
Sheldomaus - bunkhouse
gleek - bunkhouse
Starfalcon - bunkhouse
zgirl - kitchen adjacent room (permanently reserved for Our Glorious Chef, all hail!)
Milo Burke & girlfriend - upper back room

As mentioned there's lots of room for tents in the yard (not so much on the beach this year). There's also still one room with a twin bed open for another couple/family as well as a couple couches. Staying there Friday night and/or Saturday night is fine. Everything is first reserve first serve.
Last edited by drfish on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TR BBQ XIV is over.

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:46 pm

So ... we stay in your house for free?

If so, put me down for that bed. :)

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:26 pm

That's how it works. :)
TR BBQ XIV is over.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:52 pm

Put me in for a tshirt too! Size XL...

Also, if you could, PLEASE make the fabric that nice soft pima cotton (like american apparel sells), they're thin, comfortable, and charmin soft! :)

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:53 pm

thegleek wrote:

Also, if you could, PLEASE make the fabric that nice soft pima cotton (like american apparel sells), they're thin, comfortable, and charmin soft! :)

Working on some more Heady Topper for ya.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:19 pm

thegleek wrote:

Gotta specific suggestion for the base shirt? Sounds kinda pricey... I was hoping for something that I could get for ~$5-10, add a logo to for another ~$5-10 and then sell for ~$30-35 - otherwise it doesn't really help pay for much. Even then I'd really want quite a few of the people coming to sign up for one. We'll give it a few more days and see if more people really like the idea. Maybe my sis can draw up some design concepts to share as well.

...maybe I could open it up to non-attendees as well? If we went that way I'd want to check with Scott first though.
TR BBQ XIV is over.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:34 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
thegleek wrote:

Working on some more Heady Topper for ya.

Holy hot hell! <3 the heady topper. See what you can pick up (I know they sell out like hotcakes). Also, there's a new sheriff in town when it comes to coveted IPA beer's.

Not sure how far/close it is to you or your drive, but the brewery is called Tree House. And it's located at: 160 East Hill Road, Monson, MA 01057

Website is: http://treehousebrew.com/

The beers I would blow a nut for are the following: Julius, Sap, Green, Haze, Double Shot, Good Morning, Tornado, and Eureka!

And if a party store sells any of these CaptNed, see what you can find:
  • NoDa Brewing - Hop Cakes, Hop Drop 'n Roll
  • Asheville Brewing - Shiva IPA
  • Toppling Goliath Brewing - King Sue, pseduo Sue
  • Maine Beer Company - Dinner, Lunch, Another One, Sapping Mammoth
  • Other Half Brewing - Citra IPA, Nelson IPA
  • SingleCut Beersmiths - Billy Full-Stack IIPA

Oh yeah, JBI, some beer requests from your side of the pond:

You can browse through my cellar via this website: http://www.beercellar.me/cellar/thegleek

It's not 100% updated (I drink beers and forget to remove them! lol), but ask and I'll let ya know what to bring along!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:46 pm

thegleek wrote:
Oh yeah, JBI, some beer requests from your side of the pond:

Sidekick, Daisy Cutter, Eugene Porter, and Surly Furious should not be a problem. I've seen Ninja vs. Unicorn and Citra Hero intermittently. Zombie Dust sells out quick when it's available, maybe I will get lucky. The other two Revolutions on that list may be seasonals or something, not sure I've seen them. New Glarus is not distributed to IL, but I do make sure to pick up some Thumbprint series beers whenever I'm in Wisconsin (so it is dependent on whether I make it up to Wisconsin between now and the BBQ).

Edit: What is it with Daisy Cutter anyway? People rave about it, I thought it was nothing special.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:52 pm

drfish wrote:
Gotta specific suggestion for the base shirt? Sounds kinda pricey... I was hoping for something that I could get for ~$5-10, add a logo to for another ~$5-10 and then sell for ~$30-35 - otherwise it doesn't really help pay for much. Even then I'd really want quite a few of the people coming to sign up for one. We'll give it a few more days and see if more people really like the idea. Maybe my sis can draw up some design concepts to share as well.

...maybe I could open it up to non-attendees as well? If we went that way I'd want to check with Scott first though.

Not sure of cost or where to order these from. Just a request. Fill it if possible. Cost is no matter! I'd gladly pay $50 for a limited rare extra-soft TRBBQ collectable tshirt! lol

Anyways, I don't mind the tie-die design, but it would interfere with the text and sponsor logo's that would go on the back!

Some ideas of what to put on the front in a tactful sexy looking organized manner would be the cornhole game, ribs, beer, etc...

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:43 pm

Cool cool, we'll be brainstorming up some ideas, we've got a lot of creative types in the house. :D
TR BBQ XIV is over.

