Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

MCU

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:31 am

I can't find the thread where I discuss the Marvel Studios Cinematic Universe so I started this one.

Everyone and their brother knows by now Sony was hacked and a treasure trove of information is making its way to the net one of the most mind blowing revalations is this.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: MCU

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:13 am

I'll admit that I haven't seen Amazing Spider-Man 2, but from everything I've heard, it seems that Sony are intent on killing another Spider-Man movie franchise...

At any rate, the MCU guys know what they're doing, and Sony are missing out on a grand opportunity.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:18 am

That's my thoughts too. And if Marvel wanted Spidy for CA 3 means that they wanted to stay close /true to the source material. Production is suppose to start in April 2015 in Atlanta. So that means the script is mostly, if not completely, done. And this revelation will never come to fruition. Sad to think what-might-have-been.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:21 am

Might as well leave this here...

The Guardians of the Galaxy Honest Trailer
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:30 am

I loved GotG. They did very well with it. Why does everyone seem to knock it? Besides sure they are Avengers in space much like the Justice League is also like the Avengers. Heck even to the 'T' DC and Marvel heroes and villains mirror each other. /shrug
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:27 am

So catching up on Agents of Shield and the midseason finale dropped one mother of a bombshell. I have to admit being skeptical about AoS I find it way better than Green Arrow or Flash. Sometimes the DC offerings are a bit hokey.

Without trying to spoil things too much, but if Marvel is trying to playout the Civil War story line I wonder how they will go about it since they cannot use the Xmen or even the word mutant.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:55 am

I started Agents of Shield a few weeks ago when it dropped on Netflix. I'll have to catch up and start keeping tabs on it as we head into Ultron because the Winter Soldier episodes were pretty good, IMO.

The best part is that they're building up characters for later Marvel movies. I mean, I wasn't exaclt subtle that "Odin" ordered Lorelei back to Asgard...

And I think we're going to get some shennanigans with Inhumans to build up some of the Civil War stuff. They don't need X-Men, as they've already established that there are "gifted" people all over the place (in Agents). One more thing to consider: the Infinity Stone in Loki's scepter seems like it might have something to do with the creation of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. If someone just starts blasting out cosmic voodoo from that, I could see several unwilling "mutants" get created to help drive the storyline, too.

Regardless, I will like how these stories interweave with the Phase 3 films. Phase 2 relied pretty heavily on existing characters (Iron Man, Captain, Thor), but the breakout hit was definitely Guardians, which allows for much more development of non-Avengers characters, especially paired with a running TV show that is part of the MCU.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:06 am

Oh, SJ you are in for a ride with AoS if you just started. Like I said I was skeptical at first. The first episodes for AoS were just blah but its gotten legs since about midway in Season 1. Season 2 has really been great and yeah it's had me go Google things/references/people from time to time. I had to even break out the comics I have stashed away and re-read them. I even subscribed to Marvel Unlimited so I can download comics at will (shameless plug).
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:00 pm

I'm getting tired of comic movies in general.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:50 am

Well its official (if you havent heard), Spiderman is coming back to Marvel....somewhat. Now they can do Civil War correctly.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062/son ... spider-man

Now only if Marvel....err......Disney can reign in X-Men.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:01 am

I am fine letting Fox get out at least one more X-Men movie. They definitely got their groove back with Days of Future Past, so they deserve a chance to close their current continuity.

That being said, the Sony deal--if it goes well--should set up a precedent for future agreements, which means that Marvel can let other studios produce films while keeping a high standard of quality for individual films as well as the running Cinematic Universe. In particular, it could lead to some options for television/mini-series, too.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:57 am

While not directly related to Marvel this is an interesting read:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... ce=twitter

WB & DC are failing. There's some awesome stories to tell from the DC comics universe but the lack of direction is appalling. I am almost positive the upcoming Superman vs Batman movie will fall short. If they wanted to visit that 'meeting' then they should have opted for a direct pull from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel. (This and Batman: The Killing Joke are my all time favorites)

Back to MCU. If you plan on catching Avengers: Age of Ultron this weekend I implore you to get caught up on Agents of Shield especially this weeks episode. There are some lead ins to it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:26 am

WB/DC are just trying to get on the same level of Avengers as fast as possible, but they're forgetting that it took four years and five (arguably four) movies to prep the first one. The last DC movie that was good (IMO) was The Dark Knight.

Anyway...I don't think I'm going to have time to catch up on Agents as I haven't been watching this season as it airs, and I will be seeing Age of Ultron this weekend.

And because I haven't seen it mentioned, Daredevil is excellent. Go watch it. Not safe for kids, tho.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:44 am

Oh yes Daredevil.....was top notch. Its everything I could wish for and want. The amount of easter eggs and foreshadowing is jaw dropping. (the Karen Page foreshadowing was never ending!) Never would I expect Stich or even Mother Crane. It gives me high hopes for Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. Lastly .....Deborah Ann Woll, and I thought she was hawt as an angsty young vampire......but in DD daaaaaaannnnnnggggggg. 8)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 am

I am raising this thread from the dead because we have some good stuff coming in 2017...

