Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:43 pm

superjawes wrote:
Again, it's dumb. I think we agree it's dumb. Move on.

funny, I encouraged people to stop talking about this nonsense before we even had this debate.

Glorious wrote:
If we really want to talk about the "review bombing" there's always R & P, right?

But, no, you guys couldn't let go.

You just don't want to hear anyone that challenges your inaccurate depictions and baseless opinions. So long as you are all back-slapping yourselves, no problem, right?

superjawes wrote:
You've spent more brainpower responding to me than I ever gave to this nonsense.

Please.

superjawes wrote:
Wonder Woman was "spared" because part of the bombing is to prove a "Pro-Disney Conspiracy" (check audience/critic divides on BvS and Justice League). Dragging the scores of a DC film with solid critic scores doesn't fit the goal.

I actually don't even have enough brainpower to figure out WHAT THE HECK THAT IS.

You have an *extraordinarily* elaborate conception of "this" that I only dimly understand, but it seems to involve literal epi-conspiracies.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:14 pm

I mean, leaving aside everything else, do you see what is happening here?

You can't just discuss a movie now, no, that now implicitly involve the concept not only of its fandom, but of it "anti-fandom" (!!!)

Like WHOA META: It's not just whether or not *YOU* liked the movie, but we're suddenly talking about whether or not everyone else likes the movie.

And not just that, but that there are people who seek to -destroy- that movie.

----

You are literally arguing with me with the premise that I must accept the existence of these secret destroyers, that everyone who reads about "this sort of news" just knows they exist. :o

Sorry that I have the audacity to any way question that, or draw attention to "WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED HERE?!?!".

I mean, what do I know? I cited Rotten Tomatoes saying it was an "uptick" in "borderline trolling", not to mention the clear existence of serious (and fundamentally important---fake bad reviews are fraud, polls of "would you see it" are impotent and meaningless---yet they are being directly conflated :roll: ) confusion and misrepresentation.

---

So, you know what, I'm sorry if I don't like your narrative about another narrative that's ultimately, kindof/sortof about a -THIRD- narrative (you know, the actual movie itself!).

You're right. I gave it that meta-meta-narrative a bad "review"---and that's SERIOUS business!

(or maybe I'm just another person conspiring against the [non-existent? I'm not even sure from your statement!] "pro-disney Conspiracy" :P )

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:21 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
The early 2000s Hulk was pretty bad, but I remember the late 2000s Hulk with Edward Norton being pretty good. It has a very different feel than what has come to be an "MCU" film.

late 2000s Hulk is the same as MCU Hulk, but they re-cast with Bark Ruffalo (great dog's name, btw) because Ed Norton was supposedly difficult to work with. They wanted someoen who would go along with the story as-written, I guess. https://www.cbr.com/edward-norton-marve ... k-history/
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:05 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Captain Marvel, yay or nay? Me says kinda yay.

I'm saying yay. Now the Internet can spend the next six weeks or so crafting theories on the pivotal role Goose will play in saving the MCU.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 pm

New Endgame trailer has been posted. It went up 6 hours ago and has 10 million views. :o
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Redocbew wrote:
New Endgame trailer has been posted. It went up 6 hours ago and has 10 million views. :o

Up to 54 M now

https://youtu.be/TcMBFSGVi1c

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:07 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Captain Marvel, yay or nay? Me says kinda yay.

I'm saying yay. Now the Internet can spend the next six weeks or so crafting theories on the pivotal role Goose will play in saving the MCU.

"Mutha-flerken" yay as Fury would say...anyway, just got back from seeing it with my daughters at a military base theater. I enjoyed it and it is fun following the MCU stories with my kids. Everyone clapped at the opening homage to Stan Lee. Brie Larson also did a quick introductory video thanking service members and for assisting her in the role of an Air Force pilot.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

kvndoom
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:41 am

superjawes wrote:
::deep, deep sigh::

Look. I'm not going to waste my day arguing with you, Glorious. There's a (vocal) minority of people who want to see the film fail, and they've used tools on sites like Rotten Tomatoes as part of their campaign. It doesn't matter if "want to see" isn't the technical, literal, dictionary definition of "review". This is a thing that's happening, it's not just on RT, and it's really dumb. You've spent more brainpower responding to me than I ever gave to this nonsense.

