Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: MCU

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 pm

kvndoom wrote:
"OMG BEST MCU MOVIE YET" is still Captain America 3 for me personally.

No way. It was CA2, with that elevator scene, and then the whole 'enemy within' aspect. The whole MCU spun on its axis for that movie.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

the
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:37 am

Just got back from the new Avengers movie and if you've read the comics it was based upon, the major elements they hold true to. Granted the number of heroes in the comics doesn't have to work around the quagmire of legal rights to cinemas and thus they had to work around with what they've built before hand.

So is it good? Yes. The plot works and builds up pretty much organically. Character's are introduced to each other for the first time and they behave like they've just met. They formulate plans as they would. They adapt as they should. The ending is great and highlights the comic roots.

Are there things that could have been improved? Yes. Only one of Thanos's minions has any hint of a backstory which is fine as they are ulitmately minions. Just would have been nice to have heard their names a few more times. My wife is busy calling Proxima Midnight that evil Zelda girl and I can't blame as I can't remember that character's name ever being mentioned. Thanos has some layers though his motivations are far weaker here than in the comics. I thought they'd tie Thanos's drive in this movie with a character introduced in Thor Ragnorok. That would have worked better and really wouldn't have changed much of anything already in the film. Thanos's abilities are uneven. He should be continually increasing in power but at times he seemingly reverts backward after pulling off something mind boggling.

The really bad? If this is your first Marvel movie. That problem with Proxima Midnight is only amplified. You'd think Rocket Raccoon was named Rabbit.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:18 am

I want a Thor and Rabbit movie right now! LOL
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:02 am

THAR BE MILD SPOILERS, MATEY!

Saw Infinity War yesterday and... just wow. Part way through I had to pee, and there was never a moment where I felt I could "take 5" and run to the bathroom. Not often where an "action flick" is literally 95% action. Amazing fight scenes. Even for 2.5 hours, it could have been a 4 hour movie just to flesh out other events that took place between Thor Ragnarok and IW.

Regarding some of the reviews that portrayed Thanatos' "sentimental moment" as a negative aspect. He had to make a sacrifice to achieve his goal, but some were put off with him crying and so forth. But really, you have to put it in the context of feelings for family. Even some of the most heinous and ruthless criminals, both real and imagined, always had strong bonds to family. So a monster is capable of love. And if you go back to the original Guardians of the Galaxy, Nebula was always jealous that Gamora was Thanos' favorite daughter. Even aboard his ship, he had no reservations about torturing Nebula while he never caused Gamora any physical harm (until he tossed her off a cliff, obviously). :o

Far as how it's going to be wrapped up... well a few things I've considered. 1) Thanos didn't so much "kill" half of all life but instead wiped it from existence. No one dropped dead, they just disappeared. 2)
there's already another Spider Man Homecoming film in the works, food for thought there. 3) this isn't the first time Peter Quill has been vaporized by an Infinity Stone.

Oh, and definitely stay for the post-credits scene (even if you're about to wet yourself, like I was). A certain somebody's last words before being wiped from existence... that was priceless.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:35 am

kvndoom wrote:
Far as how it's going to be wrapped up... well a few things I've considered. 1) Thanos didn't so much "kill" half of all life but instead wiped it from existence. No one dropped dead, they just disappeared. 2)
there's already another Spider Man Homecoming film in the works, food for thought there. 3) this isn't the first time Peter Quill has been vaporized by an Infinity Stone.

The fact that the new guys are the ones that died sapped all of the emotion and suspense out of it for me

I really super-enjoyed it, and based on how many spoilers I've seen on the internet, I'm glad I went Friday morning and just stayed off the internet for the 12 hours between release and my showtime. People online are serious jerks hellbent on making sure that nobody can enjoy a damned thing. Not here, of course, because you guys are using spoiler tags, but my wife told me that morning before we went that Twitter and Facebook had completely ruined the movie for her. I threatened to tape her mouth shut if she did the same to me. :lol:

Way I figure it, Part 2 will be like Infinity Gauntlet comics where either Rodgers or Stark will manage to get the glove and snap everyone back into existence, and very well could snap it back to a point in time before Thanos wiped everyone else out in the first place, basically rendering the whole thing moot. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:53 am

Well Dr. Strange did see 14 million possibilities and only one where they win. I guess this is that one! Man was I ever excited about seeing a post credits scene. That One Character I have been waiting to see for such a long time, even more than Rocket and Groot! I'm such a comics nerd.