May: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Marvel's first "can do no wrong" film gets its sequel. Plus, Baby Groot!

July: Spider-Man Homecoming
Sony and Marvel working together to bring Spider-Man into the MCU was great in Civil War, but now Tom Holland gets his own film with Michael Keaton playing the villain.

November: Thor Ragnarok
Less is known about this one, but we do know that Hulk and Doctor Strange will be joining Thor on this outing.

And that's just in cinema. We also have the Netflix-MCU. Iron Fist is scheduled for March release, with The Punsiher and The Defenders also expected this year.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:51 am

Don't forget Marvel's Cloak and Dagger. Its going to be on the Freeform channel.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Mon May 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was excellent. My short review: "I went in for action and all I got was FEELINGS." And that's basically the takeaway. Some of the plot threads were super obvious, but the character development more than made up for it. I was also pleased to see longer-term villain development mid-credits (similar to Doctor Strange).

Oh, and I'm pretty sure there's a reference for Captain Ned near the end. Seeing a Zune made me wonder if Microsoft bought the spot from Apple out of pure spite :lol:

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2017 1:13 pm

superjawes wrote:
Seeing a Zune made me wonder if Microsoft bought the spot from Apple out of pure spite :lol:

Oh I'm sure. Makes me wonder If that guy who got the zune tattoo still has it
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon May 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Captain Ned still has it, yes ( I don't mean the physical device :P )

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Glorious wrote:

And It Plays... For Sure.*

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Glorious wrote:

OH RLY?? Took this just now.

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon May 08, 2017 4:52 pm

Oh wow I thought it broke at some point and all you had left was (jokingly) a symbolic form of your devotion.

Glad to hear it is still kicking!

(was it JBI, then, who replaced his rockbox with his phone? My memory fails)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Haven't seen the movie yet (hoping for good drive-in weather this weekend, 'cause this IS a drive-in movie), but just from the trailers I know I'm one of the few here old enough to know what Star Lord's "sensor device" really is, and to have played it when it first came out. Some of its bleeps are even memorialized in Supertramp's "The Logical Song".

EDIT: I've got a couple of dead 120GB disk-based models, but the HDs just seem to keep on chooglin'. I even know how (and have the requisite tools for) to replace the battery when it stops holding a charge. That said, it doesn't get a whole lot of portable use these days and usually just pumps tunes to the car stereo or the office headphone rig, both of which I can keep on cord. Daughter's is holding on strong as well. MS built these things well. I've opened daughter's up once, and the damn thing has a cast magnesium frame that withstood being rolled over by a car without deforming.

superjawes

Mon May 08, 2017 5:21 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
(hoping for good drive-in weather this weekend, 'cause this IS a drive-in movie)
Drive-in...not something I've though about (then again, the only one near my hometown closed down several years ago). I might have to look into that and rope some friends into an outing.

The wife and I are mostly seeing movies at a dine-in theater now. Our local joint has some rally good food, Lay-Z-Boy style recliners, and ticket prices are basically the same as any other theater.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Movies mean daughter & I, as SWMBO has no interest in the MCU, sci-fi, or anything that isn't a rom-com or an indie "2 sorry hipsters moaning about their broken lives for 2 hours". I've long passed the point where I can feign even the slightest interest in anything like that.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Glorious wrote:
(was it JBI, then, who replaced his rockbox with his phone? My memory fails)

To quote Ed McMahon, "You sir are correct (belch)".

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I've got a couple of dead 120GB disk-based models, but the HDs just seem to keep on chooglin'. I even know how (and have the requisite tools for) to replace the battery when it stops holding a charge. That said, it doesn't get a whole lot of portable use these days and usually just pumps tunes to the car stereo or the office headphone rig, both of which I can keep on cord. Daughter's is holding on strong as well. MS built these things well. I've opened daughter's up once, and the damn thing has a cast magnesium frame that withstood being rolled over by a car without deforming.

So the device outlived the service attached to it? That's a good sign.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
So the device outlived the service attached to it? That's a good sign.

Never used the service, just ripped & played back. That said, I'll need to set up an 8.1 VM when I finally move to 10 as the Zune software won't work on 10, and it's the only way to move files to the device (and yes, MANY things have been tried).

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 09, 2017 2:32 am

I still have my 80GB Zune. It still works. I still use it. Aside from a cracked screen my old 30GB Zune works too.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue May 09, 2017 5:11 am

Chuck: "Do we carry any Rush CDs in the store?"
Morgan: "No need. I got 'em all on my Zune."
Chuck: "You have a Zune???"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHLIFDtT9s
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Sat May 13, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2