Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: MCU

Thu May 11, 2017 1:11 pm

I was the only person barely containing maniacal cackling at the Zune reveal, in our theater.

In one sense, it's a reversal, Peter had a Walkman before, which was iconic and world-conquering. Now he has a Zune, which while beloved by a minority, was otherwise universally despised (how does the ancient meme go? "Less storage and battery than a Nomad, LAME"?).

On the other hand, look at who got it and gave it to him... Perfect "Oh no, I swear it's awesome, I had to pay a fortune for it, but it's your planet's birthright!".

I lurved it lots.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:26 am

Boom goes the Dynamite:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/its-official-th ... 1821139320

After weeks of teasing the public with reports of false starts and stops, Disney and Fox have settled on a massive $52 billion deal in which all of 21st Century’s film rights are being sold to the House of Mouse.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 am

tanker27 wrote:
After weeks of teasing the public with reports of false starts and stops, Disney and Fox have settled on a massive $52 billion deal in which all of 21st Century’s film rights are being sold to the House of Mouse.

The real question is whether they would roll Xmen into MCU.
I cannot see them doing it... there are just too many characters.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:46 am

they have been skirting around the X-men in their movies for years. And they have been avoiding using the term 'mutants'. So I see them folding in X-Men easy as it unleashes their stories for having to side step the elephant in the room. I see this as a good thing.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:47 am

Arvald wrote:

There really aren't that many characters to worry about. Fox have only focused on a few since the beginning, while the vast supporting cast is mostly providing "Hey! I know that character!" moments. If they really want a ton of characters, television is a better platform for that. (How are those shows going, btw?)

Besides, they can reboot. Most of the original cast from the 2000 run have retired their roles, and First Class through Apocalypse Dark Phoenix is a mess. The only salvageable characters atm are Jackman's Wolverine (mostly retired), and Reynolds's Deadpool (who can drop in and out of the MCU as he pleases).

So as soon as Marvel have an opening, they can do an InfinityMcGuffin to retcon mutants in. Heck, that would probably be good to reset the spectacle creep of 3+ Avengers films, letting them go back to smaller stories, AND it would be an exit point for anyone who wants to retire from their MCU roles (assuming anyone wants to).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:53 am

io9 wrote:
Properties like Avatar, The Simpsons, FX Networks and National Geographic will also fold into Disney’s portfolio according to the official release.

Does that mean Lisa Simpson is a Disney princess now? Exactly what she wouldn't want. :lol:

Also a majority stake in Hulu. What happens to the Disney-specific streaming stuff they've been talking about? They bought out BAMTech just to do it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 am

superjawes wrote:
... television is a better platform for that. (How are those shows going, btw?)

The Netflix shows are swimmingly good. There are some missteps *cough*Iron Fist*cough* but the majority are good. The other offerings are doing well....well....except for the Inhumans crap. I am excited about Cloak and Dagger. The Runaways is fun as hell! MCU's TV/Streaming is by far better than DC's soap opera 5#!7.

derFunkenstein wrote:
Also a majority stake in Hulu. What happens to the Disney-specific streaming stuff they've been talking about? They bought out BAMTech just to do it.

Speculation is that that they wouldnt put any money into it moving forward with their own branded service. I am ok with this. I have given HULU way too many tries but It's terrible to me when compared to Netflix. (the commercials are terrible)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:37 am

tanker27 wrote:
The Netflix shows are swimmingly good. There are some missteps *cough*Iron Fist*cough* but the majority are good. The other offerings are doing well....well....except for the Inhumans crap. I am excited about Cloak and Dagger. The Runaways is fun as hell! MCU's TV/Streaming is by far better than DC's soap opera 5#!7.
I was actually asking about the X-Men shows. I've seen most of the Marvel stuff (yeah, Iron Fist weighs down everyone else), but aren't Fox running a couple X-Men shows right now? Or is it just Legion?

And DCTV is pretty darn good. Grant Gustin set the standard for Barry Allen, and Melissa Benoist is a better Superman than Henry Cavill.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 am

Right...The Gifted. I have it queued up on TiVo but havent had a chance to watch it. Legion was good fun. I did like that one, it certainly was unlike any other superhero show out there.

There is one show coming up that I'm really excited about and that Scarlet. That comic series was absolutely awesome and I cannot wait to see what they bring to the table with live action.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:46 am

Arvald wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

At least the X-Men can be a part of the MCU again!

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:56 am

tanker27 wrote:
Speculation is that that they wouldnt put any money into it moving forward with their own branded service. I am ok with this. I have given HULU way too many tries but It's terrible to me when compared to Netflix. (the commercials are terrible)

Wait, what!? The paid version of Hulu has commercials? Is this Cable TV all over again?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Wait, what!? The paid version of Hulu has commercials? Is this Cable TV all over again?

There is only the paid version of Hulu now, and yes, it has commercial breaks. The days gone by when you could watch a handful of recent broadcast shows without a subscription, paid for exclusively by commercials, are long gone.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:40 pm

The commercial break tier of Hulu is cheaper. There's a more pricy no-commercial version, too. The low-tier Hulu is $8/month. The higher-tier Hulu plan is $12.