The Spidey scene literally broke my heart though.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:50 am

I thoroughly enjoyed it. They are going to make a lot of money.

I loved loved loved Thanos as the villain. It's amazing what they can do with motion capture. I found it all quite believable within its framework. I did not read the original comics but remember when they came out. I was more into X-Men at the time. But his motivation...there are people in our world who really think the same way, or even more.

Peter Dinklage - what a pleasant surprise. Rocket Raccoon was awesome as usual. Thinking back, where was Ant-Man? Everyone else, as far as I can tell, was present. (I'm probably forgetting someone, and I'm not counting Agent Colson.)

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:53 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed it. They are going to make a lot of money.

They already made more opening weekend than Justice League's entire run. :lol: I have not seen it yet though.

superjawes

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:08 am

So we know that Avengers [4] is coming out May 2019, so I propose we maintain the spoiler tags until the official title is announced (at least in this thread). Sound good?

Anyway... I do like Infinity War, but it feels weird because I am not sure it stands on its own the way literally any other MCU movie does. And frankly, that might have been fine if Disney/Marvel hadn't spilled the beans on making this a 2-part affair. I am sure that anyone paying attention (and keeping track of release dates) could see where this was going, but letting that despair linger a bit longer might have provided a better "OMG they really killed off half the universe" effect. Knowing that this was always going to be a 2-parter, I was at partially clocked out of the emotional part from the moment Loki died.

ANYWAY, there are at least three moments I am waiting for. 1, The obvious reconciliation between Steve and Tony. 2, Steve getting his real shield back. 3, Bringing back that whole "Avenging" idea. Having a good chunk of the plot dedicated just to beating on the bad guys should be satisfying.

Anyone up for some crazier, just-for-fun predictions?

1. Doctor Strange didn't get wiped out. He simply made it look that way so he can take part in the next fight.
2. Clark Gregg shows up. Don't know how, don't know when, but he gets to wink at his Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. audience.
3. Playing off the "should he be worthy" angle from Mjolnir, someone who isn't Thor (probably Steve) picks up the Stormbreaker to smack down Thanos.
4. Whatever the heroes do to restore half the universe brings back more than just the good guys. Sure, we might see Quicksilver again, but bringing back some of the better villains could be a great setup for future Avengers films.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

superjawes

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:20 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Peter Dinklage - what a pleasant surprise.
Him and Hugo Weaving. Might actually be worth watching again just to see if there were any more Easter Eggs like that.

Thinking back, where was Ant-Man? Everyone else, as far as I can tell, was present. (I'm probably forgetting someone, and I'm not counting Agent Colson.)
Hawkeye was away, as were Valkyrie and the other Ragnarok heroes (unless I just missed their corpses). The Ant-Man film is taking place pre-snap, probably due to production timings being weird (I think Ant-Man was originally going to be in Avengers 1), but it also provides a chance to pick him back up now that the team is short-handed.

kvndoom wrote:
Regarding some of the reviews that portrayed Thanatos' "sentimental moment" as a negative aspect. He had to make a sacrifice to achieve his goal, but some were put off with him crying and so forth. But really, you have to put it in the context of feelings for family. Even some of the most heinous and ruthless criminals, both real and imagined, always had strong bonds to family. So a monster is capable of love. And if you go back to the original Guardians of the Galaxy, Nebula was always jealous that Gamora was Thanos' favorite daughter. Even aboard his ship, he had no reservations about torturing Nebula while he never caused Gamora any physical harm (until he tossed her off a cliff, obviously). :o
Infinity War is basically an origin story for Thanos. He's the biggest, baddest villain of the MCU (at least so far), so they're taking the time to build his power and motivation up for his overdue butt-whipping. Also, there's something really nice about his motivations being understandable, but taken to the absolute extreme. He's got a lot in common with Valentine, the villain from Kingsman (played by Samuel L Jackson!), when it comes to wiping out a population to ultimately "save" it.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:34 am