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Concerning t-shirts:

Are we really set on tie-dye? I'm not sure I'd buy one if that's the case.

My favorite geeky t-shirts are attractive cuts with nice colors, and they have logos or geek-nature that could look like some design to the uninformed.

Like with Star Wars shirts. I stay away from the annoying ones and embrace the subtle ones.

Annoying: http://static.gamesradar.com/images/tot ... -scout.jpg
Subtle: http://www.ecomretailshop.com/wp-conten ... 00x300.jpg

I think this color blue could be a nice start, and is not completely separate from TR branding:

http://static5.shop.indiatimes.com/imag ... ue-tee.jpg
(Ignore his douchebag face. Like Keanu Reaves, he can't help it.)

Similar for girls:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0155/9 ... 1397114086

It doesn't have to be blue, but a basic color and cut, and then we work on the design. It could be something straight-up TR in terms of name or acronym with the magnifying glass on circuits. It could be gerbil themed (although I hope it isn't). It could be an inside joke, maybe based around purportedly, or my very own invention: TechPurport. Or maybe it could be some un-wordy reference to looking inside the second. I'm sure we can come up with something.

Concerning alcohol:

I see we've got a lot of people serious about beer. Is anyone else interested in cocktails? Or reasonable dosages of good spirits? If so, maybe we can connect to sip our favorites. I've already waxed poetically about rum, but I've got a few interesting tequilas I could share as well.

And just yesterday I discovered a simple cocktail with apple-flavored whiskey, ginger beer, bitters, and ice that is superb. And a week ago, my girlfriend and I perfected pina coladas - big batches for a big party could be a lot of work, but it could be a lot of fun too.

If nothing else, my girlfriend is a fan of red wine. Maybe some people want to have a mini tasting with people bringing a bottle of their favorite affordable wine to share. Little flights for those who geek out about wine. I'd love to participate.

Not concerning anything:

What general things should I plan on bringing? Is it a pot-luck? Is there a sign-up for foods and sodas and things? Should I buy some lawn chairs? Bring card games or s'more ingredients or a big bag of kazoos?

Maybe if I bring my HD5870, someone will have pity on me and give me an upgrade for free. :D

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:25 pm

I may not be a beer-nut, but there's a lot of brewing going on in the Twin Cities (including Furious). Anything I should grab that may not be available elsewhere?

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:34 pm

The shirt thing is still stewing, hang tight while we work on a couple ideas. Obviously we want mass appeal for a fundraiser type thing so polarizing the issue isn't helpful. We'll make it awesome.

Re: alcohol other than beer - I think pretty much anything you want to do is fine, I just don't recall anything but beer being much of a "thing" at previous BBQs.

Check out last year's first post under "The List" heading for an idea of who brought what last time around. Generally speaking everyone should bring something to sit on otherwise it's mostly just a bring what you can/what you want to make sure is there. :)
TR BBQ XIV is over.

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:45 pm

Is Scott coming this year?

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:49 pm

Unconfirmed but he hasn't missed one since the first time he showed up. :)

Also, added a poll to the thread about the shirt thing.
TR BBQ XIV is over.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Milo Burke wrote:
I may not be a beer-nut, but there's a lot of brewing going on in the Twin Cities (including Furious). Anything I should grab that may not be available elsewhere?

I'd LOVE the following beers from Dangerous Man Brewing, but I think they don't can/bottle, so you can only fill up growlers.
  • Chocolate Milk Stout
  • Coffee Porter
  • Peanut Butter Porter

nom nom nom , oh yeah and of course some SURLY beer's!!!! Furious, Bender, Coffee Bender, etc...

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:05 pm

Speaking of Twin Cities, is Harriet Brewing still around? Bizarre place (kind of felt like a hippie beer-brewing commune) that made pretty good beer some years ago when I visited.

sis_of_fish
Gerbil

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:30 pm

I don't want to complicate stuff too much with the shirt thing, but I can browse through our sample shirts at my workplace and hopefully find ones that are agreeable, depending on what people are looking for. Soft and thin material, tie-dye, less-saturated colours, etc. could each be possible. We have an enormous catalog to order our base clothing from. Some shirts may be more expensive than others, but if it gets you what you want and is something you're more likely to wear, then I don't think it is too unreasonable to have two or three types of shirts available for whatever graphic I manage to come up with. Alternately, I suppose you could pick out your own shirt, mail it to me well in advance, and I can put the image on that specific shirt instead, if you're reeeally worried about what material it is made from...

That being said, does anyone have any other suggestions for what the graphic could include?
Gleek already mentioned "cornhole game, ribs, beer, etc..."

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:33 pm

Ivan!!

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:02 am

I thought about just a shot of his face wearing doggles. Might be too niche though... :wink:

Edit: Had to do it.
ImageImage
TR BBQ XIV is over.