Again, it's dumb. I think we agree it's dumb. Move on.

Glorious is right. Even when he's not, he is right. Seldom is it worth replying, which is why I didn't bother. It wasn't just the thumbs up/thumbs down, it was the comments being left by people who hadn't even seen the film yet. A combination of many things. But whatever... Glorious is right. Half page dissertation by Glorious to explain why he's right I'm wrong incoming in 3... 2... 1... :roll:
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

kvndoom
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

Up to 54 M now

Can't wait for this movie! I haven't been so anxious to go see a film since Star Wars 7.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:46 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

Up to 54 M now

Based solely on CapMarv's slight smile at Thor in that trailer, does this mean these two are gonna be a "thing"? If so, I want them to have kids. Lots of 'em!

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 am

kvndoom wrote:
Glorious is right. Even when he's not, he is right. Seldom is it worth replying, which is why I didn't bother. It wasn't just the thumbs up/thumbs down, it was the comments being left by people who hadn't even seen the film yet. A combination of many things. But whatever... Glorious is right. Half page dissertation by Glorious to explain why he's right I'm wrong incoming in 3... 2... 1...

Comments left by people who hadn't seen the film, because it wasn't released yet. :roll:

Those, once again, are not "reviews".

This "thing", this "campaign" that is "happening" is apparently an article of faith with you two, and not only does it have nothing to with the actual movie itself as a movie, it also has very little to do with the FACTS.

There was self-admitted error by Rotten Tomatoes that lead to erroneous reporting that upon Captain Marvel's actual release an army of trolls bombed the audience reviews.

I proved this by Rotten Tomatoe's own words.

I also cited their words to show that you were falling for a false conflation, and it was *that* false conflation that led them to remove "want to see" etc...

Additionally, their own words once again simply say that there was an "uptick" of "borderline trolling", but yet *I* am being castigated for doubting, in any capacity, that there is some sort of meta-narrative about involving dueling worldviews, once is some sort of DCU-positive "pro-disney conspiracy" and another is .. I don't know. I guess they don't like Captain Marvel because she's a female MCU character?

---

Pro-tip: I have a deeply-seated personal antipathy for those "things" that "everyone knows" but literally no one can even remotely demonstrate let alone argue. Double-points when my interlocutors get mad because "Ok well you're right in regards to the facts but since you just *have* to be right you are therefore just wrong". :roll:

----

I thought this was about superhero chick and some dude and a cat?

What on earth are you two talking about?

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:31 am

the wrote:
No Doubt's "About a girl" makes sense for the film but misplaced inside of it.

I agree with pretty much everything except this.

They queued it when she got boosted. The song is a counterpoint to the events on screen. It was timed so the line "I'm just a girl, little ol' me" is playing right when she starts kicking major ass. Exquisite timing, A+++, I had to swallow a laugh.

Nirvana's song, in contrast, was completely pointless. I remember hearing it but can't pair it with a scene---which means it didn't work with the scene at all. For me, anyway.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:41 pm

TheRazorsEdge wrote:
the wrote:
No Doubt's "About a girl" makes sense for the film but misplaced inside of it.

I agree with pretty much everything except this.

They queued it when she got boosted. The song is a counterpoint to the events on screen. It was timed so the line "I'm just a girl, little ol' me" is playing right when she starts kicking major ass. Exquisite timing, A+++, I had to swallow a laugh.

Nirvana's song, in contrast, was completely pointless. I remember hearing it but can't pair it with a scene---which means it didn't work with the scene at all. For me, anyway.

Come As You Are was playing on a record player in her head when she fights with the Supreme Intelligence in the scene just before I'm Just a Girl.
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.