Ugh. Now I have to go see the movie just so I can ride herd on the thread. Oh well, it's playing at the local drive-in (yes Virginia, we still have a drive-in) as a double feature with Black Panther and the weather is supposed to be OK, so I guess that's when I'll go. After all, flicks like these just scream "drive-in movie".
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:44 pm

So I completely glossed over the fact of Marvel's commitment to what transpired in the pages of comic books as one of the most iconic actions ever to take place in a comic........and that's the SNAP. Never in a million years would I have thought that anyone trying to bring to life comic characters on the big screen would even think about doing that. To think back...10 YEARS all led to this defining moment. TEN FRACKING YEARS of commitment! I've known marriages that were dissolved in less time. That's commitment! And its also why DC will never take off and be as disjointed and uneven as it is. Sure they'll have one offs here and there but nothing more.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:13 pm

DC's (also WB's) problem is that they only see the connected universe and haven't laid any of the groundwork needed for audiences to invest. Their strategy is to jump out of the plane and design the parachute on the way down. Heck, that's been almost everyone's strategy trying to follow Marvel/Disney with their own shared universe of film. And I think I've said it before, but the sad thing about DC is that they did get it right...in television. The Superman and Batman animated shows led to Justice League, and Arrow led to The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow.

What really made the MCU successful (IMO) were the course corrections. Hulk movie wasn't great? Rollout another Iron Man. Loki outshone Thor? Put him in Avengers. Chris Evans is a perfect Steve Rogers? Now he's the heart of the MCU (some co-ownership with RDJ). They build upon everything that works and basically ignore anything that doesn't. Commitment is good, but adaptability makes everything better.

Of course, WB/DC are probably going to screw up their own course correction by doing a Flashpoint reset before making ALL OF THE SAME MISTAKES that plagued them the first time around.

kvndoom

Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:24 pm

On the Marvel/DC side of things, this caught my attention immediately, and they were smart to put it in the first 5 minutes of the movie:

Justice League: Superman comes in at the end and whoops Steppenwolf like a rag doll. Easy peasy, just get your "over 9000 hero" to mop up at the end.

Infinity War: Hulk jumps Thanos right at the beginning of the film. Thanos W H I P S. H I S. A S S. Hulk refuses to even come out and play for the rest of the freaking movie! :oops:

THAT is what you expect of a supervillain. And there's a lot of nuance when you consider all the ways the MCU movies led up to this. Thor teaming up with Hulk in Ragnarok just to ensure Hulk is on the ship to face Thanos, for example.

kvndoom

Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:29 pm

superjawes wrote:
What really made the MCU successful (IMO) were the course corrections. Hulk movie wasn't great? Rollout another Iron Man.

I'm really glad they looked at results and adjusted dynamically. Hulk has the same problem as Superman- it's hard to make a feature film centered around an invincible being. There has to be some sense of threat to the hero's existence to really make the audience care. Batman vs Superman at least did that right at the end with the kryptonite spear, then turned around and ruined it with the "floating rocks" scene telling the audience "don't worry, he'll be back in the next film."

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:39 pm

I saw the movie Saturday night. As someone who went in completely blind (as in I haven't really watched a single superhero movie) I was totally blown away. I've never been into comics or superheroes, but if Infinity War is representative of what the experience is like, I totally get it now. I also naively thought that all the superhero movies that had been released in the last ~10 years or so were basically standalone films, that didn't really connect with one another. I give major props to the folks for embarking on an ambitious long-term story through a series of movies, that is pretty incredible to me.

I think I need to go back and watch all the MCU movies now, and then re-watch Infinity War.

superjawes

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:08 pm

kvndoom wrote:
I'm really glad they looked at results and adjusted dynamically. Hulk has the same problem as Superman- it's hard to make a feature film centered around an invincible being. There has to be some sense of threat to the hero's existence to really make the audience care.
It's been a while, but I do remember the Norton flick doing a decent job of making a creature feature. The issue was primarily that of pacing and completely losing characterization on Banner AND Hulk during transformations, resulting in a problem> Hulkout > walk to next scene cycle that saps much of the tension. I think they finally got it right by Ragnarok, but it may always be weird since Hulk is your primary action character, and I haven't seen anyone really put both characters in a scene.