The four-screen Netflix plan is about to be $14.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Redocbew

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:44 pm

So long as there's a commercial free tier I guess that's ok. There'd be absolutely no reason why I'd pay for a streaming service that still has commercials.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Kougar

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:39 am

ludi wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

There is only the paid version of Hulu now, and yes, it has commercial breaks. The days gone by when you could watch a handful of recent broadcast shows without a subscription, paid for exclusively by commercials, are long gone.

Wow. I guess things have changed since I was last watching Hulu. :( Redocbew, I couldn't agree more.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:44 pm

As was said, there is a commercial-free tier, but I believe a few shows are excluded from that and still have commercials.

the
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:02 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
io9 wrote:
Properties like Avatar, The Simpsons, FX Networks and National Geographic will also fold into Disney’s portfolio according to the official release.

Does that mean Lisa Simpson is a Disney princess now? Exactly what she wouldn't want. :lol:

I don't think the deal covered any broadcast (which controls the Simpsons) or cable station since Disney already owns ABC networks and is a direct competitor. The transaction was carved specifically to keep that piece from going to Disney since it'd never pass by regulators anyway.

However, they did get a different princess added.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:45 am

Is anyone being engaged by the latest AoS storyline? I'm not. It feels a bit like Jackson's Hobbit -- there's a viable plot, but it's thin, like butter spread over too much bread. Reduce it by 33% and spruce up the action sequences a bit, and it would be more traditional MCU.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

superjawes

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:49 am

ludi wrote:
Is anyone being engaged by the latest AoS storyline? I'm not. It feels a bit like Jackson's Hobbit -- there's a viable plot, but it's thin, like butter spread over too much bread. Reduce it by 33% and spruce up the action sequences a bit, and it would be more traditional MCU.

I'm a "catch it on Netflix" guy when it comes to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I've been mostly "meh" on the whole thing since season 2. I think the main problem is that they kicked the old head of Marvel (whatshisname?) out of film production, so Agents is left to do things on its own, without any meaningful connection to the greater MCU, which was the whole appeal of season 1 (plus season 2, before they really diverged).

The secondary problem is the schedule. Agents is filling a time slot for half the year, but the main MCU events happen at irregular intervals (and usually during the summer, when Agents is off the air). The Netflix shows have been better, IMO, because they have a similar burst of action to the movies. They can do a storyline without the "tune in next week" dance. In hindsight, Agents would probably have been better as several mini-series. Just do 4-8 episodes multiple times a year around the movies to generate extra hype. Then your stories can be the leadup to [Film] and/or the fallout of [Film].

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:52 am

the wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
io9 wrote:

I don't think the deal covered any broadcast (which controls the Simpsons) or cable station since Disney already owns ABC networks and is a direct competitor. The transaction was carved specifically to keep that piece from going to Disney since it'd never pass by regulators anyway.

However, they did get a different princess added.

You can not think that, but the article explicitly mentioned the Simpsons as being part of the deal.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:30 am

One thing that I didnt realize with the deal right off is that Disney finally gets release rights to SW IV, V, VI. Maybe, just maybe we will get a blue ray release of the original theatrical versions. (its long shot though but I'll still have my Harmy's versions)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:21 am

Just saw Black Panther. I heard reviews of "OMG BEST MCU MOVIE YET" but I wouldn't go that far. Still, pretty good.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:07 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Just saw Black Panther. I heard reviews of "OMG BEST MCU MOVIE YET" but I wouldn't go that far. Still, pretty good.

I'd like to rent it since kids won't sit through it. Thanks for review.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:25 am

It's pretty good. Seems to follow (almost exactly with a few changes thrown in for the MCU) the late 80's -90's comics by Christopher Priest.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:05 pm

I would give Black Panther a Strong Like. My wife Adored it.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Redocbew

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:26 pm

A new trailer for season 2 of Jessica Jones was just released. There's some obvious scenes from season 1 mixed in which I hope is not an indication that they're thin on content. I can't imagine they would be given how long its been since season 1. The trailer is pretty awesome though. I'll be watching for sure.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:36 am

I'm excited for another season of Jessica Jones. It looks like yet another origin story, which is a shame, but at least it's going to be told through the lens of trying to figure out just what her origin is.

kvndoom

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:40 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

Saw it last night, and I'd give it a solid 8/10.

Couple of overused Hollywood tropes that annoyed me.. frankly they annoy me in any movie in which they appear though:

1) "My father told me that Wakanda has the most beautiful sunsets on earth." Automatically means that when the person who spoke it dies, they will die watching the sunset. I was thrilled that the killing blow was struck underground, but then... THEY TOOK THE ELEVATOR UP TO WATCH A SUNSET :evil:

2) Jabari king says "we are not going to help you." And just when all hope is lost, the Jabari come to the rescue. Color me surprised. :roll:

Honestly, even for its length, I left wishing it had been longer in order to flesh out even more detail. I don't often wish that a 2+ hour film had even more runtime.

"OMG BEST MCU MOVIE YET" is still Captain America 3 for me personally.
Last edited by kvndoom on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:50 am

Yes, both of those prevented me from totally 100% enjoying it and really dropped it down to "pretty good" in my book. I also agree with you that Civil War is OMG BEST MCU MOVIE.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:12 am

kvndoom, I totally agree with the painfully obvious foreshadowing you mention.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.