The Superman issue is...people don't understand Superman, and that's an issue for a DC thread.

kvndoom wrote:
Hulk jumps Thanos right at the beginning of the film. Thanos W H I P S. H I S. A S S. Hulk refuses to even come out and play for the rest of the freaking movie! :oops:
I forgot to mention this! I love this setup! You've got a real(ish) relationship between Banner and Hulk, and a great setup for Part 2. I am looking forward to this payoff, and it definitely provides a good (additional) reason for the heroes losing.

SecretMaster wrote:
I think I need to go back and watch all the MCU movies now, and then re-watch Infinity War.
Welcome to the club? :lol:
Okay, so you probably want to start with Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger. Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 are more optional, but do that as the lead up to Avengers (the 2012 one). That's just because the setup is so worth it, and there's that ONE shot (MCU vets know what I'm talking about) that changes cinema forever by cementing the MCU as a dynasty.

From there, one of the great things about the MCU is that almost every film stands on its own, so you don't really NEED to watch anything in order to enjoy another film. It certainly enhances the experience ("I understood that reference!"), but you could easily watch these completely out of order and have a great time.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:37 pm

I've been doing that all weekend, watching them out of order. Friday night was GotG vol1, Saturday was Avengers 1 and 2 (in order, at least), yesterday was Civil War, and today was Iron Man 3. I'm starting to piece it all together but I really wish I had started at the beginning. :lol:

I think tonight will be GotG vol 2, which I haven't seen at all.

My impression was that the reason they skipped Hulk 2 was because of Ed Norton, not so much the material. His invincibility was offset by his uncontrollability and that's always fun. Plus rumor has it that Norton wanted tons of rewrites that dragged the movie down.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that Josh Brolin plays Thanos in Avengers AND Cable in Deadpool 2 when both are airing at the same time?

Saw the movie last night. Loved the character chemistry, especially with so many characters meeting each other for the first time. One defining feature that makes me enjoy MCU movies over DC is the comedic sprinkles.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 09, 2018 1:46 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that Josh Brolin plays Thanos in Avengers AND Cable in Deadpool 2 when both are airing at the same time?

Saw the movie last night. Loved the character chemistry, especially with so many characters meeting each other for the first time. One defining feature that makes me enjoy MCU movies over DC is the comedic sprinkles.

I saw Avengers: IW and Only the Brave one night apart and while both "star" Josh Brolin, there was no confusion about that in my mind whatsoever. In my opinion, he wasn't recognizably Josh Brolin in Avengers. It was all CGI and it wasn't his standard/natural voice. I don't think there will be any confusion.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed May 09, 2018 3:19 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
DPete27 wrote:

I saw Avengers: IW and Only the Brave one night apart and while both "star" Josh Brolin, there was no confusion about that in my mind whatsoever. In my opinion, he wasn't recognizably Josh Brolin in Avengers. It was all CGI and it wasn't his standard/natural voice. I don't think there will be any confusion.

We call that "acting". Not many bother anymore.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 09, 2018 3:28 pm

The Deadpool 2 trailer actually plays it up, with Deadpool calling Cable "Thanos".

And no, not bothered by it.

superjawes

Wed May 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Deadpool gets a pass on a lot of things. I was VERY happy with Hugh Jackman's sendoff in Logan, and while I never want to see him play Wolverine in another X-Men movie, I would totally support a reprisal for a Deadpool one.

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Wed May 09, 2018 4:56 pm

superjawes wrote:
Deadpool gets a pass on a lot of things. I was VERY happy with Hugh Jackman's sendoff in Logan, and while I never want to see him play Wolverine in another X-Men movie, I would totally support a reprisal for a Deadpool one.

This and then some. Taking the censor off of Jackman and let him go toe to toe with Reynold's Deadpool would be perfection in motion

As to A:IW I'm going to see it again this weekend I think. Assuming mother's day activities don't take opportunities away. I remember Infinity Gauntlet when I was a teen and I'm super happy how they played it out. Thor...though...THOR is the one I remember from the comic books. About time!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 09, 2018 5:03 pm

Bomber wrote:
As to A:IW I'm going to see it again this weekend I think.

The weather this weekend is supposed to be perfect and the local drive-in (yes, ours paid the price to go digital projection and is thriving as a result) has IW and Black Panther as a double-bill all weekend. Can't imagine two more perfect drive-in flicks.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Wed May 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Bomber wrote:
As to A:IW I'm going to see it again this weekend I think.

The weather this weekend is supposed to be perfect and the local drive-in (yes, ours paid the price to go digital projection and is thriving as a result) has IW and Black Panther as a double-bill all weekend. Can't imagine two more perfect drive-in flicks.

That is fantastic! We had one until a few years ago. Now it's an apartment complex :(

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon May 14, 2018 10:09 am

#5 movie all time worldwide (not adjusted for inflation).

It is very rare that I ever want to see a movie twice in the theater but I may have to make an exception here. I am still amazed that they made it work with that many characters.

superjawes

Mon May 14, 2018 11:06 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I am still amazed that they made it work with that many characters.
Weren't we saying that about the original Avengers film? :lol:

Also, they're mainly getting away with it because Thanos is the protagonist of this film. Obviously not the good guy, but giving him the story means that everyone else can be secondary, which is important considering HOW MANY there are.

And as a partial bonus, I suspect that wiping out that many Avengers (or potential Avengers) means that the follow-up will be easier because total number of main characters is limited, so making it "work" is less of a challenge.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon May 14, 2018 11:24 am

superjawes wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
I am still amazed that they made it work with that many characters.
Weren't we saying that about the original Avengers film? :lol:

Also, they're mainly getting away with it because Thanos is the protagonist of this film. Obviously not the good guy, but giving him the story means that everyone else can be secondary, which is important considering HOW MANY there are.

And as a partial bonus, I suspect that wiping out that many Avengers (or potential Avengers) means that the follow-up will be easier because total number of main characters is limited, so making it "work" is less of a challenge.

Yeah, but if you don't think that's getting walked back in the first 30 min of NextMovie, you may not be up to speed on how Marvel does things. On the other hand, Im expecting Stark to retire and Rogers to maybe get shot in the next movie, for real world and storyline reasons. What I’d really love to see would be some sort of cosmic “fix” to the spoiler event, maybe drag in large portions of House of M, and let the Mutantverse come flooding into the MCU as the Deus Ex Machina that wraps up the Thanos/Infinity uber-arc. I think the Avengers, New Avengers, and X-Men, all teamed up would be a fine counter to the big purple guy. If Rogers and/or Stark are written out, too, it would allow the Avengers/New Avengers merge back up. If you bring the Mutantverse/X-verse in, you could even put together one of the iconic Avengers lineups.

The Roy Thomas Avengers are pretty much the gold standard, and they’re mostly what we’ve had, minus Hercules.
Roster: Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Giant-Man, Wasp, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Black Panther, Hercules

The Brian Michael Bendis Avengers are more recent and also iconic, and they’d require more work and more new characters, but would work well with an X-verse merge-in;
Roster: Captain America, Iron Man, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman, The Sentry, Ronin

Plus if the MCU folds the X-universe into the main MCU, it allows for pretty much unlimited recasting. I know Huge Jackman has said he’s done with the claws, but a DofP type crossover and handoff to a new younger actor might tempt him out of retirement. Just imagine talking him into taking on Old Man Logan, alongside some new young prime Wolverine?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:07 pm

I probably spent too much time thinking about this, but I think I found the way that Captain Marvel relates to the ending of Infinity War:

The movie happens, all the events are in the 90s, so whatever happens happens. Who cares. The mid-credits scene flashes back forward to the end of Infinity War, when Nick Fury sends the page. Picture the scene light years away when she finally gets it and...she's already been turned to dust.

That's it, the two movies are unrelated. Boom, nailed it!